Radio Appearance

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by paul royle, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. paul royle

    paul royle Guest

    I've been asked to appear on the BBC London Saturday Breakfast show
    tomorrow, to talk about Unicycle Hockey, and giving a demo. Anyone
    in/near London will be able to hear it at about 6:45am. They're sending
    a taxi to pick me up at 6am :eek:

    Any tips for appearing on radio and not making a fool of yourself?

    Paul

    --
    paul royle
    paul royle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5572

  2. GILD

    GILD Guest

    Thanx for the heads-up John.

    paul royle wrote:
    > Any tips for appearing on radio and not making a fool of yourself?

    Prepare. Prepare. Prepare.

    You can't ask the presenter to send you the list of questions (and
    you'd be surprised at the amount of people who try...) but you can
    prepare yourself for the basics. I'll get back to this in a mo.

    Some technical bits.
    Wear the headphones and make sure they're adjusted to a comfortable
    level so you can clearly hear the host and clearly hear your own
    voice.

    Find out how long the insert is going to be. If you're in for a 5
    minute chat, that's an entirely different ballgame to preparing for a
    30 minute interview.

    Keep eye-contact with the presenter so you can tell when he wants you
    to wrap up an answer. If you get a chance to listen to the show ahead
    of time, or even just the bit before you go on, you'll get an idea of
    the 'pace' of the presenter. If you can get into sync, it'll make for a
    better interview.

    Make clear and concise notes so you can check details. If you want to
    mention the german silent movie 'Variete'
    (http://www.mpch-mainz.mpg.de/~sander/uni/faq.html#2) when you're asked
    about the history of Unihoki, ok ok just for today...unicycle hockey,
    make sure you make a note of it else you might forget the name of the
    movie at the most inopportune moment and sound like an idiot.
    Also make a note of the presenter's name and write that on your notes.
    For bands going in for interviews I normally recommend wearing name
    badges. It sounds frightfully naff but it can and does happen that a
    presenter forgets a name and nothing makes you sound like a nobody
    quite as much as a radio presenter forgetting your name in the middle
    of an interview. Since you'll be on your own (?) it probably isn't that
    much of an issue.
    But it can't hurt.

    Relax.
    Accept that a microphone is not a sound conveying device, it's a
    gateway to another strange little world where the most arrogant of
    idiots become, and sound like, whimpering idiots and the most
    soft-spoken people come over as very personable and approachable.
    You will feel slightly nervous, that's natural. Just chill and have a
    chat.
    You're only ever talking to one person at a time. Please [personal
    bugbear warning] do not use phrases like 'you people', 'all the people
    out there' or 'listener*s*'.
    If you want me to explain why, shout.
    But relax. It's not an exam, it's an opportunity to chat about
    something you know as much about as most and something you really enjoy
    doing.
    Make sure you have a smile on your face while you're talking. Practise
    forcing yourself to smile. You sound much friendlier when you do. This
    is important in radio. Take a pocket mirror so you can make sure you're
    smiling all the time. (I'm serious.)

    Onto some of the question you might be asked.
    You're likely to get a general attitude (at first) along the lines of
    'Why play hockey on a unicycle?', 'Are you crazy?' or 'Are you out of
    your mind?!?'
    This won't be meant in an insulting way, just take a step back and
    realise that to non-unicyclists, playing hockey on a uni -is- an
    extremely weird thing to do.
    Handle it with grace, smiles and 'because we can' or 'because it's a
    lot of fun'.
    Then work in some of the technical stuff. The fact that there are
    international rules will help people realise that alltho it's decidedly
    odd, it is a legitimate sport.
    Once you've crossed that little hurdle, the rest will be a cakewalk.
    Expect 'bread-and-butter' questions like

    How did it start?
    Where did it start?
    When did it start?
    Who started it?
    (Yeah, it's pretty much the 5Ws)
    Where do you play?
    Rules?

    Play with all these questions in your head and start figuring out some
    answers so you have some idea of what you'll want to say.

    Most importantly, relax and have fun.

    I'm looking forward to some of the other radio people on the fora to
    chime in here as well.

    --
    GILD

    'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
    (http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'map'
    (http://www.frappr.com/unicycleworld)
    _if_i'm_murdered,_don't_execute_my_killer._
    'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

  3. nickjb

    nickjb Guest

    Have a few useful contacts ready (like web addresses and phone numbers)

    As Gild said, ask for a list of questions and topics. When we did a
    live thingy on BBC1 (with the great Toby Anstis) we ran though the
    whole interview first than did it again live. I expect the chap will
    know nothing about unicycling so you can probably steer it quite a bit.

    --
    nickjb
    nickjb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1074

  4. GILD

    GILD Guest

    At the risk of sounding argumentative, pick one contact number and one
    email addy OR website.
    People don't listen to the radio with a notepad and pen at hand. If you
    repeat one number or website two or three times there's a better chance
    of people remembering it than when you mention two or three different
    numbers.

    --
    GILD

    'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
    (http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'map'
    (http://www.frappr.com/unicycleworld)
    _if_i'm_murdered,_don't_execute_my_killer._
    'harper'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=312771&highlight=individuals#post312771)

    'NAMASTE!'
    (http://www.tribalmessenger.org/t-peace/11-23-03-talking-with-god.htm)

    'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

  5. paul royle

    paul royle Guest

    Thanks Gild, Nick, good advice.

    I've been trawling through the 'unicycle hockey page'
    (http://dionysos.mpch-mainz.mpg.de/~sander/uni/) and there's plenty of
    background stuff on there that I'm about to print off.

    I could quite easily talk for hours about unicycling (I'm sure many of
    us could ;) ) but it might not make for good radio! Hopefully the
    questions will be sensible and I'll be able to steer the conversation
    away from how "crazy" we are and towards how much fun it is and how
    much easier it is to learn than people might expect.

    Expect a post mortem tomorrow sometime...

    Paul

    --
    paul royle
    paul royle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5572

  6. keg

    keg Guest

  7. koebwil

    koebwil Guest

  8. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    keg wrote:
    > The live webstream for BBC London is available here:
    >
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/
    >
    > There is also a webcam :D
    >
    > Now to decide whether to set the alarm that early :eek:

    Heads up for those on the forum at this time. Tune in to the BBC now
    to hopefully catch Paul on the radio. About 10 minutes to go till the
    show.

    --
    john_childs

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
    'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

  9. keg

    keg Guest

    Unfortunately the webcam update was ~5min, although they told any online
    listeners to look the best pic was Paul picking up the uni (I think!).

    |Filename: radiostudio1a.jpg |

    keg
    keg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/212

  10. paul royle

    paul royle Guest

    I'm back home now. It was fun! I've never listened to the BBC London
    Breakfast show so the first time I heard it was in their foyer while I
    was waiting to go through to the studio. It's a topical talkshow with a
    presenter and two co-presenters, i was a little nervous about them
    poking fun (in a negative way) at unicycling, but they were really
    nice. They'd done their research and had quite a lot of pages from the
    'net printed out, I spotted some photos from the International Unicycle
    Hockey Page, and they mentioned that the first reference to hockey was
    1925 (thanks Dave!), which surprised me a little!

    The interview/piece itself was very short and they didn't really run
    through what was going to happen, they just took me into the studio and
    we started talking, I was hoping there'd be a record before I went on
    air and they'd do a quick brief about what we were going to do, but no
    such luck. It was surprisingly easy though, much easier than I
    expected!

    They wanted me to ride the uni in the studio so that people could look
    on the webcam but I guess from Keith's post that it didn't show. I
    managed to get one of the co-presenters to get on the uni (leaning on
    me and another guy for support) which I think worked well with the
    banter between the three of them. Then they asked me to demonstrate
    some stretches/warm up exercises for the listeners at home, this was
    probably the worst bit, but I don't think it mattered too much. I
    managed to get the UUU web address in because it's the easiest UK web
    address to remember, apart from Roger's (sorry Roger!).

    I don't suppose we'll get many new recruits as a result of this, but it
    was good fun and pretty easy, apart from getting up at 5:30am.

    Did anyone catch it? How did it sound?

    Paul

    --
    paul royle
    paul royle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5572

  11. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    paul royle wrote:
    > Did anyone catch it? How did it sound?

    I heard it. Sounded good. It fit in with the rest of their show.
    They seem to like demonstrating things on the air. They're busy with
    an imaginary driving tour right now and are still busy trying to get
    the female presenter to do the splits on the air.

    --
    john_childs

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
    'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

  12. unicus

    unicus Guest

    Nice one, I thought you did very well Paul and yes the warm up bit was
    not the best idea they had.

    I’ve only just listened to it as it was too early for me to get up (I
    set my PC to record the live web steam ;) )

    --
    unicus

    'Photos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Photos-from-unicus)
    'Videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/unicus)
    unicus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/869

  13. keg

    keg Guest

    unicus wrote:

    > I’ve only just listened to it as it was too early for me to get up (I
    > set my PC to record the live web steam ;) )

    That was a much more social way of listening, I didn't have time to
    work out how to do it last night. Although it was not a problem as the
    kids decided to get up very early today :(

    The first mention was at 0635 when they said it looks like someone from
    the circus has just arrived, this was the only circus comment.

    Paul - you were correct getting the presenter on the Uni worked
    surpisingly well on the radio, the descriptions came over clearly,
    shame the webcam did not update at the key time. I got the impression
    the warm up bit is something that happens every Saturday, although for
    a one-off this was the weakest bit.

    --
    keg
    keg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/212

  14. GILD

    GILD Guest

    paul royle wrote:
    > It was fun!

    That means you won. Congrats!

    paul royle wrote:

    > They'd done their research

    Nice to hear that they were prepared and didn't just treat it as a
    freak-insert.

    paul royle wrote:
    > It was surprisingly easy though, much easier than I expected!

    Some more good news. I can't wait to hear this interview.

    paul royle wrote:
    > I don't suppose we'll get many new recruits as a result of this

    You might be surprised. I once phoned into a local station's 'swop
    shop' offering to swop anyone with an unused uni for a set of juggling
    balls (i didn't really want the unis, I just wanted people to know
    there was a uni-club in town so they could get riding again).
    A Lady heard this, didn't catch the contact detail, but managed to
    trace my thru this forum and phoned me about a week later. The forum
    knows her as Jayne ZA.
    You might also never hear from people who (after hearing the interview)
    decided to give that uni in the closet just one more go.
    You got the word out to a whole bunch of people (what's their
    listenership?).

    Well done.

    unicus wrote:
    > I set my PC to record the live web steam

    Can't you post the audio to a gallery?

    --
    GILD

    'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
    (http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'map'
    (http://www.frappr.com/unicycleworld)
    _if_i'm_murdered,_don't_execute_my_killer._
    'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

  15. unicus

    unicus Guest

    GILD wrote:
    > Can't you post the audio to a gallery?

    Yes I can, have a look 'here' (http://tinyurl.com/84ltd) .

    I've also uploaded a radio interview Alan Chambers did.

    (BTW both are MP3 files)

    --
    unicus

    'Photos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Photos-from-unicus)
    'Videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/unicus)
    unicus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/869

  16. GILD

    GILD Guest

    unicus wrote:
    > Yes I can, have a look 'here' (http://tinyurl.com/84ltd) .

    You are totally the man.
    I'm listening to it right now. Sounds like a fun time.
    Good to hear the presenter understood the concept of rolling the wheel
    back towards you during the mount.
    Good insert, they did seem to get rather side-tracked with the exercise
    and breathing thing.

    --

    (http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/1539/)
    'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

  17. unicus

    unicus Guest

    GILD wrote:
    > You are totally the man.

    Thanks, it's no problem.

    I found another radio interview lurking on my hard drive so I’ve
    uploaded it to 'here' (http://tinyurl.com/84ltd). It’s by the Cumbria
    Muni & Trials club.

    Sorry Paul for using this thread to mention other radio interviews but
    I thought it would give the thread a deserved bump :D

    --
    unicus

    'Photos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Photos-from-unicus)
    'Videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/unicus)
    unicus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/869

  18. paul royle

    paul royle Guest

    unicus wrote:

    > Sorry Paul for using this thread to mention other radio interviews but
    > I thought it would give the thread a deserved bump :D

    No problem :) It's great to hear them. I'd heard about Alan's, but
    never heard it.

    Isn't it about time there was someone from the UK unicycling on TV?
    Someone who's a bit mad and rode a very long way in the cold and dark
    perhaps....