RadioShack not invited to 2010 Giro d'Italia

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
The organizers of the Giro d'Italia RCS Sport will announce the teams invited to ride this year's race on Monday, but Lance Armstrong's RadioShack squad will not be amongst them. There also seems little chance that Riccardo Riccò will be welcomed back to this year's Giro, despite his ban for doping ending on March 18.

In recent weeks, RadioShack team manager Johan Bruyneel had publicly hoped the RadioShack team would be invited to the Giro. However with Armstrong and Levi Leipheimer targeting the Tour of California at the same time as the Giro, the US-registered team failed to convince the Giro organisers they deserved a place and did not push particularly hard to have a team in the race.

Link: RadioShack Not Invited To 2010 Giro D'Italia | Cyclingnews.com

No big surprise. Armstrong screwed the RCS last year. After taking millions of euros as a start fee, he refused to talk to the press and personally led the protest against racing the stage in Milan. Just yesterday he dissed the Italians by making a catty comment about the dark tunnel at MSR. Retirement Shack was not invited to Tirreno Adriatico either.

Kind of a "much ado about nothin'", IMO. Even if they had been invited, they would've sent their third string team anyway...

Expected decision.
If I remember well, it was suggested during the early winter. The reason then was overlapping with Tour of California where Shack would send strongest team, while in Italy would ride their second team with low ambitions. There is no race organizer which would welcome team like that and undervalue themselves.

Andrija said:
Expected decision.
If I remember well, it was suggested during the early winter. The reason then was overlapping with Tour of California where Shack would send strongest team, while in Italy would ride their second team with low ambitions. There is no race organizer which would welcome team like that and undervalue themselves.

You do remember well as I remember the same being said but sh!t to the race organizer if that is his only angle, also being his only loss. Tactics are all about the the you know who and the tour over there. It's a public display of alpha male cyclists, coach's and teams taking full authority in the real world of cycling and that authority revolves around only one bicycle race, the one they plan on winning.

again, that is.

roadhouse said:
You do remember well as I remember the same being said but sh!t to the race organizer if that is his only angle, also being his only loss. Tactics are all about the the you know who and the tour over there. It's a public display of alpha male cyclists, coach's and teams taking full authority in the real world of cycling and that authority revolves around only one bicycle race, the one they plan on winning.

Can someone translate this into English?

Bro Deal said:
Can someone translate this into English?

I can, bipolarism does have it's sustanance after all. :p
What else you care to know, young chap? That Bruykneel, Carmichael and Big Lance know to keep the training flock together and that now above all else of times would divide the team more than help themselves along with the much bigger picture out? What don't you get about Americans racing ( training) on American soil to do what has already been done seven fold on foreign? It's a bloody hostile business, this taking of other people's land but it is American History and if i know anything of American History it's that history is bound to repeat itself.

roadhouse said:
It's a bloody hostile business, this taking of other people's land but it is American History and if i know anything of American History it's that history is bound to repeat itself.

Eh, let's see, Radio Shack is going to race in the US, so that means that they are interested in taking other people's land. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

By the way, what nation was not formed by taking someone else's land?

Frikin moron!

On his Twitter, Lance said they sent a letter on Jan 23 to the Giro, saying they wouldn't be attending. Not sure that sounds accurate. I thought, all the pro teams had to do all the main pro events?

mikesaif said:
On his Twitter, Lance said they sent a letter on Jan 23 to the Giro, saying they wouldn't be attending. Not sure that sounds accurate. I thought, all the pro teams had to do all the main pro events?

doesn't matter to armstrong. for him, he needed to try and get the upper hand on zomegnan by saying he "wasn't going to come to that party anyway. so keep your invitation. so there. nyah!" i paraphrase, of course.

And don't forget that the team needs to be together now and train for taking over the world.

They are waaay too big and important to be dealing with some petty **** like the Giro. :D

mikesaif said:
I thought, all the pro teams had to do all the main pro events?

Not so. Not every ProTour teams must do the "main events", nor must every main event organizer invite/accept every ProTour team. I believe this was one of the concessions the Big 3 race organizers walked away with after the fight between them and the UCI a couple of years ago.

Eldron said:
Straight from Zomegnan's mouth to our ears - kinda takes the fun out of the specualtion :D

From: Zomegnan Explains Giro D'Italia Team Selections | Cyclingnews.com

Stephen Farrand: There's no Armstrong or his RadioShack team...

Zomegnan: "There's not much to say. They never asked us to take part."
Soooo, RS didn't want to do the Giro, and the organizers probably didn't want to get just the B squad anyway.

Sounds like neither party is upset at this turn of events, so why are WE gnashing teeth?