Radial lacing on Shimano hubs

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jon Wilson, Apr 3, 2003.

  1. Jon Wilson

    Jon Wilson Guest

    Does anyone have any experience of radial lacing on shimano hubs?

    I've just bought a pair of dura ace hubs, and I'm toying with the idea of radial lacing on the front
    and semi-radial on the rear.

    Tags:

  2. "Jon Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Does anyone have any experience of radial lacing on shimano hubs?
    >
    > I've just bought a pair of dura ace hubs, and I'm toying with the idea of radial lacing on the
    > front and semi-radial on the rear.

    What are you hoping to achieve by radial lacing?. There is no physical constraint to doing it, but
    you will invalidate the warranty.

    I have yet to see any benefit from radial lacing a road wheel apart from, it is a bit easier to
    clean the hub!

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Jon Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone have any experience of radial lacing on shimano hubs?
    >
    > I've just bought a pair of dura ace hubs, and I'm toying with the idea of radial lacing on the
    > front and semi-radial on the rear.

    heh-heh, read this as radical lacing ! Although I'm not familiar with radial lacing either, it does
    make a bit more sense than radical. Thought it might be lacing from rim to rim, miss the hub out
    altogether...now that's radical!!...wouldn't get you far though ! Sorry. Not much help.... I'll get
    me bike! Dave.

  4. Andy Welch

    Andy Welch Guest

    On 3-Apr-2003, "Jon Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Does anyone have any experience of radial lacing on shimano hubs?
    >
    > I've just bought a pair of dura ace hubs, and I'm toying with the idea of radial lacing on the
    > front and semi-radial on the rear.

    None that's going to be of much use I fear. I know that Shimano advise you not to do this and that
    it would invalidate any warranty on the hub. But you probably knew that already. I have also just
    bought some Dura Ace hubs and Open Pro rims and did also toy with the idea of radial (or some other
    unusual) lacing pattern. But the more I looked into it the more I realised that the 3X pattern
    became the norm for a good reason. Radial is fashionable at the moment but 3X will give you a
    strong, stiff wheel and thew weight penalty over radial lacing is next to nothing.

    I did use black spokes and black rims so can't claim to be totally immune to fashion :)

    Cheers,

    Andy

    ps. For some reason the holes on the drive side of my (rear) Dura Ace hub were smaller than on the
    other side. Small enough that getting 2/1.8/2mm DT double butted spokes through was a struggle.
    But I checked with a hub at the LBS and that was the same so I guess it is normal and once the
    wheel is under tension the spokes seem to seat OK.