Rain Gear - Recommendation Request ???!!!

Dogfighting

Guest
Hello,

I live in Ottawa, Canada. I would like to do road rides with my cycling
club this spring, summer and fall even in the rain. We cycle between 80
and 120 kilometres.

What rain cycling clothes are the best for this type of riding ?

If you could provide an Internet URL to the rain gear you are
recommending, I would appreciate it. I am probably going to buy the
rain gear this weekend or next.

Thank you in advance.

in message <[email protected]>, Dogfighting
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I live in Ottawa, Canada. I would like to do road rides with my cycling
> club this spring, summer and fall even in the rain. We cycle between 80
> and 120 kilometres.
>
> What rain cycling clothes are the best for this type of riding ?

Actually, seriously, if you're cycling reasonably fast, you don't need rain
gear (I'm in Scotland, it rains here a lot). Yes, you get wet, but if
you're using energy your body will keep warm, and provided you get dry
quickly and into dry clothes (ideally by way of a hot shower) at the end
of the trip you'll take no harm. I no longer carry my waterproofs with me
when cycling. What I do carry it a Campag windproof jacket made of very
fine nylon. It weights 110 grammes and packs into a pouch about half the
size of a bidon. Worn in rain over your normal cycling jersey it works
much like a wetsuit - it doesn't stop you getting wet but it does stop you
getting cold.

If you're cycling distances you want to keep the gear you carry as minimal
and as light as possible.

> If you could provide an Internet URL to the rain gear you are
> recommending, I would appreciate it. I am probably going to buy the
> rain gear this weekend or next.

http://www.campagnolo.com/apparel.php?gid=12&cid=17&pid=412

The trouble with Simon is that he only opens his mouth to change feet.
;; of me, by a 'friend'

Simon Brooke wrote:
> Dogfighting wrote:

>> spring, summer and fall

> Actually, seriously, if you're cycling reasonably fast, you don't
> need rain gear

Depends. Maybe you can get by with this in summer, but depending on the
temperature in early spring or late fall I stick a cheapie waterproof jacket
in my pocket.

Dogfighting <[email protected]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I live in Ottawa, Canada. I would like to do road rides with my
> cycling club this spring, summer and fall even in the rain. We cycle
> between 80 and 120 kilometres.
>
> What rain cycling clothes are the best for this type of riding ?
>
> If you could provide an Internet URL to the rain gear you are
> recommending, I would appreciate it. I am probably going to buy the
> rain gear this weekend or next.
>
> Thank you in advance.

Showers Pass Elite 2.0 eVent rain jacket is amazing. I stay
completely dry and comfortable in the pouring rain, like the 40 miles
in it last Saturday. Wade at Boure is a great source. His other
cycling clothes are the best too:

http://www.boure.com/8554.html

Showers Pass website is stuck on 2005, so it doesn't include their
2007 Elite 2.0. There are some of last years "Elite" models floating
around slightly discounted, but they're pretty much gone because it's
a great product. Showers Pass website is stuck on 2005, which doesn't
include the 2007 Elite 2.0, but it does have the 2005 Elite, which
carried forward to 2006:

http://www.showerspass.com/

The "eVent" website (maker of the breathable fabric used by Showers
Pass) is updated to include info on the Elite 2:

http://www.eventfabrics.com/event_gear/gear-showers-pass.php

Get the detachable separate hood while you're at it.

Staying dry in the pouring rain requires Lake winter cycling shoes,
gotten cheaply from lickbike.com, although they're pretty warm > 55F.
I don't know any other way to keep my feet completely dry, and wet
feet really ruin it for me:

http://www.lakecycling.com/category.aspx?categoryID=36

and Foxwear rain pants from the one-man operation Lou, in Salmon ID,
although these are pretty warm too over 55F, even in the thinnest
fabric:

http://foxwear.net/products_pants.html

Bill Westphal

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 09:10:31 +0100, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>in message <[email protected]>, Dogfighting
>('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> I live in Ottawa, Canada. I would like to do road rides with my cycling
>> club this spring, summer and fall even in the rain. We cycle between 80
>> and 120 kilometres.
>>
>> What rain cycling clothes are the best for this type of riding ?

>Actually, seriously, if you're cycling reasonably fast, you don't need rain
>gear (I'm in Scotland, it rains here a lot). Yes, you get wet, but if
>you're using energy your body will keep warm, and provided you get dry
>quickly and into dry clothes (ideally by way of a hot shower) at the end
>of the trip you'll take no harm.

I don't agree with this. Not sure of the temperatures, but if it's,
say 50F and raining consistently, at anything less than racing
intensity, I'd be far more comfortable in something of waterproof
material. The jacket you mention is the sort of thing I'd take if it
might rain a little, or was 65F and raining.

Ottawa is cold.
--
JT
****************************

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 03:38:46 -0600, Bill Westphal <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Showers Pass Elite 2.0 eVent rain jacket is amazing. I stay
>completely dry and comfortable in the pouring rain, like the 40 miles
>in it last Saturday. Wade at Boure is a great source. His other
>cycling clothes are the best too:
>
> http://www.boure.com/8554.htm

I have something similar from another maker that I use if it's raining
steadily when I go out, and it's cool.

But the thing I have doesn't crumple well into a back pocket, so when
it's going to be raining fairly hard, but on and off, I tend to use a
cheap plastic rain jacket.

And if it's warm, like above 60 or 60F and not raining hard, I use a
wind/water resistant shell.

--
JT
****************************

Dogfighting <[email protected]> wrote in news:46082172$0$16298$88260bb3
@free.teranews.com:

> Hello,
>
> I live in Ottawa, Canada. I would like to do road rides with my cycling
> club this spring, summer and fall even in the rain. We cycle between 80
> and 120 kilometres.
>
> What rain cycling clothes are the best for this type of riding ?

Just go in and see what MEC has...they have the best raingear I have ever
seen and I use it. I live in Vancouver, nuff said.

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 18:46:12 +0000, Mike Latondresse wrote:

> Just go in and see what MEC has...they have the best raingear I have
> ever seen and I use it. I live in Vancouver, nuff said.

I'll second that. I buy a lot of outdoor clothing in Canada every summer,
because the selection is so much better than in the US. The MEC in
Victoria is like a candy store.

MEC has a cycling section that's as good as a whole Performance store in
the US.

REI could learn a lot from MEC.

Matt O.

Dogfighting wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I live in Ottawa, Canada. I would like to do road rides with my cycling
> club this spring, summer and fall even in the rain. We cycle between 80
> and 120 kilometres.
>
> What rain cycling clothes are the best for this type of riding ?
>
> If you could provide an Internet URL to the rain gear you are
> recommending, I would appreciate it. I am probably going to buy the
> rain gear this weekend or next.
>
> Thank you in advance.

I am suprised nobody in rbr suggested this already, but you should search
google groups for Frankie Andreu's recommendation on rain gear from a few
years back.

--
Bill Asher

Shower Pass's Elite jacket is very good IME. I've never tried their
rain pants. I have read good reviews of Rainlegs, which cover just your
thighs.

no cotton. nooooooooo cotton.campmor.com sells inexpensive polyester t-
shirts - an absolute necessity and thoro socks in acrylic/nylon/
polester. campmor had a red ledge windbreaker on sale recommended by
backpacker. i bought one for the inside passage- needs shoulder
linings. get the campmor emails. i bought a goretex sombrero for $28.
make your own DIY. costs run 70%-80% less than store bought. the
seattle store sells everything, patterns, gortex - see the gortex
website. I need kayak gear. costs go up to $1500!!. DIY costs are near
$300. anyone can sew. takes patience. there are books on outdoor gear
sewing ask seattle and get one ILL. seattles patterns state how much
goretex needed
a light windbreaker, goretex or poly with holes in it over a poly T,
synthetic socks, with light nylon "warmup" pants and a warmth giving
dry synthetic sweater/duofold synthetic turtleneck or light poly long
underwear (campmor) in the kit plus a nylon balclava should get you
thru. the balclava is ski wear. manzella is very good.
walmart sells painter's plastic tarps at 9x12' for $1.10 a pack:
emergency storm tent. subs or adds to the honorable space blanket.

[email protected] wrote:

> no cotton. nooooooooo cotton.campmor.com sells inexpensive polyester t-
> shirts - an absolute necessity and thoro socks in acrylic/nylon/
> polester. campmor had a red ledge windbreaker on sale recommended by
> backpacker. i bought one for the inside passage- needs shoulder
> linings. get the campmor emails. i bought a goretex sombrero for $28.
> make your own DIY. costs run 70%-80% less than store bought. the
> seattle store sells everything, patterns, gortex - see the gortex
> website. I need kayak gear. costs go up to $1500!!. DIY costs are near
> $300. anyone can sew. takes patience. there are books on outdoor gear
> sewing ask seattle and get one ILL. seattles patterns state how much
> goretex needed
> a light windbreaker, goretex or poly with holes in it over a poly T,
> synthetic socks, with light nylon "warmup" pants and a warmth giving
> dry synthetic sweater/duofold synthetic turtleneck or light poly long
> underwear (campmor) in the kit plus a nylon balclava should get you
> thru. the balclava is ski wear. manzella is very good.
> walmart sells painter's plastic tarps at 9x12' for $1.10 a pack:
> emergency storm tent. subs or adds to the honorable space blanket.

Ok, stay with me and we can get you through this. Breathe. You got a wife
and kids? Good. Tell me about them. We're just going to take this nice
and easy and everything will be just fine.

--
Bill Asher

..

> Ok, stay with me and we can get you through this.

yeah, i ride 365/10 years commuting. living outside since 1976. world
famous ethologist.

On 27 Mar 2007 20:49:52 GMT, William Asher <[email protected]> wrote:

>I am suprised nobody in rbr suggested this already, but you should search
>google groups for Frankie Andreu's recommendation on rain gear from a few
>years back.

Lance won't like that.

--
JT
****************************

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:49:27 -0500, Tim McNamara wrote:

> Shower Pass's Elite jacket is very good IME. I've never tried their
> rain pants. I have read good reviews of Rainlegs, which cover just your
> thighs.

A couple of my friends have the Showers Pass jackets, and they're nicer
than anything else I've seen. I almost bought one, but I found a
Patagonia (Lightning model) that's almost as good, for half the price (on
sale).

Compared to mine, the Showers Pass is better because:

*The Patagonia has a hood that fits over the helmet, and is attached all
the time. It gets in the way of looking over one's shoulder, etc.,
whether it's up or down. If a hood is desired at all, it would be better
to fit snugly, under the helmet.

*The Patagonia has a mesh pocket in the rear, which gets wet and dirty
from underneath, from spray from the rear wheel.

*The Showers Pass is longer in the back, giving more protection from spray
from the rear wheel.

If you do buy a Showers Pass, don't get the unlined model. The Goretex
film (or whatever it is) will wear through from the inside. The lined
models are slightly bulkier and more expensive, but worth it.

It's important for rain gear to be easy to carry. The Showers Pass was
specifically designed to roll small enough to fit in a jersey pocket,
which it does (and so does my Patagonia). Some otherwise really nice rain
jackets, like Burleys, are simply too big and bulky for many of us to
bother with -- let alone if you're carrying rain pants too.

I'm with JT on carrying just a regular water-repellent windbreaker for
warmer temps though.

Finally, most beginning cyclists spend way too much on their bikes,
and not enough on their clothing.

Matt O.

[email protected] wrote:
> .
>> Ok, stay with me and we can get you through this.

> yeah, i ride 365/10 years commuting. living outside since 1976. world
> famous ethologist.

What's an ethologist?

carlfogel wrote:
> 2) A self-glorified bird-watcher.

Must be a podium bird watcher.

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:30:57 +0200, Kyle Legate <[email protected]>
wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> .
>>> Ok, stay with me and we can get you through this.

>> yeah, i ride 365/10 years commuting. living outside since 1976. world
>> famous ethologist.
>>

>What's an ethologist?

Dear Kyle,

1) A scientist who studies animal behavior, such as Darwin in some
books, or Konrad Lorenz.

2) A self-glorified bird-watcher.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

the ethologist works in the field, rain, snow, no a/c, bitxing
insects: umvelt shared
for a complete list send sase and $5.
plastic tarp and warmer top and pants in the kit are negelected but
moist satisfying when the 300km brevet thru staten island goes
theramlly wrong. satisfying to be prepared. you know man over
nature...