Radial 360 36": Maiden voyage

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by steveyo, Sep 2, 2005.

  1. steveyo

    steveyo Guest

    Well the UPS guy set my Radial 360 36 inch wheeled unicycle on the
    porch, and when I opened the box I was filled with excitement and fear.
    The wheel, and its nice fat road tire, is just unbelievably huge. OK,
    so it's the same as a Coker, but the biggest wheel ever in our den was
    my KH29, and this new big wheel got "Wow"s from everyone.

    After the requisite seat-post cutting (I'm 5'6" tall...er...short), I
    mounted, then practiced a couple freemounts and then took a couple spins
    around the 'hood.

    Today, I finally got it out on the open road. I wobble just after
    mounting, but once I get going, mmmm. First time I've really had wind
    in my face and momentum in the wheel since I started unicycling, because
    I don't bike for exersize anymore.

    The pedals are not too grippy, but that's no prob, in fact kind of nice
    as I'm learning the intricasies of this new cycle. The wide UDC hub
    makes the wheel look and feel solid. The seat is surprisingly comfy
    with no mods, so that after a 2.25 hr ride my taint is only marginally
    sore.

    I had a route in mind that I used to road bike, a beautiful combo of
    farm roads and woods road, with rolling hills. I've never had time to
    uni it on smaller wheels, since it's about 21 miles. On this maiden
    voyage for my new big wheel I managed to do it in 2.25 hrs. Not exactly
    a blistering pace, but I'm happy with that speed on my first ride of
    this beast.

    Only thing of note, I was trying to accelerate across an intersection
    and took a fast, but normal forward UPD. (This was not a slammer like
    the "helmet breaking" thread). I landed mostly on my palms which were
    well protected by wrist guards, and banged/skinned my right knee. My
    knee was conspicuously not protected by my knee-guards, as they were
    home in the coat closet.

    Despite the wipeout, which was no fault of the uni, I'd give the ride a
    9.5 and the uni a 9, especially for the price.

    It seems easily upgradable, ie a Stockton wheel someday.

    --
    steveyo - Last will be first

    steveyo

    "I complained I need new shoes, until I met a man with no feet." -
    unknown

    "Do whatever steps you want if
    you have cleared them with the pontiff"- Tom Lehrer

  2. Chrashing

    Chrashing Guest

    Congratulations Steveyo! Thanks for the maiden ride news, I've been
    waiting to hear your news.

    Guess I'm gonna have to start wearing my wrist guards on street riding.

    My 360 won't be in until Tuesday night. Imagine, UDC shipped it the same
    day I ordered! Wow!

    Please tell more about the shortening of the seat post. I'm 5'7" with
    short legs, ,wear about a 29" inseam jeans. I'm prepared to cut the seat
    post, and possibly an inch off the frame. Do you think I'll need to
    shorten the frame?

    --
    Chrashing - Unicycles are flying machines!

    Regards,
    Ken
    Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

  3. steveyo

    steveyo Guest

    Chrashing wrote:
    > *Please tell more about the shortening of the seat post. I'm 5'7" with
    > short legs, ,wear about a 29" inseam jeans. I'm prepared to cut the
    > seat post, and possibly an inch off the frame. Do you think I'll need
    > to shorten the frame? *

    I don't think so. I used a pipe-cutter and took off maybe 2.5 or 3
    inches from the seatpost. Make sure not to remove too much - the lowest
    the seat will go and still clamp in tightly is just below the taper in
    the seatpost.

    --
    steveyo - Last will be first

    steveyo

    "I complained I need new shoes, until I met a man with no feet." -
    unknown

    "Do whatever steps you want if
    you have cleared them with the pontiff"- Tom Lehrer

  4. Chrashing

    Chrashing Guest

    Thank you Steveyo,

    It's good news that I might not need to cut the frame back. Thank you
    for the info. I had noticed the taper in the picture and ordered a
    non-tapered seat post and hex wrench seat clamp so I can lower the seat
    to the max.

    This should be a great weather upstate NY for Cokering this holiday
    weekend. I hope you can enjoy it.

    --
    Chrashing - Unicycles are flying machines!

    Regards,
    Ken
    Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

  5. litldude2

    litldude2 Guest

    Ya you wont need to cut the frame, i can ride a coker with a low seat
    post and I am only 5 feet tall.

    --
    litldude2 - Spencer

    Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
    ________________
    LitlDude2: you suck
    Byrnetown: yea
    ________________
    beware of the evan!

  6. Chrashing

    Chrashing Guest

    The Coker is nice. Especially the '360' with the gel saddle. It's the
    first uni that I didn't have to go out and buy an new seat for
    immediately. I'm gel'in when I'm riding a unicycle.

    When I took it out of the box, I actually wondered if I had made a big
    mistake. It had been a year since I'd seen Brian's Coker, and I never
    rode it. I'd forgotten how huge that wheel is.The size of that wheel is
    impressive and it scared me a bit.

    I did shorten the seat post and an inch of the frame. I measure 23
    inches from the center of the crank to bottom of the seat flange. I
    could ride it easily without shortening the frame, but getting another
    half inch lower seemed to really improve the comfort. (If you ever
    shorten a frame, be sure to lengthen that slot in the neck. )

    I've ridden the beast around the block. Yeah, it's a beast like Steveyo
    said. It's big and it is heavy, even compared to the 28" Sun. But it
    turns out that riding it is a pleasure, the momentum really makes for
    smooth ride, seems to take less effort that those smaller wheels on
    level streets. I'm still shy of the beast, but it wants to cruise.

    The biggest problem for me is that I haven't figured out how to free
    mount it yet. I'll work on that.