radar generators?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Rich, Mar 16, 2005.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Apologies if this has come up already, but someone in work today suggested
    that a good wheeze would be to strap a radar frequency generator to the back
    of the bike, so that all those nice radar detectors in all those nice cars
    would go "beep" and they'd slow down.

    Can you buy such devices and would it be legal to use them?

    Let's face it, many councils already use cyclists as mobile traffic-calming
    in narrowings, so why not go one better?

    Tags:

  2. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:90%[email protected]
    > Apologies if this has come up already, but someone in work today suggested
    > that a good wheeze would be to strap a radar frequency generator to the

    back
    > of the bike, so that all those nice radar detectors in all those nice cars
    > would go "beep" and they'd slow down.

    The downsides are:
    1, While the twats are checking their speedos they might not see you.
    2, When they jam on their brakes unexpectedly the twat tailgating them may
    rear-end them catapulting them into you.

    Sorry to be a damper to your enthusiasm ;-)

    Pete

  3. Rich wrote:

    > Apologies if this has come up already, but someone in work today suggested
    > that a good wheeze would be to strap a radar frequency generator to the back
    > of the bike, so that all those nice radar detectors in all those nice cars
    > would go "beep" and they'd slow down.
    >
    > Can you buy such devices and would it be legal to use them?
    >
    > Let's face it, many councils already use cyclists as mobile traffic-calming
    > in narrowings, so why not go one better?

    I suspect they'd contravene the Wireless Telegraphy Act, otherwise PS
    would have built some kind of radar-jamming system for the front of his car.

  4. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:90%[email protected]
    > Apologies if this has come up already, but someone in work today suggested
    > that a good wheeze would be to strap a radar frequency generator to the
    > back of the bike, so that all those nice radar detectors in all those nice
    > cars would go "beep" and they'd slow down.
    >
    > Can you buy such devices and would it be legal to use them?
    >
    > Let's face it, many councils already use cyclists as mobile
    > traffic-calming in narrowings, so why not go one better?

    Totally illegal. The only reason that detectors are legal is because it is
    our right to check for potentially dangerous stuff. They don't send, they
    are just checking for certain x-waves etc (or something).

    Personally, no problem with them. Get off the high horse, and encourage
    other people to cycle and get on the light side. The dark side soon calls
    after, or so I've heard.

  5. Treefrog

    Treefrog Guest

    "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:90%[email protected]
    > Apologies if this has come up already, but someone in work today suggested
    > that a good wheeze would be to strap a radar frequency generator to the

    back
    > of the bike, so that all those nice radar detectors in all those nice cars
    > would go "beep" and they'd slow down.
    >
    > Can you buy such devices and would it be legal to use them?
    >
    > Let's face it, many councils already use cyclists as mobile

    traffic-calming
    > in narrowings, so why not go one better?

    I think you could actually get away with it....

    The police use K band radar guns.... some automatic doors also use k band,
    so you could in theory put a "door opener trigger" on the back of your bike
    and trigger the snooper devices.

    Just a (probably inaccurate) thought.