Radio Shack joins forces with Livestrong

Mansmind said:
You may very well be right.. I don't know personally. I've already expressed my own opinion on whether LA doped or not so there is no need to re-visit that.

If this transitions into a civil discussion I'll immediately revoke my own forum membership.

Aside from giving false hope to cancer patients (wouldn't a simple comeback to professional cycling have been enough?), Armstrong returned to the sport after cycling received a very public and very tumultuous shaming. Instead of playing by the rules, he paid for the exclusive services of Ferrari, and aided by pharmacy began a trouncing of the competition in the most-watched cycling race. Sure, doping existed before, and the sort of doping Armstrong used existed before as well. But the sport was ready for sea change, and instead of going it clean he flaunted his combination of talent and high-tech doping to the point where his handlers were forced to explain his victories with lies about heart size, VO2 Max, dedication to training and weighing his cereal in the morning.

There's no question Armstrong had talent at a young age. But he was quickly gobbled up by opportunists, and it's silly to think that he hadn't been using PEDs prior to cancer (although under less formal supervision).

What rubs many of us the wrong way is that Armstrong has somehow internalized the notion that he deserves to dope, for whatever reason (no daddy? constant rationalization by his handlers? because he had cancer? because he's using his wealth to fund cancer research?). It makes him a very small person at the end of the day, and the pile of money he sits on now is due almost solely to the fact that he doesn't know how to perform his chosen profession without cheating.

Armstrong is not a well-grounded person who can be proud of his victories. He's unsettled and lonely, though he unlikely has any shame whatsoever. After all, he's been rationalizing stealing money from the competition and soliciting donations on false pretenses for over a decade. Much like Hamilton, he'll never admit to cheating.

Many of us have been touched in one way or another by cancer. Armstrong's "miracle" speech proves that he's willing to treat cycling fans like morons to further his cause. However noble that cause, it will never excuse the lies and the cheating.

jimmypop said:
If this transitions into a civil discussion I'll immediately revoke my own forum membership.

I hear you. :)

Aside from giving false hope to cancer patients (wouldn't a simple comeback to professional cycling have been enough?)

It may very well have been enough, but I can't see how the "hope" he's given people with cancer is false. In my opinion he's shown that it is at least "possible" to get through it and accomplish something in life. I'm sure his demonstration of that possibility has indeed helped many people get through cancer. I've never had cancer, and I don't know many people that have in reality..so it's hard for me to speculate what they think when they consider LA

Armstrong returned to the sport after cycling received a very public and very tumultuous shaming. Instead of playing by the rules, he paid for the exclusive services of Ferrari

Certainly doesn't help his image any, I agree

Aided by pharmacy began a trouncing of the competition in the most-watched cycling race. Sure, doping existed before, and the sort of doping Armstrong used existed before as well. But the sport was ready for sea change, and instead of going it clean he flaunted his combination of talent and high-tech doping to the point where his handlers were forced to explain his victories with lies about heart size, VO2 Max, dedication to training and weighing his cereal in the morning.

While that may be true, it would also be true of anyone else that trounced the competition. JU for instance, who could possibly have done what LA did had LA not been there. Would the same level of "hate" then be directed toward JU if that had been the case? While we'll never know for sure.. I'm of the opinion that it would not (since I don't see many "I hate JU" threads around here)

What rubs many of us the wrong way is that Armstrong has somehow internalized the notion that he deserves to dope, for whatever reason (no daddy? constant rationalization by his handlers? because he had cancer? because he's using his wealth to fund cancer research?). It makes him a very small person at the end of the day, and the pile of money he sits on now is due almost solely to the fact that he doesn't know how to perform his chosen profession without cheating.

I understand your point here, but I don't see how he's done that to any larger extent than other riders. From what I know (and I admittedly don't spend my days perusing interviews) most of them come across as if they deserved to dope. It may be shrouded in "everyone does/did" or "it's the only way because the race is too hard" or whatever.. but there always seems to be a justification in the rider's eyes. So again.. why is he singled out so specifically?

he's willing to treat cycling fans like morons to further his cause. However noble that cause, it will never excuse the lies and the cheating.

I think they've all pretty much treated us as morons, although I think most fans are no longer morons... we pretty much know what's going on if we pay attention at all. I agree, whatever you do charitably doesn't excuse cheating.. but it does change the perception when you look at everything as a whole (when compared to someone that cheated and did nothing charitable).

jimmypop is a parody or something. He has to be. He knows full well that Lance Armstrong is an incredible inspiration to millions of people around the world, who either have cancer or got into cycling because of his great succession of wins. He is one of the greatest sporting stories of all time. We all know that he probably did not dope from 2000 onwards, but even if he did, by your logic all of his opponents were doping as well, so it made no difference. He deserved every single one of those wins and the praise. He truly is one of the greats.

And to come back now at this age is again an amazing inspiration to people. You know that. And look at the higher profile the Tour has been given this year, with almost twice as many fans on the streets. On every level the man is good news.

Lastly on the sponsor. It's a better sponsor than most for the Tour de France these days - i don't see anything odd about it at all.

I know you see this as a bit of fun, and yes it is fun - it's only cycling - but you don't half take a lot of bollocks. You're one bitter and twisted individual. Most of what you say is simply assertion. Nobody with a brain is buying it.

TheDangerMan said:
jimmypop is a parody or something. He has to be. He knows full well that Lance Armstrong is an incredible inspiration to millions of people around the world, who either have cancer or got int.... <snip>

Is this the comedy hour?

Mansmind, thanks very much for the reply. I think we're on the same page in some respects, but maybe I'm just too cynical these days. :)

jimmypop said:
Is this the comedy hour?

Mansmind, thanks very much for the reply. I think we're on the same page in some respects, but maybe I'm just too cynical these days. :)

It's the truth, pal. I'm sick and tired of the deluded nonsense from you and the other Armstrong haters who just spout this nonsense endlessly. You're all becoming the same person to me so don't feel you are being singled out in particular.

You know full well he is one of the greatest cyclists of all time and has an amazing inspirational story. Yes the greats are always fun to poke at - it happens in every sport - but you've got to learn when enough is enough and it gets past a joke. A lot of people who read this forums have been watching the Tour and seeing this amazing comeback. They don't want this site to be a haven for trolls and spiteful nut jobs. Go to some hollywood celebrity site and **** them off instead.

To those nay sayers, please explain the "problem" with Radio Shack being a title sponsor? I'm not a RS fanatic but I have purchased from them at various times. By no means a great electronic retailer, but they do come handy when you need the odd part. They are as good a sponsor for a Pro Tour cycling team as any other corporation. It's not like every other team sponsors out there are at the top of their business or industry. If RS is willing to dish out millions and join forces with LA, more power to both parties involved.

Give it a rest Bro, Pou, et al.

TheDangerMan said:
It's the truth, pal. I'm sick and tired of the deluded nonsense from you and the other Armstrong haters who just spout this nonsense endlessly. You're all becoming the same person to me so don't feel you are being singled out in particular.

You know full well he is one of the greatest cyclists of all time and has an amazing inspirational story. Yes the greats are always fun to poke at - it happens in every sport - but you've got to learn when enough is enough and it gets past a joke. A lot of people who read this forums have been watching the Tour and seeing this amazing comeback. They don't want this site to be a haven for trolls and spiteful nut jobs. Go to some hollywood celebrity site and **** them off instead.

Agreed. Glad you finally found a way to categorize the behavior of the Armstrong sycophants.

Mansmind said:
My most recent favorite was an almost instaneous (apparently) research of Radio Shack.. in which it was discovered that a CEO of that corporation committed a crime. LOL.. I'm sure all the other sponsors are completely clean in this respect (no I haven't looked).

Why do you love paedophiles?

classic1 said:
Why do you love paedophiles?

Why is it that your mind can only come up with a implied ridiculous personal attack? Are you really that narrow? I never said anything about loving pedophiles, what I said was...well I don't need to say it again it was clear enough. Get real.

...and you should spend some time learning to spell.

Mansmind said:
Why is it that your mind can only come up with a implied ridiculous personal attack? Are you really that narrow? I never said anything about loving pedophiles, what I said was...well I don't need to say it again it was clear enough. Get real.

...and you should spend some time learning to spell.

Actually it is spelt correctly as it has two correct spellings, you ******** paedo lover.

classic1 said:
Actually it is spelt correctly as it has two correct spellings, you ******** paedo lover.

Well at least you didn't deny the first part of my response. In fact, you went further to prove it. That's all I'll say about it.. you're a waste of time.

TheDangerMan said:
jimmypop is a parody or something. He has to be. He knows full well that Lance Armstrong is an incredible inspiration to millions of people around the world, who either have cancer or got into cycling because of his great succession of wins. He is one of the greatest sporting stories of all time. We all know that he probably did not dope from 2000 onwards, but even if he did, by your logic all of his opponents were doping as well, so it made no difference. He deserved every single one of those wins and the praise. He truly is one of the greats.

And to come back now at this age is again an amazing inspiration to people. You know that. And look at the higher profile the Tour has been given this year, with almost twice as many fans on the streets. On every level the man is good news.

Lastly on the sponsor. It's a better sponsor than most for the Tour de France these days - i don't see anything odd about it at all.

I know you see this as a bit of fun, and yes it is fun - it's only cycling - but you don't half take a lot of bollocks. You're one bitter and twisted individual. Most of what you say is simply assertion. Nobody with a brain is buying it.

With you logic Madoff was great man...he gives hopes to many people including some foundation.

There is few differrence, you cannot be great if what you have done is the results of cheating.

(Nothing proves that Lance stopped to dope after 1999: Actovegin is commonly use with EPO and was found in US postal garbage and their pharmacy was the most damaging piece!)

Mansmind said:
I hear you. :)

It may very well have been enough, but I can't see how the "hope" he's given people with cancer is false. In my opinion he's shown that it is at least "possible" to get through it and accomplish something in life. I'm sure his demonstration of that possibility has indeed helped many people get through cancer. I've never had cancer, and I don't know many people that have in reality..so it's hard for me to speculate what they think when they consider Lance.

My husband is one year out from his cancer diagnosis. Yes, we know Lance is a doper. Yes, we poke fun at Lance most of the time. But yes, Lance is still alive. That's not false hope. The purists can choke on Livestrong commercials, but they actually made my husband think he ought to stop feeling so friggin sorry for himself, get off the friggin couch, and go out and take life on again. (Now, where can we get some EPO?? :p )

Cobblestones said:
Guesses are Leipheimer, Horner, Popo, Hincapie. We need to see how much money the team has to guesstimate who they could hire in the first place. Will Lance get paid by the team? Two important datapoints we're missing.

Why would Hincapie leave Columbia to go back to Lance?

nns1400 said:
My husband is one year out from his cancer diagnosis. Yes, we know Lance is a doper. Yes, we poke fun at Lance most of the time. But yes, Lance is still alive. That's not false hope. The purists can choke on Livestrong commercials, but they actually made my husband think he ought to stop feeling so friggin sorry for himself, get off the friggin couch, and go out and take life on again. (Now, where can we get some EPO?? :p )

Best wishes to your husband, I really can't imagine the mental adjustment that you have to make after learning something like that.

That's sort of my point, there seems to be a subset of 20 or so individuals that think everything LA is about is bad because of the doping suspicions. The fact that most (if not all) are/were doping as well doesn't seem to change that. Inspiration is inspiration, so for the people that have been inspired in a good way.. it's good for them.

I've been trying to find some myself. :D