Rain forecast: Should I use my PT?

SteilRider

Jan 25, 2007
Hi,

I'm racing this coming week-end and the forecast as of today is rain (scattered showers). After reading all sorts of bad experiences of mixing PowerTap SL with rain, I was wondering if I should leave it at home and go racing with conventional wheels.

BTW, this would be my first race with a PT.

What would you do?

I wont ride mine in the rain..... it may be ok but id rather not. I'm glad I live in the desert. 300 days of sunshine and lots mountains.

SteilRider said:
What would you do?
Ride it. Cover the computer head with some clear plastic wrap and secure it with a rubber band around the base. That's all I ever did and it worked fine. Others put a dab of dielectric grease around the computer/mount interface. You just need to keep the contact points dry. Pop off the hub cap and put a light coating of grease on the threads.

Depending on season, if I don't ride it in the rain, I wouldn't have power data on ~25% of my rides!

JIM WV said:
Ride it. Cover the computer head with some clear plastic wrap and secure it with a rubber band around the base. That's all I ever did and it worked fine. Others put a dab of dielectric grease around the computer/mount interface. You just need to keep the contact points dry. Pop off the hub cap and put a light coating of grease on the threads.

Depending on season, if I don't ride it in the rain, I wouldn't have power data on ~25% of my rides!
This advice is spot on.

I've ridden mine (2.4) in flood conditions in a 2hr race....I'm talking about having to wring my shoes afterwards and the water just poured off.

That was 3 weeks ago...still going strong

Go ride in the rain.
I washed my bike after a wet salty Spring ride in Michigan. I put the bike away and two days later I went for a ride and the hub was not transmitting. I opened the cover and water litterally poured out. I simply left the cover off for a couple of days and it dried out and works perfectlyto this day.
I've experienced the wet computer, too. Remove cover, let dry. I'm amazed by the durability of this equipment.

Saris told me, most common failure is due to moisture causing corrosion in the electronics "over a period of time". But hey, they all have to fail from something.

I've tried it twice.
The first time I had to send the wheel back to Saris.
The second time it quit after 20 minutes.
It did start back after several days of drying.
I won't try it again.

SteilRider said:
Hi,

I'm racing this coming week-end and the forecast as of today is rain (scattered showers). After reading all sorts of bad experiences of mixing PowerTap SL with rain, I was wondering if I should leave it at home and go racing with conventional wheels.

BTW, this would be my first race with a PT.

What would you do?