Rain cover for Cool Back seat on Gold Rush

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Alan Eckert, Apr 28, 2003.

  1. Alan Eckert

    Alan Eckert Guest

    I love the Cool Back seat on my Gold Rush, but when it gets wet, it takes (no kidding) a week or
    more to dry. Does anyone make a rain cover for it, preferably breathable Gore-Tex for comfort?
    Thanks for any assistance.

    Alan

    Tags:

  2. Alan Eckert wrote:

    > I love the Cool Back seat on my Gold Rush, but when it gets wet, it takes (no kidding) a week or
    > more to dry. Does anyone make a rain cover for it, preferably breathable Gore-Tex for comfort?
    > Thanks for any assistance.
    >
    > Alan

    If I park outside in the rain, I use a cheap, disposable shower cap. Fits over the seat perfectly.
    Couple bucks for a dozen, weighs almost nothing. I keep one in the repair kit on both my Tour Easy
    and BikeE. Good for upright bike seats too. You can also use it as a helmet rain cover. When I'm
    riding, my butt keeps the seat covered and dry.

    Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

    "We recognize, however dimly, that greater efficiency, ease, and security may come at a substantial
    price in freedom, that law and order can be a doublethink version of oppression, that individual
    liberties surrendered for whatever good reason are freedom lost." Walter Cronkite, in the preface to
    the 1984 edition of 1984

  3. I used to use a garbage bag with a bungee cord whenever I parked it in the rain or put it on the
    rooftop. (I didn't like dead bugs in the mesh).

  4. Richard

    Richard Guest

    I just put Easy Racer's Carbon Fiber fenders on my GR. That should keep the wet off the seat.

    Now if it sits out in the rain... It's not possible a GR owner would do that.

    Richard

    "Alan Eckert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I love the Cool Back seat on my Gold Rush, but when it gets wet, it takes (no kidding) a week or
    > more to dry. Does anyone make a rain cover for it, preferably breathable Gore-Tex for comfort?
    > Thanks for any assistance.
    >
    > Alan

  5. Bentabit

    Bentabit Guest

    [email protected] (Alan Eckert) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I love the Cool Back seat on my Gold Rush, but when it gets wet, it

    Alan,

    Best thing I found on multiday rides is a plastic trash bag. Keeps the condensation off and the seat
    dry. Takes hardly any space, either. And of course it has yet another use when done.

    Bill

  6. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Alan Eckert) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I love the Cool Back seat on my Gold Rush, but when it gets wet, it takes (no kidding) a week or
    > more to dry. Does anyone make a rain cover for it, preferably breathable Gore-Tex for comfort?
    > Thanks for any assistance.
    >
    > Alan

    I've been testing a custom-fitted waterproof cover that's supposed to fit a Koolback or RANS seat.
    Since I have a Cobra seat, it doesn't fit superbly, but it does keep the rain from soaking into the
    foam. It's not breathable, but I find that keeps my butt warmer on rainy rides anyway. I need to
    re-find the seamstress who sewed it up- it was loaned to me by Terracycle. I'll post her address
    when I know more.

    Jeff

  7. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've been testing a custom-fitted waterproof cover that's supposed to fit a Koolback or RANS seat.
    > Since I have a Cobra seat, it doesn't fit superbly, but it does keep the rain from soaking into
    > the foam. It's not breathable, but I find that keeps my butt warmer on rainy rides anyway. I need
    > to re-find the seamstress who sewed it up- it was loaned to me by Terracycle. I'll post her
    > address when I know more.
    >
    > Jeff

    At long last here it is:

    de Cloutier Custom Sewing Brenda L. Cloutier blcloutier at yahoo com (address munged on purpose)

    She's in the Portland, Oregon area, as far as I can tell. She also makes recumbent body socks and
    repairs outdoor gear (according to her business card). Email me privately and I can give you her
    phone number.

    Jeff

  8. Alan Eckert

    Alan Eckert Guest

    "Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just put Easy Racer's Carbon Fiber fenders on my GR. That should keep the wet off the seat.
    >
    > Now if it sits out in the rain... It's not possible a GR owner would do that.

    Actually, on Bike Virginia a few years back, I did exactly that. It was either that or leave my
    Gore-Tex jacket covering the seat at the rest stop and get soaked. Guess which I chose.

    To Jeff, who suggested a seamstress who sews a custom seat cover: thanks, I'll stow away her e-mail
    address, but only after trying the easy and cheap solution Lorenzo offered. He suggested disposable
    shower caps, and of course that makes sense. If I'm off the bike, I can slip the shower cap on the
    seat. If I'm on it, my butt and raingear will keep the seat reasonably dry. Or so it seems to me.
    I'll try it and see.

    Thanks to everyone for your helpful responses.

    Alan