Rain - I don't understand

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Huw Pritchard, Apr 1, 2003.

  1. Why is it that when it tips down with rain (as it decided to start doing during my ride into work
    this morning, sans waterproofs) all the people who have travelled in their nice little heated steel
    boxes complain about the weather despite being nowhere nearly as wet as I was?

  2. The Mark

    The Mark Guest

    Huw Pritchard wrote:
    > Why is it that when it tips down with rain (as it decided to start doing during my ride into work
    > this morning, sans waterproofs) all the people who have travelled in their nice little heated
    > steel boxes complain about the weather despite being nowhere nearly as wet as I was?

    It's funny that. I find the same. I got up this morning to nice blue skys, I got on the bike and a
    big dark cloud appeared and followed me all the way to work, at least the wind was behind me:) When
    I got to work the sky was nice and blue again and it took me most of the day to dry my gear. The
    people who come in their steel boxes said I was mad. I don't care I enjoyed the ride.

    The best thing about the day was I was given a bottle of champaigne at work for the effort I put in
    last month :). I must have looked stupid riding home with the fancilly wrapped bottle sticking out
    of my bum bag.
    --
    Mark

  3. Lurkio

    Lurkio Guest

    "the Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Huw Pritchard wrote:
    > > Why is it that when it tips down with rain (as it decided to start doing during my ride into
    > > work this morning, sans waterproofs) all the people who have travelled in their nice little
    > > heated steel boxes complain about the weather despite being nowhere nearly as wet as I was?
    >
    > It's funny that. I find the same. I got up this morning to nice blue skys,
    > got on the bike and a big dark cloud appeared and followed me all the way
    > work, at least the wind was behind me:) When I got to work the sky was
    nice
    > and blue again and it took me most of the day to dry my gear. The people
    who
    > come in their steel boxes said I was mad. I don't care I enjoyed the ride.
    >
    > The best thing about the day was I was given a bottle of champaigne at
    work
    > for the effort I put in last month :). I must have looked stupid riding home with the fancilly
    > wrapped bottle sticking out of my bum bag.
    > --
    > Mark

    newbie here 4 weeks and counting

    morning got soaked punctured front and rear at same time walked the last mile to work no puncture
    kit (educated now) colleagues laugh lunchtime went to bike/car spares shop purchased puncture kit.
    no tyre leavers. fixed puncture with aid of tea spoons, colleagues complain

    bent that stupid vale thingy. realized halfords pump is crap.

    Home time rode home on under tires got hailed on got soaked fixed that stupid valve with pliers

    tomorrow try again

  4. Huw Pritchard <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Why is it that when it tips down with rain (as it decided to start doing during my ride into work
    > this morning, sans waterproofs) all the people who have travelled in their nice little heated
    > steel boxes complain about the weather despite being nowhere nearly as wet as I was?

    Dunno. I was in my cage this morning and grateful because it got its first wash for weeks! Did you,
    Huw, get your first wash for weeks this morning? Well, I hope not, anyway!

    Trev

  5. [email protected] wrote: ( Dunno. I was in my cage this morning and grateful because it got )
    its first wash for weeks!

    My bike got its first wash this morning since bringing back an appreciably thick coating of chalk
    dust from a rambling kite-watch in the Chilterns. It may not actually be much lighter as a result,
    but it is so much cleaner that it feels as though it is going faster.

  6. Rory

    Rory Guest

    "the Mark" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > ... and it took me most of the day to dry my gear. The people who come in their steel boxes said I
    > was mad. I don't care I enjoyed the ride.

    Same here: it seems too cold and wet looking out the window. You tog-out and go outside, still
    seems miserable. But 10 seconds into the ride, everything is great! and as you warm-up you can
    even appreciate the cooling rain. But the traffic is always heavier, the drivers always
    sadder.. Fcuk 'em!

  7. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 19:10:23 +0000 (UTC), "the Mark" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The best thing about the day was I was given a bottle of champaigne at work for the effort I put in
    >last month :). I must have looked stupid riding home with the fancilly wrapped bottle sticking out
    >of my bum bag.

    Don't do it too often, Mark. I ruined an extremely nice Salomon bum bag by stuffing a wine bottle
    into it once too often.

    Whatever, and ignoring your self-confessed stupidity, congrats on the bubbly bounty.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  8. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 01 Apr 2003 20:27:52 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    >Good for you! The days when the sun shines - but it's not too hot, and the breeze is just right
    >make up for the sh**ty days - honest.

    Today: Wearing just my cycling shoes, a t-shirt and a pair of non-bib cycling shorts I trundled
    along to the newsagents to pay my overdue paper bill.

    According to Sod's Law (sub-paragraph 4b) I was caught in a brief shower. The result: my hair ended
    up looking like a rat's nest - 'tis regrowing after my shaving it all off several months ago.

    So, feeling a little sorry for myself, I trundled some more, this time along to my LBS (local
    barber's shop) and had a nice and neat grade three - which should last me for about six months.

    Sod's Law (section 27) states that I'm bound to catch a cold. But at least my hair will look okay
    when I'm sneezing.

    End of whimsical post.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  9. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 02 Apr 2003 17:19:59 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    >Bad move - obviously you weren't a boy scout in a previous existance. Saving grace - non-b*bshorts.
    >I expect you cut a fine dash in them ;-)

    I went to Cubs once, and I mean just once. I bumped into a bloke with who I'd had a bit of a scrap
    that same day at school. He was a long-standing member of the pack so guess who was asked not to
    come the following week? The only dashing involved was my getting on the big ring and little(ish)
    cog in order to avoid getting even more wet.

    We did have a non-affiliated scout troupe at school. By non-affiliated I mean that we did scout-type
    things but without and dibs, dobs or woggles.

    >Rat's nest hair-dos are very trendy, James.

    Not at my age or when some of the front bits of hair are no longer present.

    >Ah ha, the Mitchell Bros 'ard man look??

    Mitchell Bros. Who?

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  10. Drifter

    Drifter Guest

    James Hodson wrote:

    > On 01 Apr 2003 20:27:52 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:
    >
    > >Good for you! The days when the sun shines - but it's not too hot, and the breeze is just right
    > >make up for the sh**ty days - honest.
    > >

    > Today: Wearing just my cycling shoes, a t-shirt and a pair of non-bib cycling shorts I trundled
    > along to the newsagents to pay my overdue paper bill.
    >
    > According to Sod's Law (sub-paragraph 4b) I was caught in a brief shower. The result: my hair
    > ended up looking like a rat's nest - 'tis regrowing after my shaving it all off several
    > months ago.

    Often rain means it is warmer weather in the winter and spring as opposed to no rain and the
    temperature dips.

    Having a shaved head for 10 years - before most other guys did was great
    - now with 2 year's grow, I have a rat's nest at the best of times. A senior manager passed by the
    other day in the hall and said, I don't know if I like your new hairstyle better than your
    brushcut or not! -- to which I replied, "Nobody likes this hairstyle -- (long hair not tied back
    just hanging and blowing in the wind) -- and I take a lot of heat for it!

    > So, feeling a little sorry for myself, I trundled some more, this time along to my LBS (local
    > barber's shop) and had a nice and neat grade three - which should last me for about six months.
    >
    > Sod's Law (section 27) states that I'm bound to catch a cold. But at least my hair will look okay
    > when I'm sneezing.
    >
    > End of whimsical post.
    >
    > James
    >
    > --
    > A credit limit is NOT a target.

  11. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 11:01:44 GMT, drifter <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Having a shaved head for 10 years - before most other guys did was great
    >- now with 2 year's grow, I have a rat's nest at the best of times.

    My problem was in performing the initial shave. Due to my bang on the bonce - hereinafter in u.r.c
    to be known as botbĀ® - my right arm doesn't work too well. So, after the almighty defolification, I
    had several nasty scars on the right side of my newly-exposed skull. Very nasty, albeit in a rock
    'ard and mean-looking way.

    FWIW: Re. botb: [email protected] was my old e-mail addy before I broadbanded myself. When I
    got digital TV I chose [email protected] etc as my telly's e-mail addy. botb, this time, standing for butty
    on the box.

    Why butty? Don't ask. If I told you I'd have to kill you... or not.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  12. Terry J

    Terry J Guest

    > who have travelled in their nice little heated steel boxes complain about the weather despite
    > being nowhere nearly as wet as I was?

    Because you had more fun. I often don't remember getting wet.

    TerryJ