Rain, Finally

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Scott, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Finally, a nice rain this morning to wash away the accumulated dreck and sludge of a Wisconsin
    Winter. My bike looks almost clean

    There is nothing finer than the first whisper of Spring after months of shouting snow and
    screaming cold.

    Scott, practicing the benign neglect method of Bike Maintenance ; (and really at notscape det not)

    Tags:

  2. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    Well, I saw a stand of daffodils in full bloom yesterday down here in the Upstate area of South
    Carolina. We've had a realtively cool winter. Yesterday was the first day into the 60s and we got
    close to 70. It was my first chance to do a thorough bike cleaning after all the winter miles, and a
    first chance to ride outside in shorts and short sleeved jersey.

    Of course, down here, the first real sign of Spring that anyone cares about is the Daytona 500. I
    don't recall if Dale Earnhart Jr. saw his shadow this year or not.

    Bob C.

    "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Finally, a nice rain this morning to wash away the accumulated dreck and sludge of a Wisconsin
    > Winter. My bike looks almost clean
    >
    > There is nothing finer than the first whisper of Spring after months of shouting snow and
    > screaming cold.
    >
    > Scott, practicing the benign neglect method of Bike Maintenance ; (and really at notscape det not)

  3. Kantspel

    Kantspel Guest

    It aint over yet! Seeing the temp go over freezing this week has indeed been a real treat. Now that
    some of the snow is gone I'd like to see it cold again so that the trails will be rideable.

    Scott wrote:

    > Finally, a nice rain this morning to wash away the accumulated dreck and sludge of a Wisconsin
    > Winter. My bike looks almost clean
    >
    > There is nothing finer than the first whisper of Spring after months of shouting snow and
    > screaming cold.
    >
    > Scott, practicing the benign neglect method of Bike Maintenance ; (and really at notscape det not)

  4. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    psycholist wrote:

    > Well, I saw a stand of daffodils in full bloom yesterday down here in the Upstate area of South
    > Carolina. We've had a realtively cool winter. Yesterday was the first day into the 60s and we got
    > close to
    > 70. It was my first chance to do a thorough bike cleaning after all the winter miles, and a first
    > chance to ride outside in shorts and short sleeved jersey.

    It was 55 here in southwest VA yesterday, supposed to hit 60 today. There's still snow on the ground
    from last week, but it's warm and sunny -- a beautiful combination! I'm trying to get all my work
    done so I can ride all afternoon.

    Matt O.

  5. Badger_south

    Badger_south Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:46:16 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >psycholist wrote:
    >
    >> Well, I saw a stand of daffodils in full bloom yesterday down here in the Upstate area of South
    >> Carolina. We've had a realtively cool winter. Yesterday was the first day into the 60s and we got
    >> close to
    >> 70. It was my first chance to do a thorough bike cleaning after all the winter miles, and a
    >> first chance to ride outside in shorts and short sleeved jersey.
    >
    >It was 55 here in southwest VA yesterday, supposed to hit 60 today. There's still snow on the
    >ground from last week, but it's warm and sunny -- a beautiful combination! I'm trying to get all my
    >work done so I can ride all afternoon.
    >
    >Matt O.

    Yeah, but now I'm thinking I liked it cold and 20deg, b/c now we have to put up with the chirping
    crickets, and tweeting birds, all distracting your concentration, and dammit, to say nothing all
    those scampering bunnies and other tiny livestock running across the bike trails!

    -B

  6. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:09:26 -0500, Badger_South <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    >Yeah, but now I'm thinking I liked it cold and 20deg, b/c now we have to put up with the chirping
    >crickets, and tweeting birds, all distracting your

    That's just a soundtrack.

    >concentration, and dammit, to say nothing all those scampering bunnies and other tiny livestock
    >running across the bike trails!

    That's just lunch.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  7. On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:09:26 -0500, Badger_South <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Yeah, but now I'm thinking I liked it cold and 20deg, b/c now we have to put up with the chirping
    >crickets, and tweeting birds, all distracting your concentration, and dammit, to say nothing all
    >those scampering bunnies and other tiny livestock running across the bike trails!

    If all I had to concentrate on was my own huffing and puffing, I wouldn't be riding my bike anymore.
    I'd be on a trainer.

    Or, worse, I'd have been splatted by some inattentive Ford Invasion driver. Whereupon I'd be riding
    in the endless and empty spaces of my own private purgatory, with only my repentance and the prayers
    of the faithful to sustain me.

    Let there be birdsong. But no killer chipmunks.

    -Luigi

  8. Badger_south

    Badger_south Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:36:03 -0500, Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:09:26 -0500, Badger_South <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Yeah, but now I'm thinking I liked it cold and 20deg, b/c now we have to put up with the chirping
    >>crickets, and tweeting birds, all distracting your concentration, and dammit, to say nothing all
    >>those scampering bunnies and other tiny livestock running across the bike trails!
    >
    >If all I had to concentrate on was my own huffing and puffing, I wouldn't be riding my bike
    >anymore. I'd be on a trainer.

    Well, instead of huffing and puffing, I sing to myself, but not outloud...mostly. Today it was Moody
    Blues. ;-)

    >Or, worse, I'd have been splatted by some inattentive Ford Invasion driver. Whereupon I'd be riding
    >in the endless and empty spaces of my own private purgatory, with only my repentance and the
    >prayers of the faithful to sustain me.
    >
    >Let there be birdsong. But no killer chipmunks.

    They all look so innocent at first.

    -B