Radio report

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Peter Fox, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. Peter Fox

    Peter Fox Guest

    I'm told that there was a report on the BBC this morning from some Royal institute that spending on
    cycling was being cut and targets abandoned. Anyone hear this and got the details?
    --
    PETER FOX Not the same since the exam marking business failed

    Tags:

  2. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    Peter Fox wrote:

    > I'm told that there was a report on the BBC this morning from some Royal institute that spending
    > on cycling was being cut and targets abandoned. Anyone hear this and got the details?
    > --
    > PETER FOX Not the same since the exam marking business failed

    There have been several references on local radio this morning to an ICE (Inst. of Civil Engineers)
    report on the deterioratoion of roads, cyclepaths and footpaths and that there is an £8.5billion
    maintenance backlog. A main point is that LA funds are being diverted to other spending - health,
    education, jollies.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3186991.stm

    John B

  3. Paul Kelly

    Paul Kelly Guest

    "JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Peter Fox wrote:
    >
    > > I'm told that there was a report on the BBC this morning from some Royal institute that spending
    > > on cycling was being cut and targets abandoned. Anyone hear this and got the details?
    > > --
    > > PETER FOX Not the same since the exam marking business failed

    > There have been several references on local radio this morning to an ICE (Inst. of Civil
    > Engineers) report on the deterioratoion of roads, cyclepaths and footpaths and that there is an
    > £8.5billion maintenance backlog. A main point is that LA funds are being diverted to other
    > spending - health, education, jollies.

    i think you will find there is even more concern about funding being diverted FROM education

    pk

  4. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Paul Kelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > A main point is that LA funds are being diverted to other spending - health, education, jollies.
    >
    > i think you will find there is even more concern about funding being diverted FROM education

    And health is not an LA function.

    So that leaves jollies!!

  5. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    Paul Kelly wrote:

    > "JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > Peter Fox wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm told that there was a report on the BBC this morning from some Royal institute that
    > > > spending on cycling was being cut and targets abandoned. Anyone hear this and got the details?
    > > > --
    > > > PETER FOX Not the same since the exam marking business failed

    > > There have been several references on local radio this morning to an ICE (Inst. of Civil
    > > Engineers) report on the deterioratoion of roads, cyclepaths and footpaths and that there is an
    > > £8.5billion maintenance backlog. A main point is that LA funds are being diverted to other
    > > spending - health, education, jollies.
    >
    > i think you will find there is even more concern about funding being diverted FROM education

    It seems to be a disease of the times - always blame someone/something else for shortfalls :-(

    John B

  6. Peter Fox

    Peter Fox Guest

    Thanks.

    Here is the way to the report. <http://www.ice.org> Folllow the Government, News & Events link

    --
    PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded

    Witham Cycling Campaign www.eminent.demon.co.uk/wcc.htm East Anglian Pub cycle rides
    www.eminent.demon.co.uk/rides