Radio Speakers

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rorschandt, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    A friend of mine usually shuts off his radio when riding with me (thank god)but last week we rode
    together and his radio was particularly obnoxious. It sounded off station, like it just needed fine
    tuned. When we stopped to get something from my bike bag, he turned it off and said "Well, I guess
    that radio has had it." To which I asked what he meant. He said that he had gone thru several radios
    on the bike, that after a while the speakers are just blown out. Anyone else experience this and
    have a cure? He uses a portable radio in the side pocket of his rack trunk, which may have something
    to do with it. He has a fairing, seems like he could mount a radio on those TI Rush "ape-hanger"
    bars, pointing the speakers right in his face. He doesn't play them that loud, although I am sure
    that since I am riding next to the bloody thing, it is a lot louder for me than he. Although I hate
    his *%$#@&! radio, I like him, and would like to set him up with something that works better in the
    long haul. Any light weight suggestions? I am sure since he sprung for a TI bike, he isn't ready to
    hang 5 lbs of speakers and such on it!

    thanks, Rorschandt

    Tags:

  2. Have your friend buy "flat" speakers...maybe build a fairing out of Flat speakers and the you both
    can enjoy them fine ole POLKA tunes together.
    ***************************************

    "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > A friend of mine usually shuts off his radio when riding with me (thank god)but last week we
    > rode together and his radio was particularly obnoxious. It sounded off station, like it just
    > needed fine tuned. When we stopped to get something from my bike bag, he turned it off and
    > said
    "Well,
    > I guess that radio has had it." To which I asked what he meant. He said that he had gone thru
    > several radios on the bike, that after a while the speakers are just blown out. Anyone else
    > experience this and have a cure? He uses a portable radio in the side pocket of his rack trunk,
    > which may have something to do with it. He has a fairing, seems like he could mount
    > radio on those TI Rush "ape-hanger" bars, pointing the speakers right in his face. He doesn't play
    > them that loud, although I am sure that since I am riding next to the bloody thing, it is a lot
    > louder for me than he. Although I hate his *%$#@&! radio, I like him, and would like to set him up
    > with something that works better in the long haul. Any light weight suggestions? I am sure since
    > he sprung for a TI bike, he isn't ready to hang 5 lbs of speakers and such on it!
    >
    > thanks, Rorschandt

  3. Gary Herbst

    Gary Herbst Guest

    rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > A friend of mine usually shuts off his radio when riding with me (thank god)but last week we rode
    > together and his radio was particularly obnoxious. It sounded off station, like it just needed
    > fine tuned. When we stopped to get something from my bike bag, he turned it off and said "Well, I
    > guess that radio has had it." To which I asked what he meant. He said that he had gone thru
    > several radios on the bike, that after a while the speakers are just blown out. Anyone else
    > experience this and have a cure? He uses a portable radio in the side pocket of his rack trunk,
    > which may have something to do with it. He has a fairing, seems like he could mount a radio on
    > those TI Rush "ape-hanger" bars, pointing the speakers right in his face. He doesn't play them
    > that loud, although I am sure that since I am riding next to the bloody thing, it is a lot louder
    > for me than he. Although I hate his *%$#@&! radio, I like him, and would like to set him up with
    > something that works better in the long haul. Any light weight suggestions? I am sure since he
    > sprung for a TI bike, he isn't ready to hang 5 lbs of speakers and such on it!
    >
    > thanks, Rorschandt

    I've got a small pair of unpowered speakers that are about a 3 inch cube mounted on the horz. bar
    that holds the top part of my Haluzak fairing. I have mounted an IPod between them. I use it mostly
    when I am out riding alone. When I have had it on when I'm with other people most can't hear it
    unless they are behind me. With the IPod I have a very wide choice of music (over a 1000 tunes and
    some EBooks) Hope this helps. Gary

  4. "Gary Herbst" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've got a small pair of unpowered speakers that are about a 3 inch

    Do you really need a pair? If I was to add sound I'd go for a mono system.

    Just Curious. Torben

  5. "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Gary Herbst" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I've got a small pair of unpowered speakers that are about a 3 inch
    >
    > Do you really need a pair? If I was to add sound I'd go for a mono system.
    >
    > Just Curious. Torben

    I don't really need one but I got a mono handlebar radio (Radio Shack) on one trike then when I got
    an "update" trike; I went for 2 unpowered speakers on a roll bar above my head (mounted to a Sony
    Walkman I bought at a yard sale for a buck); and I luv 'em!!

    Neither my Optima or Catrike have radios yet. With all the tourists and locals out to impress the
    whole neighbirhood, I enjoy a whisper of my own familiar smooth jazz between the unavoidable La
    Cucuracha or Led Zeppelin.

    Less stress? Go stereo! I suppose I could tow around a trailer and blast the area with sound within
    a mile but surrounding traffic noise and light music flow easily for me.

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  6. In article <[email protected]>, rorschandt says...

    > A friend of mine usually shuts off his radio when riding with me (thank god)but last week we
    > rode together and his radio was particularly obnoxious. It sounded off station, like it just
    > needed fine tuned. When we stopped to get something from my bike bag, he turned it off and
    > said "Well, I guess that radio has had it." To which I asked what he meant. He said that he
    > had gone thru several radios on the bike, that after a while the speakers are just blown
    > out. Anyone else experience this and have a cure? He uses a portable radio in the side
    > pocket of his rack trunk, which may have something to do with it. He has a fairing, seems
    > like he could mount a radio on those TI Rush "ape-hanger" bars, pointing the speakers right
    > in his face. He doesn't play them that loud, although I am sure that since I am riding next
    > to the bloody thing, it is a lot louder for me than he. Although I hate his *%$#@&! radio, I
    > like him, and would like to set him up with something that works better in the long haul.
    > Any light weight suggestions? I am sure since he sprung for a TI bike, he isn't ready to
    > hang 5 lbs of speakers and such on it!

    The smallest, most rugged speaker I know of is a waterproof external speaker used on boats as an
    extension speaker for marine radios. It comes in both 2.5" and 4.5" versions, and I use one of the
    2.5" versions on my boat. Weighs next to nothing, and it quite loud, though I've never tried putting
    music through it.

    You can find it at www.westmarine.com; search for model numbers 1985548 or 1985829.

    Steve Christensen

  7. In article <[email protected]>, rorschandt says...

    > A friend of mine usually shuts off his radio when riding with me (thank god)but last week we
    > rode together and his radio was particularly obnoxious. It sounded off station, like it just
    > needed fine tuned. When we stopped to get something from my bike bag, he turned it off and
    > said "Well, I guess that radio has had it." To which I asked what he meant. He said that he
    > had gone thru several radios on the bike, that after a while the speakers are just blown
    > out. Anyone else experience this and have a cure? He uses a portable radio in the side
    > pocket of his rack trunk, which may have something to do with it. He has a fairing, seems
    > like he could mount a radio on those TI Rush "ape-hanger" bars, pointing the speakers right
    > in his face. He doesn't play them that loud, although I am sure that since I am riding next
    > to the bloody thing, it is a lot louder for me than he. Although I hate his *%$#@&! radio, I
    > like him, and would like to set him up with something that works better in the long haul.
    > Any light weight suggestions? I am sure since he sprung for a TI bike, he isn't ready to
    > hang 5 lbs of speakers and such on it!

    The smallest, most rugged speaker I know of is a waterproof external speaker used on boats as an
    extension speaker for marine radios. It comes in both 2.5" and 4.5" versions, and I use one of the
    2.5" versions on my boat. Weighs next to nothing, and it quite loud, though I've never tried putting
    music through it.

    You can find it at www.westmarine.com; search for model numbers 1985548 or 1985829.

    Steve Christensen

  8. Gary