Rain gear! What do you guys wear and what do you do?

AmpedCycle

Dec 29, 2004
Rainy season's coming here in sacramento, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of gear to wear outside when it gets wet and cold. Any suggestions? I'll probably hit the pearl izumi outlet or the LBS... plus, what about bike maintenance? Any lubes, sealants, or the like that I'll need?
Thanks for the help!

Cold? Sacramento?:D

Come to NY in Feb. It is probably a bit differenct for you guys where it is a bit warmer and wet, but I have a $20 plastic rain cape. It keeps the rain off (mmmm sweaty cyclist) and most importantly keeps the wind off your chest.

The other thing I highly recomend is a gillet. You should be able to get a cheap one for less than $30 but look for a gore-tex one. The are great if it's cool, or to wear under your winter jersey when it is really cold, and while you have your credit card out get a hat with the ear flaps, booties (made of wet suit material, not the tt ones) and some lobster gloves (mittens with a finger so you can break and shift.

In terms of maintenance if they don't put salt on the roads you don't have to do anything special. Just be sure to clean your bike (or at least the drive train) after you ride in the rain. I have some orange cleaner, I'm not sure of the name but your LBS will have something similar.

I have a gortex suit pants and jacket best thing I found for the rain. If its a warm rain then you sweat like crazy in it. The spring rains are cold here in New Jersey so not much of an issue. Its also great on very cold days. Feet alway get wet always get cold, comes right through the bottom of shoe and having metal cleats on the bottom I'm sure doesn't help me. I have neoprene gloves for the rain and lobster glove for very cold. Gortex jacket (Performance) has a nice hood that goes over helmet keeps head dry and warm. Maintenance is just done more frequently I don't do anything specific just more often.

Up here in Seattle we probably have similar winter weather - just a bit rainier and a little colder I'm guessing. My favorite piece of rain gear is the soft shell jacket I got at REI last year. It's water repellent enough to keep out all but a downpour and breathable enough to not become a sweat box. Its pretty warm and very wind proof, not crinkley or stiff at all and moves with your body like a regular jersey. My second favorite piece of gear are booties. I have neoprene ones that don't really keep my feet dry, but they sure do stay warm.

As far as maintenance goes - dry your bike thouroghly when you get home, you'll find yourself cleaning the drivetrain a lot more often as it will get pretty gritty, pretty fast and you'll go through brakes pads like you won't beleive so stock up.

aussie bob - a "rain cape"? is that what we call a poncho? if so, you're lucky to still be alive. a billowing sail 3 sheets to the wind is a cycling hazard.

soft shells will be ok for shorter rides in light rain.

if you want serious protection, go for gore-tex. for the jacket: extra coverage in the rear, pit zips(long), extra long sleeves(maybe with elastic thumb loop).
for the pants: close fitting below the knees, full-length zips are wonderful, maybe a double layer around the part that contacts the saddle for extra life.

reflective taping: the more the merrier.

water proof shell for your helmet, and booties will just about complete the package. most times, i use regular cycling gloves, but when i tour in the winter, i bring along alpine shells with gore inserts.

philso said:
soft shells will be ok for shorter rides in light rain.

Can't agree with that. I find that my full on rain jacket will make me wetter (sweat - sure its gortex, but breathable is relative even with the pit zips open) than my softshell in the end. The rain jacket is handy for a top layer if it is really frigid and wet out as well, but it gets like that so little around here that I haven't even used the rain jacket since I got the softshell.

Eden said:
Can't agree with that. I find that my full on rain jacket will make me wetter (sweat - sure its gortex, but breathable is relative even with the pit zips open) than my softshell in the end. The rain jacket is handy for a top layer if it is really frigid and wet out as well, but it gets like that so little around here that I haven't even used the rain jacket since I got the softshell.
yes, this is also true. the point is, you can't really generalize. all you can really say is it depends on the conditions and how much you're pumping. soft shells are light years ahead of gore in breathability, but i never use mine if i'll be riding all day in a deluge.

i've got the sweetest cycling rain gear for full on conditions. unfortunately, it's not currently in production. i got it a few years back from http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp

in addition to huge pit zips, there is a covered zipper running across the back. along the lower part of the zipper is an elastic drawcord. sewn in along the upper part is something that feels like a long zip tie. when you open the zipper and pull the drawcord, it creates an aerodynamic covered vent that absolutely sucks the air from the front of the jacket and pit zips and blows it across your back. it's like having a small fan running under your jacket. it's made of heavy duty fabric to stand up to abuse ( i think it's a bit overkill for cycling) so the down side is it's a bit heavier and less packable than most cycling raingear.

anyway, getting back to your point, if you could only have 1 or the other, a soft shell is more versatile, especially if you'll be taking the car instead when it's raining buckets. otherwise, it's nice to be able to pick and choose depending on the weather.

Rain gear in California can be pretty casual. I have commuted almost daily shine or rain for 20 years (50,000 miles). Actually, my favorite is an ancient yellow bike pancho great for transition from dry to wet season. I have used two Performance Brand GoreTex jackets, the second with pants. GoreTex rules for cold, wet weather. Wool underneath GoreTex can protect in the coldest and wettest periods.

I ride year around with Shimano clipin sandals and never worry with getting wet feet largely due to mild climate and good circulation.;)

More about "Pancho" or "Rain Cape". I can't identify the manufacturer of the old favorite I mentioned - it was French. Bright yellow with orange head hood that will fit under helmet. Biggest complaint and reason I now use GoreTex is the unpleasant smell of the waterbarrier coating - which, sadly, is peeling with age.

But NO SHEETS TO THE WIND! Why? It has thumb loops and leg loops. Yes, it can catch a little wind but doesn't fly in the face. BIGGEST ADVANTAGEs: light weight, quick to retreive from storage and covers the back pack!;)