Rain etiquette for group rides...

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Absent Husband, Jan 26, 2005.

  1. Hi all,

    Given the rain in BrisVegas at the moment, thought I'd ask what the go
    is for organised group rides.....??

    I mean, do most groups still ride in the rain?? Only if its drizzling??
    Definitely not if its teeming down??

    Am I a prissy little pony if I don't turn up at the SLART tomorrow if
    there are light showers - or will I be the only one there if I do????

    Cheers,
    Absent Husband - who finds no better excuse to sleep in than wet
    roads...

    Tags:

  2. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    Nah, you're not a sissy boy at all.

    I never, EVER ride when it's raining for the following reasons:

    1. It's dangerous.
    2. It's not great for your bike (and maintenance isn't my best friend).
    3. It means I can't hear anything.

    Lotte

  3. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Absent Husband wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Given the rain in BrisVegas at the moment, thought I'd ask what the go
    > is for organised group rides.....??
    >
    > I mean, do most groups still ride in the rain?? Only if its drizzling??
    > Definitely not if its teeming down??
    >
    > Am I a prissy little pony if I don't turn up at the SLART tomorrow if
    > there are light showers - or will I be the only one there if I do????
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Absent Husband - who finds no better excuse to sleep in than wet
    > roads...

    This girl is a fair-weather rider. I don't like to get my bike dirty
    :)

    Actually, it's not so much the rain I worry about but the wet roads.
    I'll probably go for a run instead if it's raining. If you want, text me
    in the morning to see if I'll be there. I've got army training all
    weekend and I head off to WA for a conference next Wednesday too, so I
    won't be around next week.

    Tamyka

  4. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    you wont have to worry about rain over WA at the moment. Unless of course you are going up north then bring the dinghy.

    Yes, you are a big, pink nancy boy for not riding in the rain!

    I find when the rain comes only the experienced or "keen" riders turn up so the skill level of the group is relatively higher than normal and accidents are minimised.

  5. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    byron27 wrote:

    > Tamyka Bell Wrote:
    > > Absent Husband wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Hi all,
    > > >
    > > > Given the rain in BrisVegas at the moment, thought I'd ask what the

    > > go
    > > > is for organised group rides.....??
    > > >
    > > > I mean, do most groups still ride in the rain?? Only if its

    > > drizzling??
    > > > Definitely not if its teeming down??
    > > >
    > > > Am I a prissy little pony if I don't turn up at the SLART tomorrow if
    > > > there are light showers - or will I be the only one there if I do????
    > > >
    > > > Cheers,
    > > > Absent Husband - who finds no better excuse to sleep in than wet
    > > > roads...

    > > This girl is a fair-weather rider. I don't like to get my bike dirty
    > > :)
    > >
    > > Actually, it's not so much the rain I worry about but the wet roads.
    > > I'll probably go for a run instead if it's raining. If you want, text
    > > me
    > > in the morning to see if I'll be there. I've got army training all
    > > weekend and I head off to WA for a conference next Wednesday too, so I
    > > won't be around next week.
    > >
    > > Tamyka

    > you wont have to worry about rain over WA at the moment. Unless of
    > course you are going up north then bring the dinghy.
    >
    > Yes, you are a big, pink nancy boy for not riding in the rain!
    >
    > I find when the rain comes only the experienced or "keen" riders turn
    > up so the skill level of the group is relatively higher than normal and
    > accidents are minimised.
    >
    > --
    > byron27
    >
    > 6'5", curly hair, bit like krusty the clown i spose

    I prefer to think of myself as a small, tanned nancy-girl. Hmmm, after
    numerous 4 hr+ rides with my coach in the rain, I've no intention of
    doing it out of season. As for the skill level being higher... I
    haven't actually had any problems with other cyclists in the wet,
    (except for the water spraying up into your face the whole time) but
    rather with drivers who forget that the car doesn't handle so well in
    the wet... in fact it was the most experienced cyclist in the group that
    almost got taken out last time, and the only thing that saved her was a
    sudden headwind.

  6. Fran Bailey

    Fran Bailey Guest

    Absent Husband wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Given the rain in BrisVegas at the moment, thought I'd ask what the go
    > is for organised group rides.....??
    >
    > I mean, do most groups still ride in the rain?? Only if its drizzling??
    > Definitely not if its teeming down??
    >
    > Am I a prissy little pony if I don't turn up at the SLART tomorrow if
    > there are light showers - or will I be the only one there if I do????
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Absent Husband - who finds no better excuse to sleep in than wet
    > roads...

    I grew up in England, and was surprised when I found that Aussie
    cyclists don't generally ride in the rain. In the UK, if you don't ride
    in the rain, you rarely ride!

    I must admit that after 16 years here, I'm so used to the good weather
    that I don't normally ride in the wet (from choice).

    Yours (with a 'dry' sense of humour...),
    Another Pommy Bastard.

  7. On 26 Jan 2005 16:32:47 -0800, "Absent Husband"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Given the rain in BrisVegas at the moment, thought I'd ask what the go
    >is for organised group rides.....??

    Isn't it always raining up there? :)

    >I mean, do most groups still ride in the rain??

    Hard-core groups.

    > Only if its drizzling??

    Many groups.

    >Definitely not if its teeming down??

    Water rats.

    >Am I a prissy little pony if I don't turn up at the SLART tomorrow if
    >there are light showers - or will I be the only one there if I do????

    Very sensible. Just think of all the water and wet grit that would be
    driven into all the moving parts on your bike and the consequent
    reduction of their life.

    The only good thing about rain is that when you fall over, you tend
    not to lose as much skin.

    --
    Regards.
    Richard.

  8. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    The only time I ride in the wet is during the week. It's only 9k's to work so its not a hassle, I've riden in hail, sleet...no snow yet! Saying that I never take my road bike out in the wet, so if the forecast is for showers in the afternoon, I'll ride my mountain bike to work.

    My pet hate is getting my shoes filled up with water.

    Main reason I don't take my road bike out in the wet, is the wear and tear that results, especially on those brake pads.

    So come the weekend, yeah I'm a sissy when it comes to the wet!

  9. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    You're worried about wearing your brake pads??? What about washing the grease out of all the bearings and filling your chain with grit?

    I don't like riding in the rain... this morning's five-minute downpour happened six minutes before I reached work :<

    Ritch

  10. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    What about in the infinite gradations (mostly experienced in the southern states) where heavy cloud turns to slight dampness turns to mist/drizzle/occasional flurries with sunny breaks/precipitation which has GOT to clear soon, and sometimes does, and a sunny sunset after a miserable day, which makes it all worthwhile?

    M "'C'mon back east, we have WEATHER here! What are you, a fskn LIZARD?' Bill Hicks" H

  11. "ritcho" <[email protected]> wrote in message:

    > You're worried about wearing your brake pads??? What about washing the
    > grease out of all the bearings and filling your chain with grit?

    If the rain wahes your bearing grease out, you're using the wrong sort of
    grease.

    As for the chain - Wipperman link + degreaser + lube = 10 mins

    --
    Cheers
    Peter

  12. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    I'm pretty sure I've been using the right grease, but if you ride often enough in rain, especially heavy rain, and you'll have to regrease bearings sooner than if you rode exclusively in dry weather. Anyway, my point wasn't that cleaning is onerous, it was that brake-pad wear is a pretty trivial thing to worry about compared with the other things!

    I 100% agree with your chain recipe.

    Ritch