rafl wk 2 (the other) Ray

Ray Miller

Guest
Did a WI this morning and was disappointed to learn I stayed the same. did a few WI's and thought
this isn't right - wait. Had a cup of coffee. Walked around a bit. updated Fitday with last nights
excesses. Had what Ray once referred to as a "bottom woosh".

Did my weekly WI again and I'm down 2 to 205 :)

Nearly ruined it the past two days. On Friday we had some friends round. I made lasagne and drank
too many glasses of wine and ate a couple of pieces of chocolate orange. Not too bad but I needed to
count a few exercise points to even things up. Last night we went next door to fix their computer
(had two viruses) and discuss their upcoming holiday in Goa. We took the leftover lasagne with some
spaghetti squash and salad, then topped it off with some wine, and cheese and biscuits. I could have
done with a few more exercise points but unfortunately I didn't do any :( oops.

The Gym on Friday was great. I'm learning new stuff all the time and really get a kick out of it.
Also borrowed three Atkins books from next door, so I'm gonna read up on what Atkins really says. It
sounds like the usual commercial pseudo-science to me so far. But I know that low-carb can work so
I'm keeping an open mind. Maybe the first few chapters are the commercial intro and the real science
comes later.

Ray

--
rmnsuk overall - 273/205/182

Great loss, Ray, congrats.

Linda
252/189.4/145 RAFL Start: 190 Goal: 175

Excellent! Isn't it funny how moving around a bit to allow things to shift can make all the
difference on the scale?

What new things are you learning at the gym?

Prairie Roots

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 12:17:11 GMT, ray miller <[email protected]> wrote:

>Did a WI this morning and was disappointed to learn I stayed the same. did a few WI's and thought
>this isn't right - wait. Had a cup of coffee. Walked around a bit. updated Fitday with last nights
>excesses. Had what Ray once referred to as a "bottom woosh".
>
>Did my weekly WI again and I'm down 2 to 205 :)
>
>Nearly ruined it the past two days. On Friday we had some friends round. I made lasagne and drank
>too many glasses of wine and ate a couple of pieces of chocolate orange. Not too bad but I needed
>to count a few exercise points to even things up. Last night we went next door to fix their
>computer (had two viruses) and discuss their upcoming holiday in Goa. We took the leftover lasagne
>with some spaghetti squash and salad, then topped it off with some wine, and cheese and biscuits. I
>could have done with a few more exercise points but unfortunately I didn't do any :( oops.
>
>The Gym on Friday was great. I'm learning new stuff all the time and really get a kick out of it.
>Also borrowed three Atkins books from next door, so I'm gonna read up on what Atkins really says.
>It sounds like the usual commercial pseudo-science to me so far. But I know that low-carb can work
>so I'm keeping an open mind. Maybe the first few chapters are the commercial intro and the real
>science comes later.
>
>Ray

I like South Beach if someone really HAS to do the low carb thing, but that is just my opinion, and
you know how it is, everyone has one....

"ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Did a WI this morning and was disappointed to learn I stayed the same. did a few WI's and thought
> this isn't right - wait. Had a cup of coffee. Walked around a bit. updated Fitday with last nights
> excesses. Had what Ray once referred to as a "bottom woosh".
>
> Did my weekly WI again and I'm down 2 to 205 :)
>
> Nearly ruined it the past two days. On Friday we had some friends round. I made lasagne and drank
> too many glasses of wine and ate a couple of pieces of chocolate orange. Not too bad but I needed
> to count a few exercise points to even things up. Last night we went next door to fix their
> computer (had two viruses) and discuss their upcoming holiday in Goa. We took the leftover lasagne
> with some spaghetti squash and salad, then topped it off with some wine, and cheese and biscuits.
> I could have done with a few more exercise points but unfortunately I didn't do any :( oops.
>
> The Gym on Friday was great. I'm learning new stuff all the time and really get a kick out of it.
> Also borrowed three Atkins books from next door, so I'm gonna read up on what Atkins really says.
> It sounds like the usual commercial pseudo-science to me so far. But I know that low-carb can work
> so I'm keeping an open mind. Maybe the first few chapters are the commercial intro and the real
> science comes later.
>
> Ray
>

> --
> rmnsuk overall - 273/205/182

Great job.

"ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Did a WI this morning and was disappointed to learn I stayed the same. did a few WI's and thought
> this isn't right - wait. Had a cup of coffee. Walked around a bit. updated Fitday with last nights
> excesses. Had what Ray once referred to as a "bottom woosh".
>
> Did my weekly WI again and I'm down 2 to 205 :)
>
> Nearly ruined it the past two days. On Friday we had some friends round. I made lasagne and drank
> too many glasses of wine and ate a couple of pieces of chocolate orange. Not too bad but I needed
> to count a few exercise points to even things up. Last night we went next door to fix their
> computer (had two viruses) and discuss their upcoming holiday in Goa. We took the leftover lasagne
> with some spaghetti squash and salad, then topped it off with some wine, and cheese and biscuits.
> I could have done with a few more exercise points but unfortunately I didn't do any :( oops.
>
> The Gym on Friday was great. I'm learning new stuff all the time and really get a kick out of it.
> Also borrowed three Atkins books from next door, so I'm gonna read up on what Atkins really says.
> It sounds like the usual commercial pseudo-science to me so far. But I know that low-carb can work
> so I'm keeping an open mind. Maybe the first few chapters are the commercial intro and the real
> science comes later.
>
> Ray
>

> --
> rmnsuk overall - 273/205/182

good loss, Lee
ray miller <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Did a WI this morning and was disappointed to learn I stayed the same. did a few WI's and thought
> this isn't right - wait. Had a cup of coffee. Walked around a bit. updated Fitday with last nights
> excesses. Had what Ray once referred to as a "bottom woosh".
>
> Did my weekly WI again and I'm down 2 to 205 :)
>
> Nearly ruined it the past two days. On Friday we had some friends round. I made lasagne and drank
> too many glasses of wine and ate a couple of pieces of chocolate orange. Not too bad but I needed
> to count a few exercise points to even things up. Last night we went next door to fix their
> computer (had two viruses) and discuss their upcoming holiday in Goa. We took the leftover lasagne
> with some spaghetti squash and salad, then topped it off with some wine, and cheese and biscuits.
> I could have done with a few more exercise points but unfortunately I didn't do any :( oops.
>
> The Gym on Friday was great. I'm learning new stuff all the time and really get a kick out of it.
> Also borrowed three Atkins books from next door, so I'm gonna read up on what Atkins really says.
> It sounds like the usual commercial pseudo-science to me so far. But I know that low-carb can work
> so I'm keeping an open mind. Maybe the first few chapters are the commercial intro and the real
> science comes later.
>
> Ray
>

> --
> rmnsuk overall - 273/205/182

Congrats on that loss but I'm still not sure how you did it (G) "A bit of walking" must have been
miles in the Sahara Desert!

The following is only some of _MY_ CONJECTURE - take it for that!!!

Re: Atkins. I don't know if there is science altho, some in the medical profession are not convinced
it was as bad as they thought. But I think the real basis for it is that people are "addicted" to
carbs and that carbs trigger binges (I can drink WATER to that) and that is what leads to much weight-
gain. So that chocolate cookie leads to another and them maybe a piece of chocolate cake. A
sweetened breakfast cereal wears off quickly, leading to a drop in blood sugar which a mid-morning
donut "fixes" which wears off to lead to another donut. A fast food burger is accompanied by super-
sized fries and the sweet soda or malt. Etc, etc. Folks just overdo the carbs, maybe unconsciously.
So "sweaing" off them or really limiting them helps with that "addiction" and breaks it. It might
also be possible that blood lipids improve on Atkins (supposedly) because folks are getting more
natural fats and not the baked-good's transfats??? We all should probably be eating more nuts
(portion control, folks) and their healthy oils.

Fats are more filling as are proteins. I think the newer Atkins pushes less FATS and more protein
making it potentially healthier??? So that folks eat less overall calories leading to weight loss.
I recall in reading Atkins (4 years ago so I don't know version) that who could argue with eating
steaks and eggs and bacon and cream, etc. You know, frankly, I got real tired of it except the
cheese (G). He pushed that concept though - of filling oneself with steak and eggs which does or
did fit the American food attitude - BEEF! So that was definitely part consumer SALEMENSHIP to
sell the diet.

I know Doc's frowned on the entire ketosis idea since, I think, diabetics, suffer from that. I am
not sure that there is anything in the literature that says ketosis without "disease" is necessarily
bad but it clearly is considered unusual. They also say it stresses the kidneys but normal kidneys
probably have the ability to handle it. Calcium loss is also supposedly an affect????

Just my quick take-CONJECTURE on it (do not try this at home, children
(g))

Let us know what you learn.

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 12:17:11 GMT, ray miller <[email protected]> wrote:

>Did a WI this morning and was disappointed to learn I stayed the same. did a few WI's and thought
>this isn't right - wait. Had a cup of coffee. Walked around a bit. updated Fitday with last nights
>excesses. Had what Ray once referred to as a "bottom woosh".
>
>Did my weekly WI again and I'm down 2 to 205 :)
>
>Nearly ruined it the past two days. On Friday we had some friends round. I made lasagne and drank
>too many glasses of wine and ate a couple of pieces of chocolate orange. Not too bad but I needed
>to count a few exercise points to even things up. Last night we went next door to fix their
>computer (had two viruses) and discuss their upcoming holiday in Goa. We took the leftover lasagne
>with some spaghetti squash and salad, then topped it off with some wine, and cheese and biscuits. I
>could have done with a few more exercise points but unfortunately I didn't do any :( oops.
>
>The Gym on Friday was great. I'm learning new stuff all the time and really get a kick out of it.
>Also borrowed three Atkins books from next door, so I'm gonna read up on what Atkins really says.
>It sounds like the usual commercial pseudo-science to me so far. But I know that low-carb can work
>so I'm keeping an open mind. Maybe the first few chapters are the commercial intro and the real
>science comes later.
>
>Ray

Hi, Ray, Congratulations on the loss!
--
Take Care Catherine
154/135.8/136 Lifetime 6/99 Next personal goal 133.2

"ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Did a WI this morning and was disappointed to learn I stayed the same. did a few WI's and thought
> this isn't right - wait. Had a cup of coffee. Walked around a bit. updated Fitday with last nights
> excesses. Had what Ray once referred to as a "bottom woosh".
>
> Did my weekly WI again and I'm down 2 to 205 :)
>
> Nearly ruined it the past two days. On Friday we had some friends round. I made lasagne and drank
> too many glasses of wine and ate a couple of pieces of chocolate orange. Not too bad but I needed
> to count a few exercise points to even things up. Last night we went next door to fix their
> computer (had two viruses) and discuss their upcoming holiday in Goa. We took the leftover lasagne
> with some spaghetti squash and salad, then topped it off with some wine, and cheese and biscuits.
> I could have done with a few more exercise points but unfortunately I didn't do any :( oops.
>
> The Gym on Friday was great. I'm learning new stuff all the time and really get a kick out of it.
> Also borrowed three Atkins books from next door, so I'm gonna read up on what Atkins really says.
> It sounds like the usual commercial pseudo-science to me so far. But I know that low-carb can work
> so I'm keeping an open mind. Maybe the first few chapters are the commercial intro and the real
> science comes later.
>
> Ray
>

> --
> rmnsuk overall - 273/205/182

All right Ray!! Congrats on the loss!! I like the bottom whoosh euphemism.
--

Cheers,

Connie Walsh

241.5/208.5/155 RAFL 210.5/208.5/198.5

ray miller wrote:
> Did a WI this morning and was disappointed to learn I stayed the same. did a few WI's and thought
> this isn't right - wait. Had a cup of coffee. Walked around a bit. updated Fitday with last nights
> excesses. Had what Ray once referred to as a "bottom woosh".
>
> Did my weekly WI again and I'm down 2 to 205 :)
>
> Nearly ruined it the past two days. On Friday we had some friends round. I made lasagne and drank
> too many glasses of wine and ate a couple of pieces of chocolate orange. Not too bad but I needed
> to count a few exercise points to even things up. Last night we went next door to fix their
> computer (had two viruses) and discuss their upcoming holiday in Goa. We took the leftover lasagne
> with some spaghetti squash and salad, then topped it off with some wine, and cheese and biscuits.
> I could have done with a few more exercise points but unfortunately I didn't do any :( oops.
>
> The Gym on Friday was great. I'm learning new stuff all the time and really get a kick out of it.
> Also borrowed three Atkins books from next door, so I'm gonna read up on what Atkins really says.
> It sounds like the usual commercial pseudo-science to me so far. But I know that low-carb can work
> so I'm keeping an open mind. Maybe the first few chapters are the commercial intro and the real
> science comes later.
>
> Ray

Congratulations on that 2 pound loss, Ray. Keep up the good work. Elaine K

ray miller wrote:

>Did a WI this morning and was disappointed to learn I stayed the same. did a few WI's and thought
>this isn't right - wait. Had a cup of coffee. Walked around a bit. updated Fitday with last nights
>excesses. Had what Ray once referred to as a "bottom woosh".
>
>Did my weekly WI again and I'm down 2 to 205 :)
>
>Nearly ruined it the past two days. On Friday we had some friends round. I made lasagne and drank
>too many glasses of wine and ate a couple of pieces of chocolate orange. Not too bad but I needed
>to count a few exercise points to even things up. Last night we went next door to fix their
>computer (had two viruses) and discuss their upcoming holiday in Goa. We took the leftover lasagne
>with some spaghetti squash and salad, then topped it off with some wine, and cheese and biscuits. I
>could have done with a few more exercise points but unfortunately I didn't do any :( oops.
>
>The Gym on Friday was great. I'm learning new stuff all the time and really get a kick out of it.
>Also borrowed three Atkins books from next door, so I'm gonna read up on what Atkins really says.
>It sounds like the usual commercial pseudo-science to me so far. But I know that low-carb can work
>so I'm keeping an open mind. Maybe the first few chapters are the commercial intro and the real
>science comes later.
>
>Ray

------=_NextPart_000_0158_01C3DE0B.84656570 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-
Encoding: quoted-printable

Good job on the loss. Kristine "ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message =
news:[email protected]... Did a WI this morning and was disappointed to
[...]

--=20 rmnsuk overall - 273/205/182 ------=_NextPart_000_0158_01C3DE0B.84656570 Content-Type:
text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-
Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276"
name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Good job on the loss.</FONT></DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Kristine</FONT></DIV>
<>"ray miller" <<A=20
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>>= wrote in=20
message <A=20 href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:dftk005lgdh=
[email protected]</A>...</DIV>Did=20 a WI this morning and was disappointed to
learn I stayed the = same.<BR>did a few=20 WI's and thought this isn't right - wait.<BR>Had a
cup of coffee. Walked = around=20 a bit. updated Fitday with last<BR>nights excesses. Had
what Ray once = referred=20 to as a "bottom woosh".<BR><BR>Did my weekly WI again and I'm
down 2 to = 205=20
:)<BR><BR>Nearly ruined it the past two days. On Friday we had some=20
friends<BR>round. I made lasagne and drank too many glasses of wine and = ate=20 a<BR>couple of
pieces of chocolate orange. Not too bad but I = needed=20 to<BR>count a few exercise points to
even things up. Last night we went=20 next<BR>door to fix their computer (had two viruses) and
discuss=20 their<BR>upcoming holiday in Goa. We took the leftover lasagne with=20 some<BR>spaghetti
squash and salad, then topped it off with some wine,=20 and<BR>cheese and biscuits. I could have
done with a few more exercise=20 points<BR>but unfortunately I didn't do any :( oops.<BR><BR>The Gym
on = Friday=20 was great. I'm learning new stuff all the time and<BR>really get a kick = out of=20
it. Also borrowed three Atkins books from<BR>next door, so I'm gonna = read up on=20 what Atkins
really says. It sounds<BR>like the usual commercial = pseudo-science=20 to me so far. But I know that<BR>low-
carb can work so I'm keeping an = open mind.=20 Maybe the first few<BR>chapters are the commercial
intro and the real = science=20 comes later.<BR><BR>Ray<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>--
<BR>rmnsuk<BR>overall = -=20
273/205/182</BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0158_01C3DE0B.84656570--

WTG on those 2 pounds Ray! Congrats!

--

~Kristin O~
272/240.8/172

"ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Did a WI this morning and was disappointed to learn I stayed the same. did a few WI's and thought
> this isn't right - wait. Had a cup of coffee. Walked around a bit. updated Fitday with last nights
> excesses. Had what Ray once referred to as a "bottom woosh".
>
> Did my weekly WI again and I'm down 2 to 205 :)
>
> Nearly ruined it the past two days. On Friday we had some friends round. I made lasagne and drank
> too many glasses of wine and ate a couple of pieces of chocolate orange. Not too bad but I needed
> to count a few exercise points to even things up. Last night we went next door to fix their
> computer (had two viruses) and discuss their upcoming holiday in Goa. We took the leftover lasagne
> with some spaghetti squash and salad, then topped it off with some wine, and cheese and biscuits.
> I could have done with a few more exercise points but unfortunately I didn't do any :( oops.
>
> The Gym on Friday was great. I'm learning new stuff all the time and really get a kick out of it.
> Also borrowed three Atkins books from next door, so I'm gonna read up on what Atkins really says.
> It sounds like the usual commercial pseudo-science to me so far. But I know that low-carb can work
> so I'm keeping an open mind. Maybe the first few chapters are the commercial intro and the real
> science comes later.
>
> Ray
>

> --
> rmnsuk overall - 273/205/182

Congrats on the loss Ray.
--
Brenda
209/178/150 RafL goal 165

"ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Did a WI this morning and was disappointed to learn I stayed the same. did a few WI's and thought
> this isn't right - wait. Had a cup of coffee. Walked around a bit. updated Fitday with last nights
> excesses. Had what Ray once referred to as a "bottom woosh".
>
> Did my weekly WI again and I'm down 2 to 205 :)
>
> Nearly ruined it the past two days. On Friday we had some friends round. I made lasagne and drank
> too many glasses of wine and ate a couple of pieces of chocolate orange. Not too bad but I needed
> to count a few exercise points to even things up. Last night we went next door to fix their
> computer (had two viruses) and discuss their upcoming holiday in Goa. We took the leftover lasagne
> with some spaghetti squash and salad, then topped it off with some wine, and cheese and biscuits.
> I could have done with a few more exercise points but unfortunately I didn't do any :( oops.
>
> The Gym on Friday was great. I'm learning new stuff all the time and really get a kick out of it.
> Also borrowed three Atkins books from next door, so I'm gonna read up on what Atkins really says.
> It sounds like the usual commercial pseudo-science to me so far. But I know that low-carb can work
> so I'm keeping an open mind. Maybe the first few chapters are the commercial intro and the real
> science comes later.
>
> Ray
>

> --
> rmnsuk overall - 273/205/182

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 08:26:30 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Excellent! Isn't it funny how moving around a bit to allow things to shift can make all the
>difference on the scale?

yes, but maybe I went into too much detail:)

>What new things are you learning at the gym?

The main thing is that I went to find out how to do the exercises properly. Some can lead to injury
if you do them wrong. Apparently I was doing one of the row exercises wrong, not seriously but it
would be if I tried to lift more. Also learned why people do more than one exercise on the same
muscle group. I did some biceps curls with enough weight so I couldn't complete the 12 reps. Then
went on to do hammer surls (almost the same exercise, except the wrist is rotate through 90
degrees). I found that I could do 12 reps easily with the same weight! Apparently the two exercises
use the same muscles but differently. Amazing. I'd never know that from the 'net.

Ray
--
rmnsuk overall - 273/205/182