RAGT Semences-MG Rover in TDF... but no Kelme... wtf???

Boyd Speerschne

Guest
WTF? RAGT Semences-MG Rover ... I've never even heard of this team. Who's on it? Does anyone know?

And why would it be picked over Kelme? Kelme has contributed soooooo much to the TDF for *years*,
why would they not be chosen? I realize that they have been demoted to div II due to their financial
troubles, but why would the SDTDF hold that against them? This makes no sense to me at all.

- Boyd S.

On 02/28/2004 04:50 PM, in article [email protected],
"Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote:

> WTF? RAGT Semences-MG Rover ... I've never even heard of this team. Who's on it? Does anyone know?

They are the former Jean Delatour team.

> And why would it be picked over Kelme?

1. They're French.
2. They're Division 1, whereas Kelme is only Division 2.

> Kelme has contributed soooooo much to the TDF for *years*, why would they not be chosen?

Because they STILL haven't gotten everything settled with the UCI.

But Leblanc left the door open for a 22nd team to be added, so there's still some hope for the boys
in green/blue/white.

> I realize that they have been demoted to div II due to their financial troubles, but why would the
> SDTDF hold that against them?

Because the Tour is the world's most prestigious event, and they don't want another Coast debacle
looming ...

> This makes no sense to me at all.
>
> - Boyd S.

dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

I don't swear to this, but I also believe that I read on the UCI website sometime back that the
rating of a race is based in part on the percentage of teams that are division 1. If they let in
too many teams that are division 2 (and that rule does not care what the reason for the team's
status in division 2 is) then that will result in the Tour de France losing its official ranking as
an HC race.

Just something that might explain what I agree is an otherwise inexplicable decision.

Regards,

news:[email protected]...

Joseph Hurley wrote:
> I don't swear to this, but I also believe that I read on the UCI website sometime back that the
> rating of a race is based in part on the percentage of teams that are division 1. If they let in
> too many teams that are division 2 (and that rule does not care what the reason for the team's
> status in division 2 is) then that will result in the Tour de France losing its official ranking
> as an HC race.

It's good that you wouldn't swear to that. The major tours (TdF, Giro, and Vuelta) aren't
classified as 2.HC races. You can find the criteria that the major tours must use in accepting team
in the UCI rules.

"Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> RAGT Semences-MG Rover ... I've never even heard of this team. Who's on it? Does anyone know? And
> why would it be picked over Kelme? Kelme has contributed soooooo much to the TDF for *years*, why
> would they
not
> be chosen? I realize that they have been demoted to div II due to their financial troubles, but
> why would the SDTDF hold that against them? This makes no sense to me at all.
The Tour is holding a place open for Kelme. But Kelme will have to sort their financial problems
before they can contemplate taking part... Maybe a subscription could be started? Although with the
publicity they will get in the Tour and their showing in Valencia already they should find more
sponsors.. All the best Dan Gregory

---

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Joseph Hurley wrote:
> > I don't swear to this, but I also believe that I read on the UCI website sometime back that the
> > rating of a race is based in part on the percentage of teams that are division 1. If they let in
> > too many teams that are division 2 (and that rule does not care what the reason for the team's
> > status in division 2 is) then that will result in the Tour de France losing its official ranking
> > as an HC race.
>
> It's good that you wouldn't swear to that. The major tours (TdF, Giro, and Vuelta) aren't
> classified as 2.HC races. You can find the criteria that the major tours must use in accepting
> team in the UCI rules.

Yes - they have their own special category, GT. I don't think any of the three will be losing it any
time soon.

At least they aren't accepting FRENCH Div. II teams. That would be a travesty, even moreso than RAGT
Semences... I mean, look at their roster, and delete Rutkiewicz. Then imagine a French Div. II team.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/2004/teams2004/RAG.shtml

-Sonarrat.

[email protected] (Sonarrat) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
> berlin.de>...
>> Joseph Hurley wrote:
>> > I don't swear to this, but I also believe that I read on the UCI website sometime back that the
>> > rating of a race is based in part on the percentage of teams that are division 1. If they let
>> > in too many teams that are division 2 (and that rule does not care what the reason for the
>> > team's status in division 2 is) then that will result in the Tour de France losing its official
>> > ranking as an HC race.
>>
>> It's good that you wouldn't swear to that. The major tours (TdF, Giro, and Vuelta) aren't
>> classified as 2.HC races. You can find the criteria that the major tours must use in accepting
>> team in the UCI rules.
>
> Yes - they have their own special category, GT. I don't think any of the three will be losing it
> any time soon.
>
> At least they aren't accepting FRENCH Div. II teams. That would be a travesty, even moreso than
> RAGT Semences... I mean, look at their roster, and delete Rutkiewicz. Then imagine a French Div.
> II team.
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/2004/teams2004/RAG.shtml
>
> -Sonarrat.

Easy according to Cycling4all there are no D2 French teams So that makes it easy not to pick any.

D1 AG2R Prévoyance .Brioches La Boulangère .Credit Agricole .Cofidis .FDJeux.com .RAGT Semences-
MG Rover .

D3 Auber 93 .Credit Agricole - "Espoirs" .Oktos-MBK

in article l0R0c.643676$JQ1.240561@pd7tw1no, [email protected] at

> [email protected] (Sonarrat) wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
>> "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
>> berlin.de>...
>>>
>>> It's good that you wouldn't swear to that. The major tours (TdF, Giro, and Vuelta) aren't
>>> classified as 2.HC races. You can find the criteria that the major tours must use in accepting
>>> team in the UCI rules.
>>
>> Yes - they have their own special category, GT. I don't think any of the three will be losing it
>> any time soon.
>>
>> At least they aren't accepting FRENCH Div. II teams. That would be a travesty, even moreso than
>> RAGT Semences... I mean, look at their roster, and delete Rutkiewicz. Then imagine a French Div.
>> II team.
>>
>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/2004/teams2004/RAG.shtml
>>
>> -Sonarrat.
>
> Easy according to Cycling4all there are no D2 French teams So that makes it easy not to pick any.
>

> D1 AG2R Prévoyance .Brioches La Boulangère .Credit Agricole .Cofidis .FDJeux.com .RAGT Semences-
> MG Rover .
>
> D3 Auber 93 .Credit Agricole - "Espoirs" .Oktos-MBK

Oh.

Well, that brings a different perspective to things.

-Sonarrat.