raid pyreneen

Status
Not open for further replies.

wardie2000

Jun 9, 2003
Hi,
Just wondering has anyone done the raid pyreneen? If so, what was it like?

I have decided that i will do the raid this summer, i have noticed a couple of tour companies do the raid, at the moment i plan to use Graham Baxter Sporting Tours!
Are they any good or do people have any other recommendations?

Thanks

wardie2000 wrote:
> Hi, Just wondering has anyone done the raid pyreneen? If so, what

I attempted the Raid with Pyrenees Pursuits in August. I failed the challenge as it was too hot (52
degrees C). PP were good, one makes your own way to Carcasonne and Nick picks you up to take you to
their lodge. You have a few days to relax (!) and go for rides before he takes you to the start.
Nick is a real cycling enthusiast, his lodge is functional rather than luxurious, suits me.

There were six of us on the ride, I think this is the largest group he takes, no more than 8 anyway.
During the ride Nick drives the route, waits at tricky junctions, makes the picnic lunch and
supplies water. The hotels are OK, usually family run/privately owned ones, food exellent. The
schedule is tight partly due to the meals at the hotels, we could not really start earlier than 8 am
because of breakfast. I have been to Tour de France with Baxters, they go OK. I have heard with
their Raid that they finish at Cerbere then have to ride back up the hill to the coach, not time for
beers and swimming. We arrived at Cerbere at 12 noon had a great lunch, drank loads, paddled in the
med and drank again until 1 am !!

I would recommend PP, its not perfect but I don't know what I'd do differently. The small group is a
big plus for me.

Here is the repot from one of the others on the raid with me
http://www.mile43.com/cycling/rando2003_raid.html with my photos.

On 3 Nov 2003 06:12:24 +1050, wardie2000 <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi, Just wondering has anyone done the raid pyreneen? If so, what was it like?

I did the Raid in 2002, and intend to do it again in 2004. I went entirely self catering. Eurostar
to Paris, slow train to Bayonne, slow train back from Perpignan.

I had panniers fore and aft and a tent on the rear rack, plus a handle bar bag for snacks and
valuables.

Give yourself two weeks, arrive in Paris Friday night, Bayonne Saturday Afternoon, depart Perpignan
Saturday morning, arrive London Sunday Afternoon. That will give you 13 full days for the Raid. If
like me you take 9 days you can always cycle south and spend your spare days lounging about on the
Spanish Mediterranean Coast. That's another good reason to cycle west to east.

>I have decided that i will do the raid this summer, i have noticed a couple of tour companies do
>the raid, at the moment i plan to use Graham Baxter Sporting Tours! Are they any good or do people
>have any other recommendations?

Forget expensive tour companies - organise it yourself. French campsites are cheap, as is eating
out. Small hotels will welcome you and your cycle with open arms, and treat you as a testosterone
God (or oestrogen Goddess) depending on your gender.

Our costs per person were:

London - Paris return £59 (€90) Paris - Bayonne €53 Perpignan - Paris €56 Camping (including 3
nights in Spain) €40 Hotels (4 nights plus 1 in Paris) €93 Evening meals €147 Breakfasts, lunches
and snacks €78

So a budget of about 600 euros or £400 per person should suffice. Allow slightly more if
travelling solo.

PS You'll eat like you've never eaten before.

Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I did the Raid in 2002, and intend to do it again in 2004. I went entirely self catering. Eurostar
> to Paris, slow train to Bayonne, slow train back from Perpignan.
>
> I had panniers fore and aft and a tent on the rear rack, plus a handle bar bag for snacks and
> valuables.

Did you have any trouble with your bike on Eurostar? A friend of mine was told he could not travel
with an assembled bike; it had to be put on a separate train. By the sound of it you did not have
your bike packed into a carrying bag.

--
Dave...

On 3 Nov 2003 04:49:11 -0800, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

>Did you have any trouble with your bike on Eurostar? A friend of mine was told he could not travel
>with an assembled bike; it had to be put on a separate train. By the sound of it you did not have
>your bike packed into a carrying bag.

Pedals and wheels off, handlebars turned, slam bam in a bag, along with most of the panniers. The
bag was left in Paris hotel to be picked up on our return. Bits of rear rack and handlebar protruded
from the bag but it wasn't too bad. My companion sent her bike on in advance - probably the better
option, but she wasn't able to collect her bike until 7.30am (I think) on Saturday morning.

"Gonzalez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 3 Nov 2003 06:12:24 +1050, wardie2000 <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Hi, Just wondering has anyone done the raid pyreneen? If so, what was it like?
>
> I did the Raid in 2002, and intend to do it again in 2004. I went entirely self catering. Eurostar
> to Paris, slow train to Bayonne, slow train back from Perpignan.
>
> I had panniers fore and aft and a tent on the rear rack, plus a handle bar bag for snacks and
> valuables.

I too am planning another go at the 10 day Raid next year. West to East this time and I'm giving
myself some extra time so that if I don't make the 10 days limit I can complete the route. Solo
camping again but two weeks earlier so better weather for cycling I hope. If anyone is thinking of
using the Municipal Campsite at St. Beat it had the worst facilities of my trip this year and was
infested with huge slugs. The warden didn't charge me though as I arrived late and was leaving early
and his dog tried to take a lump out of my heel.

Ken.

Kenneth Clements wrote:

> I too am planning another go at the 10 day Raid next year. West to

Is the 10 day ride on the same route as the 100 hour ride ? is it certified by the same club ?

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Kenneth Clements wrote:
>
> > I too am planning another go at the 10 day Raid next year. West to
>
> Is the 10 day ride on the same route as the 100 hour ride ? is it
certified
> by the same club ?

Yes the Cyclo Club Béarnais. Pretty much the same route from Hendaye to Cerbere or vice versa with a
few differences. Takes in all the famous passes 28 in all. The 100 hour Raid includes 18 passes.

Ken.

Kenneth Clements wrote:
> "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Kenneth Clements wrote:
>>
>>> I too am planning another go at the 10 day Raid next year. West to
>>
>> Is the 10 day ride on the same route as the 100 hour ride ? is it certified by the same club ?
>
> Yes the Cyclo Club Béarnais. Pretty much the same route from Hendaye to Cerbere or vice versa with
> a few differences. Takes in all the famous passes 28 in all. The 100 hour Raid includes 18 passes.
>
> Ken.

Can you supply details of this route ? Are there any websites detailing it ? I have details of the
100 hour route of course.I rather like the sound of a more relaxed Raid am I am hatching ideas for
2005. So far I am considering North Cape or Shetlands/Orkneys

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 21:58:07 -0000, "Kenneth Clements" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I too am planning another go at the 10 day Raid next year. West to East this time and I'm giving
>myself some extra time so that if I don't make the 10 days limit I can complete the route. Solo
>camping again but two weeks earlier so better weather for cycling I hope. If anyone is thinking of
>using the Municipal Campsite at St. Beat it had the worst facilities of my trip this year and was
>infested with huge slugs.

Fantastic slugs, aren't they! I had one in my shoe in the morning and I think I still have the
trails across my tent.

>The warden didn't charge me though as I arrived late and was leaving early and his dog tried to
>take a lump out of my heel.

I didn't think the site was that bad. But every hour I was woken by water gushing from some outlet
into the river. The local bar does a reasonable breakfast.

> I didn't think the site was that bad. But every hour I was woken by water gushing from some outlet
> into the river. The local bar does a reasonable breakfast.

It served a purpose but was just the worst I used. No hot water and showers locked. Admiration for
your 9 day ride.

Ken

> Can you supply details of this route ? Are there any websites detailing it
?
> I have details of the 100 hour route of course.I rather like the sound of
a
> more relaxed Raid am I am hatching ideas for 2005. So far I am considering North Cape or
> Shetlands/Orkneys
>
I haven't found route details on the Web. I really, really recommend the lonely planet Cycling
France book, ISBN 1-86450-036-0. This was given to me as a present and inspired me to start touring
in France. It's incredibly detailed and details many tours. It has the Raid Tourist version detailed
from east to west. Tour descriptions have maps, profiles, info on accommodation and campsites,
places of interest, descriptions of the ride for each day including road numbers distances between
junctions, which way to turn etc. Buy it, borrow it from your library or drop a hint for Christmas.
I could scan the route info from the Club and email it to you if you want but you would get much
more from this book.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.