Radio report

Peter Fox

Guest
I'm told that there was a report on the BBC this morning from some Royal institute that spending on
cycling was being cut and targets abandoned. Anyone hear this and got the details?
--
PETER FOX Not the same since the exam marking business failed

Peter Fox wrote:

> I'm told that there was a report on the BBC this morning from some Royal institute that spending
> on cycling was being cut and targets abandoned. Anyone hear this and got the details?
> --
> PETER FOX Not the same since the exam marking business failed

There have been several references on local radio this morning to an ICE (Inst. of Civil Engineers)
report on the deterioratoion of roads, cyclepaths and footpaths and that there is an £8.5billion
maintenance backlog. A main point is that LA funds are being diverted to other spending - health,
education, jollies.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3186991.stm

John B

"JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Peter Fox wrote:
>
> > I'm told that there was a report on the BBC this morning from some Royal institute that spending
> > on cycling was being cut and targets abandoned. Anyone hear this and got the details?
> > --
> > PETER FOX Not the same since the exam marking business failed

> There have been several references on local radio this morning to an ICE (Inst. of Civil
> Engineers) report on the deterioratoion of roads, cyclepaths and footpaths and that there is an
> £8.5billion maintenance backlog. A main point is that LA funds are being diverted to other
> spending - health, education, jollies.

i think you will find there is even more concern about funding being diverted FROM education

pk

"Paul Kelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > A main point is that LA funds are being diverted to other spending - health, education, jollies.
>
> i think you will find there is even more concern about funding being diverted FROM education

And health is not an LA function.

So that leaves jollies!!

Paul Kelly wrote:

> "JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >

> > Peter Fox wrote:
> >
> > > I'm told that there was a report on the BBC this morning from some Royal institute that
> > > spending on cycling was being cut and targets abandoned. Anyone hear this and got the details?
> > > --
> > > PETER FOX Not the same since the exam marking business failed

> > There have been several references on local radio this morning to an ICE (Inst. of Civil
> > Engineers) report on the deterioratoion of roads, cyclepaths and footpaths and that there is an
> > £8.5billion maintenance backlog. A main point is that LA funds are being diverted to other
> > spending - health, education, jollies.
>
> i think you will find there is even more concern about funding being diverted FROM education

It seems to be a disease of the times - always blame someone/something else for shortfalls :-(

John B

Thanks.

Here is the way to the report. <http://www.ice.org> Folllow the Government, News & Events link

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded

Witham Cycling Campaign www.eminent.demon.co.uk/wcc.htm East Anglian Pub cycle rides
www.eminent.demon.co.uk/rides