Rail bookings online

Simon Geller

Guest
The Trainline have removed the cycle reservation service from their bookings pages. This was the
only cycle reservation service available on-line, and this puts you in the ridiculous situation
where you can book train tickets but than have to go separately to a booking office, or perhaps the
phone line, to book the bike, and then perhaps you cannot do this so your tickets are no use. If you
feel strongly about this you can contact them via their website:

http://www.thetrainline.com/button_bar_pages/Contact_Us.asp#

Simon

> The Trainline have removed the cycle reservation service from their
bookings
> pages.

I have a similar situation with my train company - SW Trains. I rang them to book my bike onto a
train recently and was told that I couldn't unless I was booking tickets at the same time. As I
wasn't, I had to go to my local station and book the bike there instead.

Mark

Mark wrote:

> > The Trainline have removed the cycle reservation service from their
> bookings
> > pages.
>
> I have a similar situation with my train company - SW Trains. I rang them to book my bike onto a
> train recently and was told that I couldn't unless I was booking tickets at the same time. As I
> wasn't, I had to go to my local station and book the bike there instead.

Although I think SWT are the dregs, I do have some agreement with them on this one.

I too am in the SWT area, where only two bikes are allowed on many of the trains and they _must_ be
booked in advance.

I always book by person at local stations having had very bad experiences with booking bikes via
Trainline. Some stations I use insist on me buying the train tickets at the same time while others
don't - it is very inconsistent. Some have also tried to insist on a 24 hour minimum advance booking
even though this is not within their regulations.

However I do think that you _should_ have to buy passenger tickets at the same time as (or before)
you book the cycle reservations.

A person who has not made any outlay may subsequently decide not to travel with no cost or
penalty to themselves, yet their cycle reservation may be blocking the trip to someone else. That
is very unfair.

John B

> However I do think that you _should_ have to buy passenger tickets at the
same
> time as (or before) you book the cycle reservations.

My situation was that there wasn't sufficient time for them to send me the tickets through the post
if I booked over the phone.

Mark

Originally posted by Simon Geller
The Trainline have removed the cycle reservation service from their bookings pages. This was the
only cycle reservation service available on-line, and this puts you in the ridiculous situation
where you can book train tickets but than have to go separately to a booking office, or perhaps the
phone line, to book the bike, and then perhaps you cannot do this so your tickets are no use. If you
feel strongly about this you can contact them via their website:

http://www.thetrainline.com/button_bar_pages/Contact_Us.asp#

Simon

Had exactly the same problem with Virgin the other day. Booked online on their site, but didn't reserve my bike as I wasn;t sure at the time if I needed to. Rang them the other day to be told, I'd I'd have to go to my local station and reserve it. Fortunately I'm going past Euston tomorrow, otehrwsie it wouldhave been a trip across London just to book the bike.

Bryan

The only thing i feel sorry about mate, is for idiots like you that like to try and cram in your
bikes onto busy commuter trains making everyone crush up a bit more so you and your 2wheels take up
the whole train.

If you must ride a bike, why not ride it to work and not running the wheels all over my feet, let
alone your chain grease all over my trousers!

TRM AnTi bikeR coMmuter!!

"Simon Geller" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The Trainline have removed the cycle reservation service from their
bookings
> pages. This was the only cycle reservation service available on-line, and this puts you in the
> ridiculous situation where you can book train tickets but than have to go separately to a booking
> office, or perhaps the phone line, to book the bike, and then perhaps you cannot do this so your
tickets
> are no use. If you feel strongly about this you can contact them via their website:
>
> http://www.thetrainline.com/button_bar_pages/Contact_Us.asp#
>
> Simon

"The Running man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The only thing i feel sorry about mate, is for idiots like you that like
> try and cram in your bikes onto busy commuter trains making everyone crush up a bit more so you
> and your 2wheels take up the whole train.
>
> If you must ride a bike, why not ride it to work and not running the
wheels
> all over my feet, let alone your chain grease all over my trousers!

Before you put fingers to keyboard, have a little think first.

All "busy commuter trains" I know of (i.e. those running in peak hours) do not carry cycles unless
they are the Brompton-style foldaway bikes, so your point is a non-issue.

If a train outside these hours does not have sufficient space to carry a cycle, then it is the TOC
that has broken the system by not allowing space for it, not the cyclist by carrying their bike.

I have been on trains with more voluminous luggage than a bicycle. I put it in the guard's van. It
was fine, and did not get in the way of any other passengers.

Further, I believe the general rule for carriage of cycles is that they may only be conveyed where
possible, and the service is not guaranteed, unless a reservation is made of course... (Someone
please correct me on this if I'm wrong).

Now, I don't know whether you were attempting to troll here or what, but if you're going to start an
argument, at least make it one with a defensible position. :)

"altgrr" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "The Running man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > The only thing i feel sorry about mate, is for idiots like you that like
> > try and cram in your bikes onto busy commuter trains making everyone
crush
> > up a bit more so you and your 2wheels take up the whole train.
> >
> > If you must ride a bike, why not ride it to work and not running the
> wheels
> > all over my feet, let alone your chain grease all over my trousers!
>
> Before you put fingers to keyboard, have a little think first.
>
> All "busy commuter trains" I know of (i.e. those running in peak hours) do not carry cycles unless
> they are the Brompton-style foldaway bikes, so
your
> point is a non-issue.

This is the TOC policy,. it does not mean that cyclists adhere to it!

> If a train outside these hours does not have sufficient space to carry a cycle, then it is the TOC
> that has broken the system by not allowing space for it, not the cyclist by carrying their bike.

TOC dont and never had cyclists (carrying bikes ) their passengers charter.

> I have been on trains with more voluminous luggage than a bicycle. I put
it
> in the guard's van. It was fine, and did not get in the way of any other passengers.

Maybe where you come from you have guards vans ( or brake vans as otherwise known ), i come from
siding door country.

> Further, I believe the general rule for carriage of cycles is that they
may
> only be conveyed where possible, and the service is not guaranteed, unless
> reservation is made of course... (Someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong).
>
> Now, I don't know whether you were attempting to troll here or what, but
if
> you're going to start an argument, at least make it one with a defensible position. :)

Have done! Now off to work :eek:(

TRM

"The Running man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The only thing i feel sorry about mate, is for idiots like you that like
> try and cram in your bikes onto busy commuter trains making everyone crush up a bit more so you
> and your 2wheels take up the whole train.
>
> If you must ride a bike, why not ride it to work and not running the
wheels
> all over my feet, let alone your chain grease all over my trousers!

As a cyclist I sympathise with rail passengers who do find themselves having to squeeze past
dirty bikes.

Of course this would not be necessary if we had an operational railway system in this country rather
than the wind up Hornby O system that we are now left with. Other countries manage to accommodate
cyclists in a much more civilized manner. (Civilised for the cyclist who is not expected to stand
with his bike in a door way for hours while the train is late -- civilised for the other passengers
who do not have to squeeze past said bike). For example most regional German trains introduced in
the last 10 years have specific compartments to store bikes during travel.

Indian & Moroccan Railways (to name but two) run efficient rail systems which have baggage vans that
allow you to put your bike (or other bulky luggage) out of the way of your fellow passengers.

Whenever I have tried to take my bike any distance on British trains (and I try to avoid British
trains whenever possible) it is a bureaucratic nightmare requiring a ticketing and logistical
project management capability of high order -- normally requiring complex negotiations with several
different organisations.

Even where you can, in principle, turn up & go (subject to standing in the doorway clutching
your bike to defend it from twats who think it funny to give it a kick as they pass) you are
so constrained as to which train you can get on -- nothing that arrives in London between x &
y, nothing that arrives in Birmingham between r & s, nothing that is full, nothing where
Jobsworth says no.

All in all the sensible citizen is well advised to avoid the railways all together.

Perhaps the entire system should be ripped up, tarmaced over and used as dedicated cycle paths --
travel might then be faster and more pleasant.

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Tony W wrote:

> Whenever I have tried to take my bike any distance on British trains (and I try to avoid British
> trains whenever possible) it is a bureaucratic nightmare requiring a ticketing and logistical
> project management capability of high order -- normally requiring complex negotiations with
> several different organisations.

Get a folding bike. No need to book or purchase special tickets. Also no limits on what time you
can travel.

--
Jose Marques

Jose Marques wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Tony W wrote:
>
>> Whenever I have tried to take my bike any distance on British trains (and I try to avoid British
>> trains whenever possible) it is a bureaucratic nightmare requiring a ticketing and logistical
>> project management capability of high order -- normally requiring complex negotiations with
>> several different organisations.
>
> Get a folding bike. No need to book or purchase special tickets. Also no limits on what time you
> can travel.

Also none of the problems of getting the bike on the train and finding somewhere to put it. Its
revolutionised my train travel.

Tony

--
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

"Jose Marques" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Get a folding bike. No need to book or purchase special tickets. Also no limits on what time you
> can travel.

If I commuted I would. However, when I want to take my bike on a train it is normally to get to the
beginning of or from the end of a tour or for a day out off road. Touring & off roading on a Brommie
is not my idea of fun.

There again, nor is standing on a smelly train.

Tony W wrote:
> "Jose Marques" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Get a folding bike. No need to book or purchase special tickets. Also no limits on what time you
>> can travel.
>

> If I commuted I would. However, when I want to take my bike on a train it is normally to get to
> the beginning of or from the end of a tour or for a day out off road. Touring & off roading on a
> Brommie is not my idea of fun.

Bike Friday, Airnimal or Birdy then ;-)

Tony

--
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

"Simon Geller" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> The Trainline have removed the cycle reservation service from their bookings pages. This was the
> only cycle reservation service available on-line, and this puts you in the ridiculous situation
> where you can book train tickets but than have to go separately to a booking office, or perhaps
> the phone line, to book the bike, and then perhaps you cannot do this so your tickets are no use.
> If you feel strongly about this you can contact them via their website:
>
> http://www.thetrainline.com/button_bar_pages/Contact_Us.asp#

I've just had email back from thetrainline.com in which they seem slighly confused by this
situation:

__ begin quote __

Hello,

I would like to advise that we are waiting for the site delevelopement team to get back to us as to
why they have removed the bike reservations from the site.

Once they have given us a response then we will be able to advise you.

Kind Regards

__ end quote __

So if it is an official policy, no-one has told the customer service lot yet.

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:55:17 +0100, "Simon Geller" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The Trainline have removed the cycle reservation service from their bookings pages. This was the
>only cycle reservation service available on-line, and this puts you in the ridiculous situation
>where you can book train tickets

Simon

buy tickets for the SW region. Perhaps other train operators have booking facilities on their sites.
I use thetrainline myself.

James

--
"Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

MikeT wrote:
> I've just had email back from thetrainline.com in which they seem slighly confused by this
> situation:

The following from Virgin:

"Thank you for your e-mail.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused as a result of the reservation for bicycles being removed.
This decision has been made following a review of the services provided by the site. It has been
highlighted that this service has not been utalised on a more frequent basis and as such all bicycle
reservations will now need to be made over the phone.

I do apologise for any inconvenience this will cause.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Your comments will be passed to the site manager for
their information.

Yours sincerely,

N Yarnall

Customer Relations."

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 19:31:13 +0100, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I am sorry for the inconvenience caused as a result of the reservation for bicycles being removed.
>This decision has been made following a review of the services provided by the site. It has been
>highlighted that this service has not been utalised on a more frequent basis and as such all
>bicycle reservations will now need to be made over the phone.

Sounds a pretty poor excuse to me.

James

--
"Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

news:<[email protected]>...
> MikeT wrote:
> > I've just had email back from thetrainline.com in which they seem slighly confused by this
> > situation:
> >

> The following from Virgin:
>
> I am sorry for the inconvenience caused as a result of the reservation for bicycles being removed.
> This decision has been made following a review of the services provided by the site. It has been
> highlighted that this service has not been utalised on a more frequent basis and as such all
> bicycle reservations will now need to be made over the phone.

but, but, but...

How can it be any cheaper to _remove_ functionality you've already coded on the site? This is
ridiculous. If what they mean is that it costs too much money if someone does make a reservation,
then I wish they'd say so.

I book tickets with a bike reservation regularly. When, or if, Virgin get back to me, I'm not
going to take this for an answer. Grump. Grump. Grump :)

On 14 Oct 2003 01:29:06 -0700, [email protected] (MikeT) wrote:

> How can it be any cheaper to _remove_ functionality you've already coded on the site? This is
> ridiculous. If what they mean is that it costs too much money if someone does make a reservation,
> then I wish they'd say so.

It may have to do with the inconsistencies on the cost (or not) of cycle reservations across various
TOCs, I wonder...

What this needs, of course, is a consistent policy...I would suggest cycle reservations should be
free (with the normal limit of one through reservation per outward/return/single ticket) as the
administrative cost of collecting a nominal sum (and refunding it if provision is not made) is
probably more than would be made by doing so.

Neil

--
Neil Williams [email protected] is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null. Try
my first name at the above domain instead if you want to e-mail me.