Rain Gear Question

jnorth51

May 5, 2006
Quick question on rain gear. I have noticed that some people wear these clear, thin, "rain jackets", that are see through and just go over the jersey. I think these would be great to pack with me on rides.

However, i have no idea what they are called. Rain jackets? Skins? A Cape? And, my LBS doesn't have these.

Can someone help me out? What are they called? What are they typically made of? Can these be bought online for cheap?

Cool. Thanks for the replies guys. I do have a 'rain jacket' that i can wear. Its a cycling jacket that I bought at Mountain Equipment Co-op. It's big and good for rainy days.

However, i was looking for something lighter (and cheaper) and possibly "clear/see-thru" that i can toss in my jersey pocket and dig out if it starts to rain.

The one that i am interested in, looks to be a clear plactic/see through type of deal.

Does anyone know what I am talking about?

jnorth51 said:
Cool. Thanks for the replies guys. I do have a 'rain jacket' that i can wear. Its a cycling jacket that I bought at Mountain Equipment Co-op. It's big and good for rainy days.

However, i was looking for something lighter (and cheaper) and possibly "clear/see-thru" that i can toss in my jersey pocket and dig out if it starts to rain.

The one that i am interested in, looks to be a clear plactic/see through type of deal.

Does anyone know what I am talking about?
Yes. But I can ball my marmot up to the size of a medium grapefruit and do the same thing. Plus, the fabric breathes which is a plus while excercising. It also has good ventalation in for form up zippers on the front. My wife bought me a nice REI cold wather jacket 2 christmases ago, and this winter I used the marmort for cold weather riding that that jacket. Plus I can use it when I hike, ski or when I'm out fishing.

But if you're still not convinced....
http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesomewhere.cfm/product/262/2405/6758?g=1

L

Lonnie Utah said:
Yes. But I can ball my marmot up to the size of a medium grapefruit and do the same thing. Plus, the fabric breathes which is a plus while excercising. It also has good ventalation in for form up zippers on the front. My wife bought me a nice REI cold wather jacket 2 christmases ago, and this winter I used the marmort for cold weather riding that that jacket. Plus I can use it when I hike, ski or when I'm out fishing.

But if you're still not convinced....
http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesomewhere.cfm/product/262/2405/6758?g=1

L
I beleive the Specter packs smaller than the Marmot and only weight about 6 oz. It packs about the size of a standard water bottle just a little bigger than a 12 Oz. Coke Can.

eBent said:
I beleive the Specter packs smaller than the Marmot and only weight about 6 oz. It packs about the size of a standard water bottle just a little bigger than a 12 Oz. Coke Can.
The problem with the Specter is price. They list for $225 but I have seen them on eBay for $64 and I got one at the outlet during the Presidents Day Sale for $45.

eBent said:
Take a look at

http://ebent.wordpress.com/2006/06/22/recumbent-raingear/

I never spend more than $20 for any of those but I do have to buy at the Outlet when they are on sale.
the other day i noticed Assos selling one for well over $100..

i about spit out my coffee.

i'm all for spending for exotic materials and quality...

but $300+ for lycra and some padding!? they should certainly do more than just support my meat and veg.

fnar fnar

jnorth51 said:
Lonnie - how much do these Marmot Rain Jackets usually go for?
I think my wife paid around 100 bucks. I'm not really sure since it was a gift.

I think either way you go, you'll be fine.

L

Any suggestions as to wear to buy online? With a good selection of sizes/colors at a good price?

Lonnie Utah said:
I think my wife paid around 100 bucks. I'm not really sure since it was a gift.

I think either way you go, you'll be fine.

L

jnorth51 said:
Quick question on rain gear. I have noticed that some people wear these clear, thin, "rain jackets", that are see through and just go over the jersey. I think these would be great to pack with me on rides.

However, i have no idea what they are called. Rain jackets? Skins? A Cape? And, my LBS doesn't have these.

Can someone help me out? What are they called? What are they typically made of? Can these be bought online for cheap?
This may be stating the obvious, BUT, the type of rain gear you buy depends on how/when you plan to use it.

The clear plastic DOESN'T breath ... it is not recommended for commuting. You will probably be as soaked with sweat as you might be drenched from rain if you try to ride hard & for more than 10 minutes if you were to wear almost any rain gear that doesn't breath. It will help you retain some body heat in a cold rain.

If you want to use your rain gear for commuting, then you probably want something that breaths. Even so, breathable rain gear may not transfer moisture as quickly as you might think ... but, it should be more comfortable.