Radial spoked 20" wheel?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by M. Chandler, Jan 24, 2005.

  1. M. Chandler

    M. Chandler Guest

    I'm building up a new front wheel for my LWB recumbent, and have been
    toying with the idea of lacing it with a radial spoke pattern. The rim
    is a Velocity Aeroheat (ISO 406) and the hub is a Shimano LX unit. Even
    with such a small, lightly loaded wheel, would the radial pattern be a
    really bad idea?

    --
    Mark Chandler
    Superior, CO
    http://www.MileHighSkates.com
     
    Tags:


  2. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    M. Chandler wrote:

    > I'm building up a new front wheel for my LWB recumbent, and have been
    > toying with the idea of lacing it with a radial spoke pattern. The rim
    > is a Velocity Aeroheat (ISO 406) and the hub is a Shimano LX unit. Even
    > with such a small, lightly loaded wheel, would the radial pattern be a
    > really bad idea?


    I have seen several cases of people having problems with radially built
    wheels on the front of Easy Racers, which is a similar loading condition
    to your bike (estimated 35%/65% front/rear weight distribution).

    --
    Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island
     
  3. Tom Sherman wrote:
    > M. Chandler wrote:
    >
    > > I'm building up a new front wheel for my LWB recumbent, and have

    been
    > > toying with the idea of lacing it with a radial spoke pattern. The

    rim
    > > is a Velocity Aeroheat (ISO 406) and the hub is a Shimano LX unit.

    Even
    > > with such a small, lightly loaded wheel, would the radial pattern

    be a
    > > really bad idea?

    >
    > I have seen several cases of people having problems with radially

    built
    > wheels on the front of Easy Racers, which is a similar loading

    condition
    > to your bike (estimated 35%/65% front/rear weight distribution).
    >
    > --
    > Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island


    Sounds like insufficient tension to me. My wife's Tour Easy has a
    28-spoke front wheel laced radially, and it hasn't had to be trued or
    tensioned since I built it 4 years ago- it used to be on the front of
    my Lightning. The front wheel of my Tour Easy was laced radially until
    a truck ran over it- I relaced it with an Alex rim, which required
    1-cross lacing in order to reuse the same spokes.

    (I know Jobst will probably slap me upside the head for switching
    lacing patterns and head in/head out spokes, but so far, no problems.)
    Jeff
     
  4. [email protected] wrote:

    > Tom Sherman wrote:
    >> M. Chandler wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm building up a new front wheel for my LWB recumbent, and have been
    >>> toying with the idea of lacing it with a radial spoke pattern. The rim
    >>> is a Velocity Aeroheat (ISO 406) and the hub is a Shimano LX unit. Even
    >>> with such a small, lightly loaded wheel, would the radial pattern be a
    >>> really bad idea?

    >>
    >> I have seen several cases of people having problems with radially built
    >> wheels on the front of Easy Racers, which is a similar loading condition
    >> to your bike (estimated 35%/65% front/rear weight distribution).

    >
    > Sounds like insufficient tension to me.


    I don't think that can be decided without knowing more about the nature of
    the problems. For example, what if they were hub flange failures?

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Tip the world over on its side and everything loose will land in Los Angeles.
    -- Frank Lloyd Wright
     
  5. I have generally used radially laced wheels on the front of LWB bikes
    with _NO_ problems.

    The wheels I used were mainly ones that I built myself and most of the
    miles were using Airfree Tires.

    Lewis.

    **********
     
  6. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Benjamin Lewis wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Tom Sherman wrote:
    >>
    >>>M. Chandler wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>I'm building up a new front wheel for my LWB recumbent, and have been
    >>>>toying with the idea of lacing it with a radial spoke pattern. The rim
    >>>>is a Velocity Aeroheat (ISO 406) and the hub is a Shimano LX unit. Even
    >>>>with such a small, lightly loaded wheel, would the radial pattern be a
    >>>>really bad idea?
    >>>
    >>>I have seen several cases of people having problems with radially built
    >>>wheels on the front of Easy Racers, which is a similar loading condition
    >>>to your bike (estimated 35%/65% front/rear weight distribution).

    >>
    >>Sounds like insufficient tension to me.

    >
    >
    > I don't think that can be decided without knowing more about the nature of
    > the problems. For example, what if they were hub flange failures?


    It was a matter of the spokes coming loose, so it may just have been a
    build problem. The wheels were re-laced on the same hubs two-cross and
    have not had problems since (as far as I know).

    --
    Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island
     
  7. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > I have generally used radially laced wheels on the front of LWB bikes
    > with _NO_ problems.
    >
    > The wheels I used were mainly ones that I built myself and most of the
    > miles were using Airfree Tires.


    Lewis,

    How high was the tension on the spokes on your wheels?

    --
    Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island
     
  8. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    M. Chandler wrote:
    > I'm building up a new front wheel for my LWB recumbent, and have been
    > toying with the idea of lacing it with a radial spoke pattern. The rim
    > is a Velocity Aeroheat (ISO 406) and the hub is a Shimano LX unit. Even
    > with such a small, lightly loaded wheel, would the radial pattern be a
    > really bad idea?



    Well, what will be better about it? Stronger? no. Lighter?
    Sure, by the weight of a few mm of spoke length.

    There are known flange failures from radial spoking but it's
    not all that common, either ( manufacturer's warnings
    notwithstanding).

    There's probbaly no harm on a small wheel, they being
    generally less trouble radial than bigger ones, but it won't
    make anything better, either. If you think it's pretty, go
    for it.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971
     
  9. Tom Sherman wrote:

    > Benjamin Lewis wrote:
    >
    >> [email protected] wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tom Sherman wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> M. Chandler wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> I'm building up a new front wheel for my LWB recumbent, and have been
    >>>>> toying with the idea of lacing it with a radial spoke pattern. The
    >>>>> rim is a Velocity Aeroheat (ISO 406) and the hub is a Shimano LX
    >>>>> unit. Even with such a small, lightly loaded wheel, would the radial
    >>>>> pattern be a really bad idea?
    >>>>
    >>>> I have seen several cases of people having problems with radially
    >>>> built wheels on the front of Easy Racers, which is a similar loading
    >>>> condition to your bike (estimated 35%/65% front/rear weight
    >>>> distribution).
    >>>
    >>> Sounds like insufficient tension to me.

    >> I don't think that can be decided without knowing more about the nature
    >> of the problems. For example, what if they were hub flange failures?

    >
    > It was a matter of the spokes coming loose, so it may just have been a
    > build problem. The wheels were re-laced on the same hubs two-cross and
    > have not had problems since (as far as I know).


    Ah. I believe Sheldon Brown has mentioned that this can be a problem with
    radially laced wheels, because the spokes are more in line with the holes
    in the rim, and this creates less friction between the nipples and the rim,
    which are thus more apt to turn.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Tip the world over on its side and everything loose will land in Los Angeles.
    -- Frank Lloyd Wright
     
  10. >>>>>
    How high was the tension on the spokes on your wheels?
    <<<<<

    I have not measured it but, as with all wheels using Airfree Tires, the
    spokes need to be _really_ tight.

    Lewis.

    ******
     
  11. Steve Knight

    Steve Knight Guest

    I have a arrowhead laced such 36 spoke I think on my road bike it has held up
    very well under my weight and abuse.

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
    Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices
    See http://www.knight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.
     
Loading...
Loading...