Radical Gastrectomy Help

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by [email protected], Mar 11, 2004.

  1. Hello everyone,

    I am seeking advice regarding bile reflux. My mother had
    a radical gastrectomy about 7 years ago, at first she had
    a difficult time holding down food but had been doing
    alot better.

    The problem right now is that she sometimes feels a burning
    sensation along her asophagus, her doctor says its Bile,
    and she takes Carafate to keep it under control. It helps
    but still does not totally keep the bile under control,
    often at night she says she feels the same burning
    sensation come back.

    I am worried that this "burning" might be wearing away her
    asophagus, and I am wondering if anybody has any advice.
    I've asked the doc but he has no further suggestion beyond
    Carafate, does anybody have any ideas?

    I've been trying to find resources on the net for people who
    have had radical gastrectomies and their experiences, but so
    far have come up empty.

    Thank you for listening, and best wishes to all those other
    folks out there who are sick or suffering.

    Tags:

  2. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I am seeking advice regarding bile reflux. My mother had
    > a radical gastrectomy about 7 years ago, at first she had
    > a difficult time holding down food but had been doing
    > alot better.
    >
    > The problem right now is that she sometimes feels a
    > burning sensation along her asophagus, her doctor says its
    > Bile, and she takes Carafate to keep it under control. It
    > helps but still does not totally keep the bile under
    > control, often at night she says she feels the same
    > burning sensation come back.
    >
    > I am worried that this "burning" might be wearing away her
    > asophagus, and I am wondering if anybody has any advice.
    > I've asked the doc but he has no further suggestion beyond
    > Carafate, does anybody have any ideas?
    >
    > I've been trying to find resources on the net for people
    > who have had radical gastrectomies and their experiences,
    > but so far have come up empty.
    >
    > Thank you for listening, and best wishes to all those
    > other folks out there who are sick or suffering.

    It would be important to know how her esophagus was re-
    connected to the rest of her intestinal tract after the
    stomach was removed. Normally it would be done in a
    configuration called "roux-en-y". This routes all of the
    bile and pancreatic enzymes well downstream from the
    esophagus. Sometimes, the esophagus may be reconnected to
    the small intestine as just an in-continuity loop. This is a
    bad way to do it because all of the bile etc must flow right
    by the esophagus.

    If she is having a lot of bile reflux, then the esophagus
    was either reattached via an in-continuity loop, or the
    surgeon didn't make a long enough intestinal limb for the
    roux-en-y. In either case, re-operation would be the only
    way to stop the bile reflux.

    Bile reflux is indeed a problem in that is does severely
    irritate the lower esophagus. It can acutely increase the
    risk of severe esophagitis, and chronically increase the
    risk of esophageal cancer. She should re-visit her surgeon.
    She needs an upper GI endoscopy, and she needs to understand
    how the esophagus was re-connected. Get a copy of her
    operative report and visit another surgeon for a second
    opinion if necessary. If re-operation is required, as it
    probably is, some surgeons can do that laparoscopically.

    HMc