Radial spoking-which hubs to choose?

Jun 6, 2006
What hubs have given good results when radially spoked? Please share your experiences, good or bad. I am looking for something in the tiagra/105 price range & would consider ebay. I have some 36-hole rims.

Sheldon Brown says any hub which is forged, but how do you tell if a bike hub is
forged?

I can't help but recall the picture I saw of a radial front hub with several spokes pulled out.

garage sale GT said:
What hubs have given good results when radially spoked? Please share your experiences, good or bad. I am looking for something in the tiagra/105 price range & would consider ebay. I have some 36-hole rims.

Sheldon Brown says any hub which is forged, but how do you tell if a bike hub is
forged?

I can't help but recall the picture I saw of a radial front hub with several spokes pulled out.

Most hubs would be fine but since nobody else has asked, why radial? Does nothing really except make it easier to lace.

Peter@vecchios said:
Most hubs would be fine but since nobody else has asked, why radial? Does nothing really except make it easier to lace.
For the front, I like the look (I don't want to argue that that's the ONLY reason, that's just MY reason). For the back wheel, half radial spoking may improve fatigue life of spokes. I have also just decided an excellent reason is that it makes them easier to lace.

However, looking at a hub it is clear there is much less metal for the spoke to pull through if the hub is spoked radially.

I have selected my hubs. Thank you for all the replies. Ultegras were on sale, they come in a 36, and the info said they were ok for radial spoking. Thanks much, NASHBAR. Good price.