Radio Shack almost giving away Lance Armstrong books

Myosmith

Apr 27, 2011
I was Christmas shopping at Radio Shack and when I checked out, they offered me a copy of the Special Collector's Edition of the Lance Armstrong book Comeback 2.0 Up Close and Personal if I would make any donation to the Lance Armstrong Foundation. At first I assumed that I would have to make a substantial donation but the electronic checkout listed donations from $1 to $25. I clicked on $1 and got my copy of the book. Not bad considering that it originally retailed for $32.99 US. I plan on donating it to our Relay for Life (American Cancer Society) which holds annual fun run, walk, and ride events. It should make a good door prize.

Originally Posted by danfoz .

Buy a book cheap, whose proceeds go to charity. and then give the book away for a charitable cause as well. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Nice job.

+ 1 on that. Good job! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

Thanks to those with positive comments /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Quote from Yojimbo: That's mighty big of you - a whole $1 to charity.

And then you come here to tell everyone what a cheapskate you are.

Just FYI, I am a member of our local Relay for Life committee raising funds for the American Cancer Society, donating many hours and contributing to several ACS events every year. I donate monthly to our local hospital's foundation. I'm signing up for three charity rides (Alzheimers, Diabetes, and MS) in 2012 for which I will have to raise funds. I also volunteer regularly at a regional community bicycle workshop and have donated bikes, tools, and supplies several times. During 2011 I made contributions to the Salvation Army, the ASPCA, For Love of Dog (a canine rescue organization), and the community food shelf and I give blood to United Blood Services on a regular basis.

Not bragging, just pointing out that you might want to be more careful with your assumptions.

I don't particularly support Lance Armstrong's foundation, because I believe the American Cancer Society does a better job of funding research (personal opinion, nothing against Armstrong). I didn't want the book myself and won't likely ever read a copy, but I thought it would make a nice door prize for our ACS Relay for Life event. The only reason I posted the information here was to make others aware of the Radio Shack program and the availability of the book. It is obvious the book is not selling at the list price (less than 30% of which actually went to charity) and they are using them as an enticement to make a donation to cut their losses.

Originally Posted by danfoz .

Buy a book cheap, whose proceeds go to charity. and then give the book away for a charitable cause as well. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Nice job.

+ another 1

Originally Posted by Myosmith .

Thanks to those with positive comments /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Just FYI, I am a member of our local Relay for Life committee raising funds for the American Cancer Society, donating many hours and contributing to several ACS events every year. I donate monthly to our local hospital's foundation. I'm signing up for three charity rides (Alzheimers, Diabetes, and MS) in 2012 for which I will have to raise funds. I also volunteer regularly at a regional community bicycle workshop and have donated bikes, tools, and supplies several times. During 2011 I made contributions to the Salvation Army, the ASPCA, For Love of Dog (a canine rescue organization), and the community food shelf and I give blood to United Blood Services on a regular basis.

Not bragging, just pointing out that you might want to be more careful with your assumptions.

I don't particularly support Lance Armstrong's foundation, because I believe the American Cancer Society does a better job of funding research (personal opinion, nothing against Armstrong). I didn't want the book myself and won't likely ever read a copy, but I thought it would make a nice door prize for our ACS Relay for Life event. The only reason I posted the information here was to make others aware of the Radio Shack program and the availability of the book. It is obvious the book is not selling at the list price (less than 30% of which actually went to charity) and they are using them as an enticement to make a donation to cut their losses.
Haven't checked this thread in awhile.

I understood your motivation, but all the same, since they were raising money for charity you could have given more that one measly dollar. I think in hindsight you might even agree with me.

It seems clear that he thinks ACS will make better use of his donations.

Originally Posted by Yojimbo_ .

Haven't checked this thread in awhile.

I understood your motivation, but all the same, since they were raising money for charity you could have given more that one measly dollar. I think in hindsight you might even agree with me.
In hindsight, I think you'll agree that your initial post was misguided and perhaps an apology might be appropriate.

Reactions: 64Paramount
Originally Posted by qdc15 .

Is this site moderated?

Yes, it is. If you've got a problem, go the mods, but keep in mind, you are the one that started off the ill will. It really takes something to criticize someone for a charitable contribution that wasn't good enough in your eyes. Given that, maybe it be better if you just walked away from the topic. Myosmith did something, and that's much more than a significant percentage of the population does.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Yes, it is. If you've got a problem, go the mods, but keep in mind, you are the one that started off the ill will. It really takes something to criticize someone for a charitable contribution that wasn't good enough in your eyes. Given that, maybe it be better if you just walked away from the topic. Myosmith did something, and that's much more than a significant percentage of the population does.

Are you talking to me? I flagged the post for offensive and insulting content when it was posted five days ago, and was wondering why it had not been removed yet.

Are you talking to me? I flagged the post for offensive and insulting content when it was posted five days ago, and was wondering why it had not been removed yet.

It is moderated, but I suspect a post would have to be reported more than once before action is taken. If you are refering to davereo's "anus" post, then you may not find many who think it an unjust assessment...but, you might find a few who would rather have it worded in a more politically correct fashion. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Is this site moderated?

It is moderated and if a post is reported, it is checked for content and then a decision is made whether or not to take action.

if you have an issue PM me.

A single word post, "Anus" was reported and the powers that be decided the post added value to the discussion, despite being a vulgar personal attack. Fair enough. I was just asking...

Originally Posted by 64Paramount .

It is moderated, but I suspect a post would have to be reported more than once before action is taken. If you are refering to davereo's "anus" post, then you may not find many who think it an unjust assessment...but, you might find a few who would rather have it worded in a more politically correct fashion. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif
+1 people take offence to anything these days.........gota lighten up a bit

Some people don't have dollars to give, so they give hope instead.

Kudos for the thread starter. He made us all think about being thoughtful.

Reactions: danfoz