Rails to Trails – Do they get plowed in your area?

basso97

Sep 21, 2004
I live in North West Indiana. We have 3 Rails to Trails that go through 10 different towns. Of theses 10 only 4 clear the paths of show.

So I am asking Does your bike trails get plowed.

basso97 said:
I live in North West Indiana. We have 3 Rails to Trails that go through 10 different towns. Of theses 10 only 4 clear the paths of show.

I live in Atlanta, and we can't even plow our streets. If there was enough snow I am sure that it would be on our rail trails until nature cleared it all by herself

basso97 said:

I'm from Connecticut and in my area the trails are not cleared. If we want a trail or bike lane cleared we have to do it ourselves.

Plowed, that's funny!

The closest rail trails to me are the Snoqualmie Valley Trail, which follows the Snoqualmie River, and the Ironhorse Trail, which climbs over Snoqualmie Pass. The Valley trail rarely gets snow, but it does get totally innundated with leaves in the fall. They don't rake it either.

The Ironhorse Trail is not plowed, and in fact carries a rather high avalanche hazard following winter storms. It also includes a two-mile tunnel near the summit, which is gated and locked during winter due to the risk of falling ice.

basso97 said:

I live in Indianapolis and the only rail to trail project that has been completed is the Monon trail. And no it does not get plowed.

The state seems to have run out of money or interest to build any more. There was supposed to be one that went from the west side through Brownsburg, Avon and all the way to Illinois. It never got built.

You are very fortunate to have so many bike/jogging paths. The good thing for me is I live fairly close to Eagle Creek Park, which is a nice large park but it just gets too crowded on the weekends when the weather is nice. Many of the joggers are such asswipes they jog right out in the middle of the road instead of staying near the side. Sometimes I just want to plow right through them. Maybe this Spring I'll get an airhorn or something and scare the **** out of them. That'll be fun.

Doctor Morbius said:
You are very fortunate to have so many bike/jogging paths. The good thing for me is I live fairly close to Eagle Creek Park, which is a nice large park but it just gets too crowded on the weekends when the weather is nice. Many of the joggers are such asswipes they jog right out in the middle of the road instead of staying near the side. Sometimes I just want to plow right through them. Maybe this Spring I'll get an airhorn or something and scare the **** out of them. That'll be fun.

You can not ride a bike on the bike paths during the summer. The worst offenders of hogging the paths are what I call a gaggle of girls. They usually travel in groups of 4 to 6 and when you say on your left they separate like geese do when they fall out of formation.

This reminds me of a funny pathway story from my area. Quite a few years ago, in Sun Valley and Ketchum, Idaho, some new paved pathways were put in. The city government figured that when winter arrived, the local residents would use them for cross-country skiing. They were quite surprised when, after the first snowfall, the phones at the city offices started ringing with citizens asking when the paths would be cleared of snow. (Note that there are lots of cross-country ski trails in the area as well.) Now they clear the paved paths in the winter. My home town clears our paths as well.

We do have some longer rail-trails in Idaho, but those are not plowed in winter due to lack of funds.

basso97 said:
You can not ride a bike on the bike paths during the summer. The worst offenders of hogging the paths are what I call a gaggle of girls. They usually travel in groups of 4 to 6 and when you say on your left they separate like geese do when they fall out of formation.
Sounds familiar. I'm more concerned about having an accident from the unpredictability of kids, either on bikes or off, than I am about cars. Cars usually follow some sort of a predictable pattern. Kids never do.

Another thing that bugs me when riding in a park or on a bike path is "the family pack" on bikes where you have Dad (the leader, of course) and Mom and a couple little juniors all riding around at 4 miles an hour. As you approach them they actually get in front of you while trying to get out of your way. Not too helpful. The "family pack" is definitely a hazard.

basso97 said:
Unfortuneately those kind of trail users are everywhere. It's nice to see other people using the trail but don't you have to wonder some times how they have lived this long, walking out in front of moving objects??? I know it seems rude, but some times you're better off not to anounce youself, just pass quickly and let them scatter behind you!

The Rivergreenway in Fort Wayne, Indiana does not get plowed in winter. After 5 or more inches of snow has fallen, I use my cross country skis on Rivergreenway and various parks and side streets.