Rain Gear

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Michael Hoyt, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Michael Hoyt

    Michael Hoyt Guest

    If I'm training and it is intermittently raining lightly or moderately, I wear an Activent shell. It
    doesn't breathe great and it isn't water proof, but it suffices in the above conditions.

    I'm looking for something for wearing when its raining hard all day and I have to be on the bike.

    Has anyone tried either the Assos or Castelli clear water-proof, breathable jackets (why doesn't
    sweat close the breathing poors?)? Burley (they seem to have good venting)? Mountain Equipment Coop
    (good price and features, Canadian)? Thoughts?

    Thanks.

  2. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Michael Hoyt
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > If I'm training and it is intermittently raining lightly or moderately, I wear an Activent shell.
    > It doesn't breathe great and it isn't water proof, but it suffices in the above conditions.
    >
    > I'm looking for something for wearing when its raining hard all day and I have to be on the bike.
    >
    > Has anyone tried either the Assos or Castelli clear water-proof, breathable jackets (why doesn't
    > sweat close the breathing poors?)? Burley (they seem to have good venting)? Mountain Equipment
    > Coop (good price and features, Canadian)? Thoughts?

    Gore-tex is the best you can do. Performance Bike has some good stuff.

    -WG

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    33 gallon Glad bags...............

  4. Michael Hoyt <[email protected]> writes:

    > If I'm training and it is intermittently raining lightly or moderately, I wear an Activent shell.
    > It doesn't breathe great and it isn't water proof, but it suffices in the above conditions.
    >
    > I'm looking for something for wearing when its raining hard all day and I have to be on the bike.
    >
    > Has anyone tried either the Assos or Castelli clear water-proof, breathable jackets (why doesn't
    > sweat close the breathing poors?)? Burley (they seem to have good venting)? Mountain Equipment
    > Coop (good price and features, Canadian)? Thoughts?

    http://www.glad.com/trashbags.html

    Always keep one in my jersey pocket, just in case...

    -Gerard

  5. All day rain and not too warm - I use a Louis Garneau CAD$19.99 clear PVC jacket. There's enough
    venting on the sides to make it work.

    All day rain and cool ( below 10 C) - the MEC does make a nice GoreTex jacket - Bernoulli (sp?) with
    matching pants

    All day rain and cold ( below 5 C) - I stare at the walls on the trainer

    Michael Hoyt <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > If I'm training and it is intermittently raining lightly or moderately, I wear an Activent shell.
    > It doesn't breathe great and it isn't water proof, but it suffices in the above conditions.
    >
    > I'm looking for something for wearing when its raining hard all day and I have to be on the bike.
    >
    > Has anyone tried either the Assos or Castelli clear water-proof, breathable jackets (why doesn't
    > sweat close the breathing poors?)? Burley (they seem to have good venting)? Mountain Equipment
    > Coop (good price and features, Canadian)? Thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks.

  6. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    When it's raining hard the air outside will be full of moisture. So no fabric will allow your inside
    moisture to escape.

    Your only chance of keeping dry is to reduce your sweat and/or exchange inside warm air with outisde
    cold air. Since air's capacity to hold mositure doubles with every 20F increase the humid cold air
    might be less humid then the warm air once it's warmed up. But then you have to provide the heat to
    warm it up. So it's all a balancing act.

    That said, for warm rain you will get wet. For cold rain a combination of a waterproof yet
    breathable fabric (GoreTex) with vents, either armpit or across the middle of the back, works well.

    -Bruce

    > Michael Hoyt <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > > If I'm training and it is intermittently raining lightly or moderately, I wear an Activent
    > > shell. It doesn't breathe great and it isn't water proof, but it suffices in the above
    > > conditions.
    > >
    > > I'm looking for something for wearing when its raining hard all day and I have to be on
    > > the bike.
    > >
    > > Has anyone tried either the Assos or Castelli clear water-proof, breathable jackets (why doesn't
    > > sweat close the breathing poors?)? Burley (they seem to have good venting)? Mountain Equipment
    > > Coop (good price and features, Canadian)? Thoughts?

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >All day rain and not too warm - I use a Louis Garneau CAD$19.99 clear PVC jacket. There's enough
    >venting on the sides to make it work.

    You can get essentially the same jacket from Campmor for $9.99, or less if you get more than one.
    Alex