Radial lacing on Shimano hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jon Wilson

Does anyone have any experience of radial lacing on shimano hubs?

I've just bought a pair of dura ace hubs, and I'm toying with the idea of radial lacing on the front
and semi-radial on the rear.

"Jon Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Does anyone have any experience of radial lacing on shimano hubs?
>
> I've just bought a pair of dura ace hubs, and I'm toying with the idea of radial lacing on the
> front and semi-radial on the rear.

What are you hoping to achieve by radial lacing?. There is no physical constraint to doing it, but
you will invalidate the warranty.

I have yet to see any benefit from radial lacing a road wheel apart from, it is a bit easier to
clean the hub!

"Jon Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> I've just bought a pair of dura ace hubs, and I'm toying with the idea of radial lacing on the
>
heh-heh, read this as radical lacing ! Although I'm not familiar with radial lacing either, it does
make a bit more sense than radical. Thought it might be lacing from rim to rim, miss the hub out
altogether...now that's radical!!...wouldn't get you far though ! Sorry. Not much help.... I'll get
me bike! Dave.

On 3-Apr-2003, "Jon Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>

None that's going to be of much use I fear. I know that Shimano advise you not to do this and that
it would invalidate any warranty on the hub. But you probably knew that already. I have also just
bought some Dura Ace hubs and Open Pro rims and did also toy with the idea of radial (or some other
unusual) lacing pattern. But the more I looked into it the more I realised that the 3X pattern
became the norm for a good reason. Radial is fashionable at the moment but 3X will give you a
strong, stiff wheel and thew weight penalty over radial lacing is next to nothing.

I did use black spokes and black rims so can't claim to be totally immune to fashion :)

Cheers,

Andy

ps. For some reason the holes on the drive side of my (rear) Dura Ace hub were smaller than on the
other side. Small enough that getting 2/1.8/2mm DT double butted spokes through was a struggle.
But I checked with a hub at the LBS and that was the same so I guess it is normal and once the
wheel is under tension the spokes seem to seat OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.