Rail bookings online

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Geller, Oct 6, 2003.

  1. Simon Geller

    Simon Geller Guest

    The Trainline have removed the cycle reservation service from their bookings pages. This was the
    only cycle reservation service available on-line, and this puts you in the ridiculous situation
    where you can book train tickets but than have to go separately to a booking office, or perhaps the
    phone line, to book the bike, and then perhaps you cannot do this so your tickets are no use. If you
    feel strongly about this you can contact them via their website:

    http://www.thetrainline.com/button_bar_pages/Contact_Us.asp#

    Simon

    Tags:

  2. Mark

    Mark Guest

    > The Trainline have removed the cycle reservation service from their
    bookings
    > pages.

    I have a similar situation with my train company - SW Trains. I rang them to book my bike onto a
    train recently and was told that I couldn't unless I was booking tickets at the same time. As I
    wasn't, I had to go to my local station and book the bike there instead.

    Mark

  3. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    Mark wrote:

    > > The Trainline have removed the cycle reservation service from their
    > bookings
    > > pages.
    >
    > I have a similar situation with my train company - SW Trains. I rang them to book my bike onto a
    > train recently and was told that I couldn't unless I was booking tickets at the same time. As I
    > wasn't, I had to go to my local station and book the bike there instead.

    Although I think SWT are the dregs, I do have some agreement with them on this one.

    I too am in the SWT area, where only two bikes are allowed on many of the trains and they _must_ be
    booked in advance.

    I always book by person at local stations having had very bad experiences with booking bikes via
    Trainline. Some stations I use insist on me buying the train tickets at the same time while others
    don't - it is very inconsistent. Some have also tried to insist on a 24 hour minimum advance booking
    even though this is not within their regulations.

    However I do think that you _should_ have to buy passenger tickets at the same time as (or before)
    you book the cycle reservations.

    A person who has not made any outlay may subsequently decide not to travel with no cost or
    penalty to themselves, yet their cycle reservation may be blocking the trip to someone else. That
    is very unfair.

    John B

  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    > However I do think that you _should_ have to buy passenger tickets at the
    same
    > time as (or before) you book the cycle reservations.

    My situation was that there wasn't sufficient time for them to send me the tickets through the post
    if I booked over the phone.

    Mark

  5. Bryan

    Bryan New Member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2003
    Had exactly the same problem with Virgin the other day. Booked online on their site, but didn't reserve my bike as I wasn;t sure at the time if I needed to. Rang them the other day to be told, I'd I'd have to go to my local station and reserve it. Fortunately I'm going past Euston tomorrow, otehrwsie it wouldhave been a trip across London just to book the bike.

    Bryan

  6. The only thing i feel sorry about mate, is for idiots like you that like to try and cram in your
    bikes onto busy commuter trains making everyone crush up a bit more so you and your 2wheels take up
    the whole train.

    If you must ride a bike, why not ride it to work and not running the wheels all over my feet, let
    alone your chain grease all over my trousers!

    TRM AnTi bikeR coMmuter!!

    "Simon Geller" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The Trainline have removed the cycle reservation service from their
    bookings
    > pages. This was the only cycle reservation service available on-line, and this puts you in the
    > ridiculous situation where you can book train tickets but than have to go separately to a booking
    > office, or perhaps the phone line, to book the bike, and then perhaps you cannot do this so your
    tickets
    > are no use. If you feel strongly about this you can contact them via their website:
    >
    > http://www.thetrainline.com/button_bar_pages/Contact_Us.asp#
    >
    > Simon

  7. Altgrr

    Altgrr Guest

    "The Running man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The only thing i feel sorry about mate, is for idiots like you that like
    > try and cram in your bikes onto busy commuter trains making everyone crush up a bit more so you
    > and your 2wheels take up the whole train.
    >
    > If you must ride a bike, why not ride it to work and not running the
    wheels
    > all over my feet, let alone your chain grease all over my trousers!

    Before you put fingers to keyboard, have a little think first.

    All "busy commuter trains" I know of (i.e. those running in peak hours) do not carry cycles unless
    they are the Brompton-style foldaway bikes, so your point is a non-issue.

    If a train outside these hours does not have sufficient space to carry a cycle, then it is the TOC
    that has broken the system by not allowing space for it, not the cyclist by carrying their bike.

    I have been on trains with more voluminous luggage than a bicycle. I put it in the guard's van. It
    was fine, and did not get in the way of any other passengers.

    Further, I believe the general rule for carriage of cycles is that they may only be conveyed where
    possible, and the service is not guaranteed, unless a reservation is made of course... (Someone
    please correct me on this if I'm wrong).

    Now, I don't know whether you were attempting to troll here or what, but if you're going to start an
    argument, at least make it one with a defensible position. :)

  8. "altgrr" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "The Running man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > The only thing i feel sorry about mate, is for idiots like you that like
    > > try and cram in your bikes onto busy commuter trains making everyone
    crush
    > > up a bit more so you and your 2wheels take up the whole train.
    > >
    > > If you must ride a bike, why not ride it to work and not running the
    > wheels
    > > all over my feet, let alone your chain grease all over my trousers!
    >
    > Before you put fingers to keyboard, have a little think first.
    >
    > All "busy commuter trains" I know of (i.e. those running in peak hours) do not carry cycles unless
    > they are the Brompton-style foldaway bikes, so
    your
    > point is a non-issue.

    This is the TOC policy,. it does not mean that cyclists adhere to it!

    > If a train outside these hours does not have sufficient space to carry a cycle, then it is the TOC
    > that has broken the system by not allowing space for it, not the cyclist by carrying their bike.

    TOC dont and never had cyclists (carrying bikes ) their passengers charter.

    > I have been on trains with more voluminous luggage than a bicycle. I put
    it
    > in the guard's van. It was fine, and did not get in the way of any other passengers.

    Maybe where you come from you have guards vans ( or brake vans as otherwise known ), i come from
    siding door country.

    > Further, I believe the general rule for carriage of cycles is that they
    may
    > only be conveyed where possible, and the service is not guaranteed, unless
    > reservation is made of course... (Someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong).
    >
    > Now, I don't know whether you were attempting to troll here or what, but
    if
    > you're going to start an argument, at least make it one with a defensible position. :)

    Have done! Now off to work :eek:(

    TRM

  9. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "The Running man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The only thing i feel sorry about mate, is for idiots like you that like
    > try and cram in your bikes onto busy commuter trains making everyone crush up a bit more so you
    > and your 2wheels take up the whole train.
    >
    > If you must ride a bike, why not ride it to work and not running the
    wheels
    > all over my feet, let alone your chain grease all over my trousers!

    As a cyclist I sympathise with rail passengers who do find themselves having to squeeze past
    dirty bikes.

    Of course this would not be necessary if we had an operational railway system in this country rather
    than the wind up Hornby O system that we are now left with. Other countries manage to accommodate
    cyclists in a much more civilized manner. (Civilised for the cyclist who is not expected to stand
    with his bike in a door way for hours while the train is late -- civilised for the other passengers
    who do not have to squeeze past said bike). For example most regional German trains introduced in
    the last 10 years have specific compartments to store bikes during travel.

    Indian & Moroccan Railways (to name but two) run efficient rail systems which have baggage vans that
    allow you to put your bike (or other bulky luggage) out of the way of your fellow passengers.

    Whenever I have tried to take my bike any distance on British trains (and I try to avoid British
    trains whenever possible) it is a bureaucratic nightmare requiring a ticketing and logistical
    project management capability of high order -- normally requiring complex negotiations with several
    different organisations.

    Even where you can, in principle, turn up & go (subject to standing in the doorway clutching
    your bike to defend it from twats who think it funny to give it a kick as they pass) you are
    so constrained as to which train you can get on -- nothing that arrives in London between x &
    y, nothing that arrives in Birmingham between r & s, nothing that is full, nothing where
    Jobsworth says no.

    All in all the sensible citizen is well advised to avoid the railways all together.

    Perhaps the entire system should be ripped up, tarmaced over and used as dedicated cycle paths --
    travel might then be faster and more pleasant.

  10. Jose Marques

    Jose Marques Guest

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Tony W wrote:

    > Whenever I have tried to take my bike any distance on British trains (and I try to avoid British
    > trains whenever possible) it is a bureaucratic nightmare requiring a ticketing and logistical
    > project management capability of high order -- normally requiring complex negotiations with
    > several different organisations.

    Get a folding bike. No need to book or purchase special tickets. Also no limits on what time you
    can travel.

    --
    Jose Marques

  11. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Jose Marques wrote:
    > On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Tony W wrote:
    >
    >> Whenever I have tried to take my bike any distance on British trains (and I try to avoid British
    >> trains whenever possible) it is a bureaucratic nightmare requiring a ticketing and logistical
    >> project management capability of high order -- normally requiring complex negotiations with
    >> several different organisations.
    >
    > Get a folding bike. No need to book or purchase special tickets. Also no limits on what time you
    > can travel.

    Also none of the problems of getting the bike on the train and finding somewhere to put it. Its
    revolutionised my train travel.

    Tony

    --
    "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

  12. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Jose Marques" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Get a folding bike. No need to book or purchase special tickets. Also no limits on what time you
    > can travel.

    If I commuted I would. However, when I want to take my bike on a train it is normally to get to the
    beginning of or from the end of a tour or for a day out off road. Touring & off roading on a Brommie
    is not my idea of fun.

    There again, nor is standing on a smelly train.

  13. Jose Marques

    Jose Marques Guest

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Tony W wrote:

    > Touring & off roading on a Brommie is not my idea of fun.

    Bromptons aren't the only folding bikes. Amazing how far some people manage to take their
    bromptons though:

    http://www.yarranet.net.au/aceweb/eliteracies/

    --
    Jose Marques

  14. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tony W wrote:
    > "Jose Marques" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> Get a folding bike. No need to book or purchase special tickets. Also no limits on what time you
    >> can travel.
    >

    > If I commuted I would. However, when I want to take my bike on a train it is normally to get to
    > the beginning of or from the end of a tour or for a day out off road. Touring & off roading on a
    > Brommie is not my idea of fun.

    Bike Friday, Airnimal or Birdy then ;-)

    Tony

    --
    "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

  15. Miket

    Miket Guest

    "Simon Geller" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > The Trainline have removed the cycle reservation service from their bookings pages. This was the
    > only cycle reservation service available on-line, and this puts you in the ridiculous situation
    > where you can book train tickets but than have to go separately to a booking office, or perhaps
    > the phone line, to book the bike, and then perhaps you cannot do this so your tickets are no use.
    > If you feel strongly about this you can contact them via their website:
    >
    > http://www.thetrainline.com/button_bar_pages/Contact_Us.asp#

    I've just had email back from thetrainline.com in which they seem slighly confused by this
    situation:

    __ begin quote __

    Hello,

    I would like to advise that we are waiting for the site delevelopement team to get back to us as to
    why they have removed the bike reservations from the site.

    Once they have given us a response then we will be able to advise you.

    Kind Regards

    __ end quote __

    So if it is an official policy, no-one has told the customer service lot yet.

  16. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:55:17 +0100, "Simon Geller" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The Trainline have removed the cycle reservation service from their bookings pages. This was the
    >only cycle reservation service available on-line, and this puts you in the ridiculous situation
    >where you can book train tickets

    Simon

    buy tickets for the SW region. Perhaps other train operators have booking facilities on their sites.
    I use thetrainline myself.

    James

    --
    "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

  17. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    MikeT wrote:
    > I've just had email back from thetrainline.com in which they seem slighly confused by this
    > situation:

    The following from Virgin:

    "Thank you for your e-mail.

    I am sorry for the inconvenience caused as a result of the reservation for bicycles being removed.
    This decision has been made following a review of the services provided by the site. It has been
    highlighted that this service has not been utalised on a more frequent basis and as such all bicycle
    reservations will now need to be made over the phone.

    I do apologise for any inconvenience this will cause.

    Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Your comments will be passed to the site manager for
    their information.

    Yours sincerely,

    N Yarnall

    Customer Relations."

  18. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 19:31:13 +0100, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am sorry for the inconvenience caused as a result of the reservation for bicycles being removed.
    >This decision has been made following a review of the services provided by the site. It has been
    >highlighted that this service has not been utalised on a more frequent basis and as such all
    >bicycle reservations will now need to be made over the phone.

    Sounds a pretty poor excuse to me.

    James

    --
    "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

  19. Miket

    Miket Guest

    > MikeT wrote:
    > > I've just had email back from thetrainline.com in which they seem slighly confused by this
    > > situation:
    > >

    > The following from Virgin:
    >
    > I am sorry for the inconvenience caused as a result of the reservation for bicycles being removed.
    > This decision has been made following a review of the services provided by the site. It has been
    > highlighted that this service has not been utalised on a more frequent basis and as such all
    > bicycle reservations will now need to be made over the phone.

    but, but, but...

    How can it be any cheaper to _remove_ functionality you've already coded on the site? This is
    ridiculous. If what they mean is that it costs too much money if someone does make a reservation,
    then I wish they'd say so.

    I book tickets with a bike reservation regularly. When, or if, Virgin get back to me, I'm not
    going to take this for an answer. Grump. Grump. Grump :)

  20. On 14 Oct 2003 01:29:06 -0700, [email protected] (MikeT) wrote:

    > How can it be any cheaper to _remove_ functionality you've already coded on the site? This is
    > ridiculous. If what they mean is that it costs too much money if someone does make a reservation,
    > then I wish they'd say so.

    It may have to do with the inconsistencies on the cost (or not) of cycle reservations across various
    TOCs, I wonder...

    What this needs, of course, is a consistent policy...I would suggest cycle reservations should be
    free (with the normal limit of one through reservation per outward/return/single ticket) as the
    administrative cost of collecting a nominal sum (and refunding it if provision is not made) is
    probably more than would be made by doing so.

    Neil

    --
    Neil Williams [email protected] is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null. Try
    my first name at the above domain instead if you want to e-mail me.