Rain Gear For Feet?

predagin

Jun 16, 2015
You never know when bad weather will strike which is why I carry rain pants and jacket in my panniers. However, I have yet to find anything for my feet. I purchased a pair of motorcycle boot covers. the problem was that they kept coming off and didn't keep out the water very well. They were meant for stationary feet not moving feet I guess.

What do you guys use to keep water out of your shoes when caught in a downpour?

I just remove my socks, the less you have on the quicker to dry out. I don't believe in rain gear, period. If I put on a cycling jacket in the rain it's for warmth, not to stay dry. Too many years in the service where you just got wet... You get used to it.

Rain gear simply makes you sweat like crazy, especially when you are active. The other point is, you have to lug your packed-away gear with you. The extra weight of the gear may become an issue. I try to ride with only what I know I will need, rather than ride with what I might need in addition to what I do need.

Going light really helps make the ride fun!

Bob

Warm weather, cycling sandals. Cold weather, Sugoi Resistor shoe covers. In between, nothing special. Feet and shoes get wet and dry off later.

I was looking for something to use to try to keep the mud from soaking into my shoes, since I would spend hours afterwards trying to get them sort of clean. I also use it during winter to keep my feet from freezing. I bought this Water Shoe Cover. It works great with my clipless and keeps them clean through the mud puddles and warm in Winter.

In wet, cool weather I wear LL. Bean Maine hunting boots, in warm weather I don't worry about it. My Gazelle is equipped to minimize splash and spray, so its not much of an issue except in rare downpours.

I just did some work on my SPD shoes to move the cleats back a little further, and decided to add pieces of duct tape to cover up the cleat-mounting opening. We'll see how that works out next time I ride in the rain.

It used to be PI Elite shoe covers with Gore Bikewear toe covers below 50 degrees and HTFU(Rule 5) over that. We are now in HTFU temps. But new rules might apply next fall.

I'm hoping that my springtime special priced Lake winter boots aren't too warm to use w/o having to **** with covers up to the HTFU point.

That will simplify bike life.