Rain and Foul Weather Gear for Commuters

krzys

May 23, 2006
Hi,

I've become a daily commuter a few months ago, ride my Bridgestone MB 4 MTN bike about 80 m/week. I live in Buffalo, NY. I know I'll need some decent foul weather-waterproof gear during Fall and Winter. Any suggestions for brands and equipment? Thank you.

Chris

krzys said:
Hi,

I've become a daily commuter a few months ago, ride my Bridgestone MB 4 MTN bike about 80 m/week. I live in Buffalo, NY. I know I'll need some decent foul weather-waterproof gear during Fall and Winter. Any suggestions for brands and equipment? Thank you.

Chris
Hi Chris

In OZ, the Jaggad Monsoon jacket is simply the best, It is completely waterproof, has a cycling cut with lowered back. The significant feature is its lightness, a lot of other jackets with this weight are only "just" shower proof and this is waterproof
I find all other waterproof jackets too bulky.

http://www.jaggad.com/au/product_info.php?cPath=1_27&products_id=55

mons_gry.jpg

They are available all over the world.

Seal Skinz socks will keep the feet dry and warm

krzys said:
Hi,

Chris

Very smart, buying off season. I got all my winter gear from REI about 2 years ago. Water proof jacket (REI brand), pants (REI brand), shoe covers (Pearl Izumi). I also have separate gloves for winter (Pearl Izumi). The jacket was the most expensive as it is also a very good wind braker yet it lets you breathe so you do not sweat like you are in an oven should the weather get little worm or you get sweaty due to work out. I think it was well worth it. Unless your bike has them already do not forget the fenders. I got those easy clip-on types for my road bike. But before that I used to commute with my MTB and I have fenders for it also (plastic ones, that clip on and off very easily). You should also consider more ligths (some on your clothing) to ensure drivers can see you.

krzys said:
Hi,

Chris
Burley makes superb bike raingear:

http://www.burley.com/products/raingear/default.html

Their Rock Point jacket is wonderfully designed and manufactured. It's got a nice waterproof pocket for your cell phone and great venting (very important) to keep the inside from becoming a sauna. Their new Ultimate Commuter pants are the best I have seen for biking. They have two straps that tighten the pants around your ankles and just below the knees. This eliminates any "caught in chain" problems. Their booties are great to protect your shoes and keep your feet dry, and, are easy to cut out the bottoms for your cleats.

If you planning on riding in any downpours you should consider one of these:

http://www.louisgarneau.com/usa/iframe.asp?Content=Accessories

Click on "Winter - Hat, Helmet & Shoe covers", and, on the next page, "Rain Cover"

They are soooo geeky looking, but will keep the rain from running down the back of your neck in a deluge. Whatever you choose, you need a waterproof helmet cover.

As already pointed out, fenders are a must. I have used the SKS Raceblade clamp-on fenders, but they are no where near as good as full fenders. It's also important to install mud flaps on the fenders. The mudflap on the front fender is what keeps your feet from getting doused. A back mudflap becomes useful when you ride in a group (and will make you popular!), as it drastically cuts down the rooster trail behind you. I like SKS full fenders. SKS now makes what they call "Commuter" fenders that have small mud flaps built in. These are nice.

Pearl Izumi makes some nice waterproof glove shells that I have in a couple of different sizes. Depending on the temperature, I will wear them with just fingerless cycling gloves underneath, or with insulated liners. Keeping your hands and feet warm and dry can keep a ride from becoming miserable (but, I'll bet you already know that). Sorry, but I can't help you with all of that snow you guys get.

Showers Pass...well worth the money and is the best wet cycling gear that I have ever found, right down to the pit zips and reflective material.

kleng said:
Hi Chris

In OZ, the Jaggad Monsoon jacket is simply the best, It is completely waterproof, has a cycling cut with lowered back. The significant feature is its lightness, a lot of other jackets with this weight are only "just" shower proof and this is waterproof
I find all other waterproof jackets too bulky.

http://www.jaggad.com/au/product_info.php?cPath=1_27&products_id=55

mons_gry.jpg

They are available all over the world.

Seal Skinz socks will keep the feet dry and warm

I can't find the Jaggad Monsoon jacket here in the states. All of the sites found are in Australia and don't seem to ship outside.