Rails are awesome!

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by ulph, Aug 21, 2004.

  1. ulph

    ulph Guest

    Hello,

    First of all I'd like to show my gratitude to Andrew Carter for
    providing those excellent building instructions at unycycle.2ya.com! I
    built a few sandwich boards, a gapping bar and what's more important a
    practice rail a few weeks ago. Last week I began practicing the rail,
    and I've been working on it a few hours a day since. Today I went on a
    muni ride, and the aid from my improvement balance was remarkable! I
    have some nice deforestation areas with pretty rough terrain, lots of
    mud, branches, drops and deep tracks from lumbering machines to ride in.
    It's kind of hard to direct the wheel there, you pretty much have to
    follow it where decides to go, slipping back and forth on branches and
    in the mud. Anyway, it was A LOT easier to stay on the wheel today! I
    managed to get through some truly dreadful sections that I hadn't got
    through with less than two UPDs or so before! It's deer hunting season
    here now and some fellow was watching me from his hide, it must have
    looked kind of cool, and I felt really proud. Well, he was probably
    mostly worried that I would frighten his prey, but I hope he was at
    least a tiny bit astonished .. Or maybe he just thought I was
    practicing for the circus, how would I know.

    So my advice for any muni rider is to find/build a rail, practice it
    avidly, and then get out there again and feel the difference! :)

    Oh.. by the way, I have already broken two sandwich boards, the wood
    just splits, one split in the middle and then I rebuilt them with 5 cm
    thick planks and then it split at the screws where the hinges are
    instead. Maybe I need to reinforce them somehow. I was not even
    dropping onto it, just hopping on it... The gapping bar was nice, maybe
    I should build a few more of those. :)

    --
    ulph - Trials Unicyclist Aspirant
    ulph's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7284

  2. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    A guy I know was riding a handrail that should have been really easy
    (about five inches wide), but he fell and broke his ankle. Later I
    watched the video they got of it and I figured out why: He was riding
    about as fast as he possibly could. Even after I always tell people to
    ride slow on skinnies....

    --
    James_Potter - Nil Desperandum

  3. billham

    billham Guest

    ulph wrote:
    > *
    > Oh.. by the way, I have already broken two sandwich boards, the wood
    > just splits, one split in the middle and then I rebuilt them with 5 cm
    > thick planks and then it split at the screws where the hinges are
    > instead. Maybe I need to reinforce them somehow. I was not even
    > dropping onto it, just hopping on it... The gapping bar was nice,
    > maybe I should build a few more of those. :) *

    Sounds like you are using plain wood. Try using plywood instead of
    regualr wood. Plywood has the layers built up with the grain of each
    layer perpendicular to the layer next to it. It makes the plywood much
    stronger and less prone to splitting. A word of caution, if plywood is
    left outside in the rain, it will start to fall apart pretty quickly.

    Bill

    --
    billham

    billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

  4. That's great to hear, they are a lot of fun! I'd just like to point out
    that www.unicycle.2ya.com is actually a joint project between Peter van
    B and I.

    I've had the same problem with my most recent sandwich boards. I got a
    gift voucher for a hardware and bought myself some sheets of wood. The
    problem was that they only came cut with the grain running down their
    length so I built the boards like that and now I've snapped two. What
    I'm about to do is glue them back together (you may be surprised how
    strong glue is) and glue and screw some little bits of wood across the
    grain on the inside so they're not visable. That should hold it.

    But after building about 7 sandwich boards I've decided that the best
    option is to find old bits of plywood that they're throwing out (or even
    particle board holds up pretty well - I haven't snapped that one) at
    construction sites and use that. But as Bill mentioned, you should keep
    them out of the rain.

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - Quit jivin' me, turkey!

    carter.andrew (at) gmail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com

  5. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:29:03 -0500, "billham" wrote:

    >A word of caution, if plywood is
    >left outside in the rain, it will start to fall apart pretty quickly.

    Plywood comes in two varieties: regular and moisture-resistant. Use
    the type that can withstand moisture if you plan on storing your props
    outside. It is a bit more expensive because a different (water
    resistant) glue is used.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe