Radially laced 36-spoke hub on 32-spoke rim

Anthony DeLorenzo

Guest
Badly in need of some stress relief -- me, not the wheel -- I stopped
by LBS after work yesterday to get a rim and some spokes to build up a
front wheel. I picked up a 32-hole Sun CR-18, thinking that the DT
Swiss hub I had knocking around my parts bin was also 32 holes. I had
planned to make this my first radial wheel.

Turns out it was actually a 36 hole hub. Against the prevailing r.b.t
wisdom I decided to lace it anyways. I reasoned that I've seen enough
odd wheels in the shops with very few spokes, missing spokes, weird
patterns, I figured why not?

The radial spoking meant that spoke lengths or lacing pattern wasn't
an issue, and I would still be filling all the holes in the rim. I
grouped the spokes in sets of eight and offset the missing spokes on
the left and right flanges. The wheel built up very well, feeling
strong and staying true even after I did a thorough job of initial
stress relief.

I plan to throw it on the front of my fixed commuter for a few test
rides. I weigh over 120 kg (and would never ride a radial wheel
myself), so I figure if it can survive that and stay true it should be
fine for the 75 kg rider I'm building it for.

I'll update this thread with results, but I'm interested to hear
comments from r.b.t posters on this.

Regards,
Anthony

Anthony DeLorenzo wrote:

> I'll update this thread with results, but I'm interested to hear
> comments from r.b.t posters on this.

It probably will work reasonably well, much better than the 3x rear
wheel I once built with a 36-hole hub and 32-hole rim. That took a
whole lot of different spoke lengths.

--

David L. Johnson

If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach
a conclusion. -- George Bernard Shaw

On Apr 19, 5:16 pm, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Anthony DeLorenzo wrote:
> > I'll update this thread with results, but I'm interested to hear
> > comments from r.b.t posters on this.

Many years ago I built a radial 36-spoke wheel. After riding a while,
I decided it didn't have enough tension (this was back before Jobst's
book). While tensioning the wheel on a truing stand, I heard a loud
"BANG!" and was pelted with shrapnel. One-fourth of one flange had
broken off, tossing pieces of broken flange all about the room. The
remaining "good" half eventually became a shift knob for my VW.

This was on an old OMAS hub, so your DT may be adequate. I'd hate to
find out on the road, though.

Jeff

Anthony DeLorenzo said:
... picked up a 32-hole Sun CR-18, thinking .. the ..hub ..was also 32 holes. I had planned to make this my first radial wheel.
Turns out it was actually a 36 hole hub. .. I decided to lace it anyways.

I've got 2000 km on a front built up like that, still seems to be doing OK.

JeffWills wrote:

> Many years ago I built a radial 36-spoke wheel. After riding a while,
> I decided it didn't have enough tension (this was back before Jobst's
> book). While tensioning the wheel on a truing stand, I heard a loud
> "BANG!" and was pelted with shrapnel. One-fourth of one flange had
> broken off, tossing pieces of broken flange all about the room. The
> remaining "good" half eventually became a shift knob for my VW.
>
> This was on an old OMAS hub, so your DT may be adequate. I'd hate to
> find out on the road, though.

This is a separate issue from using 32/36 rim/hub. I've built, however,
several radial front wheel, both 36 (high flange) and 32 spokes. Never
had a problem like that yet.

--

David L. Johnson

If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach
a conclusion. -- George Bernard Shaw

On Apr 20, 4:57 pm, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> JeffWills wrote:
> > Many years ago I built a radial 36-spoke wheel. After riding a while,
> > I decided it didn't have enough tension (this was back before Jobst's
> > book). While tensioning the wheel on a truing stand, I heard a loud
> > "BANG!" and was pelted with shrapnel. One-fourth of one flange had
> > broken off, tossing pieces of broken flange all about the room. The
> > remaining "good" half eventually became a shift knob for my VW.

> > This was on an old OMAS hub, so your DT may be adequate. I'd hate to
> > find out on the road, though.

> This is a separate issue from using 32/36 rim/hub. I've built, however,
> several radial front wheel, both 36 (high flange) and 32 spokes. Never
> had a problem like that yet.

Ummm... well... it was a low-flange 36-hole hub. Combine minimal
material between the spokes and a bunch of tension and "BANG!" . A
newer DT hub may have more flange material, but I don't really know.

Jeff

By way of update, the wheel seems quite strong and has held true after
a number of rides with my 120 kg+ self on it. I have subjected it to
the usual bumps of city riding, long standing climbs mashing on a
fixed gear, some gravel road and a 15 km ride on some very rough chip
seal. I'm actually liking it so much I am tempted to keep the wheel on
my bike.

Regards,
Anthony

Anthony DeLorenzo writes:

> By way of update, the wheel seems quite strong and has held true after
> a number of rides with my 120 kg+ self on it. I have subjected it to
> the usual bumps of city riding, long standing climbs mashing on a
> fixed gear, some gravel road and a 15 km ride on some very rough chip
> seal. I'm actually liking it so much I am tempted to keep the wheel on
> my bike.

What is it that "I'm actually liking it so much"? Either is rides
inconspicuously or it causes problems. How does it differ form other
usable wheels?

Jobst Brandt

On Apr 22, 9:43 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> What is it that "I'm actually liking it so much"? Either is rides
> inconspicuously or it causes problems. How does it differ form other
> usable wheels?

The biggest reason is because I built it myself. This is only my
third wheel, and it is replacing a wheel on this particular bike that
I did not build. I'm quite thrilled and, indeed, amazed that I have
been able to build my own wheels that, in my experience so far, are
proving themselves reliable and trouble-free. And, I won't lie, I
think it looks better with the radial spokes.

Basically, it's all about vanity. :)

Regards,
Anthony