Rain - I don't understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Huw Pritchard

Why is it that when it tips down with rain (as it decided to start doing during my ride into work
this morning, sans waterproofs) all the people who have travelled in their nice little heated steel
boxes complain about the weather despite being nowhere nearly as wet as I was?

--
Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail

Huw Pritchard wrote:
> Why is it that when it tips down with rain (as it decided to start doing during my ride into work
> this morning, sans waterproofs) all the people who have travelled in their nice little heated
> steel boxes complain about the weather despite being nowhere nearly as wet as I was?

It's funny that. I find the same. I got up this morning to nice blue skys, I got on the bike and a
big dark cloud appeared and followed me all the way to work, at least the wind was behind me:) When
I got to work the sky was nice and blue again and it took me most of the day to dry my gear. The
people who come in their steel boxes said I was mad. I don't care I enjoyed the ride.

The best thing about the day was I was given a bottle of champaigne at work for the effort I put in
last month :). I must have looked stupid riding home with the fancilly wrapped bottle sticking out
of my bum bag.
--
Mark

"the Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Huw Pritchard wrote:
> > Why is it that when it tips down with rain (as it decided to start doing during my ride into
> > work this morning, sans waterproofs) all the people who have travelled in their nice little
> > heated steel boxes complain about the weather despite being nowhere nearly as wet as I was?
>
> It's funny that. I find the same. I got up this morning to nice blue skys,
I
> got on the bike and a big dark cloud appeared and followed me all the way
to
> work, at least the wind was behind me:) When I got to work the sky was
nice
> and blue again and it took me most of the day to dry my gear. The people
who
> come in their steel boxes said I was mad. I don't care I enjoyed the ride.
>
> The best thing about the day was I was given a bottle of champaigne at
work
> for the effort I put in last month :). I must have looked stupid riding home with the fancilly
> wrapped bottle sticking out of my bum bag.
> --
> Mark
>
>
newbie here 4 weeks and counting

morning got soaked punctured front and rear at same time walked the last mile to work no puncture
kit (educated now) colleagues laugh lunchtime went to bike/car spares shop purchased puncture kit.
no tyre leavers. fixed puncture with aid of tea spoons, colleagues complain

bent that stupid vale thingy. realized halfords pump is ****.

Home time rode home on under tires got hailed on got soaked fixed that stupid valve with pliers

tomorrow try again

Huw Pritchard <[email protected]> wrote:
> Why is it that when it tips down with rain (as it decided to start doing during my ride into work
> this morning, sans waterproofs) all the people who have travelled in their nice little heated
> steel boxes complain about the weather despite being nowhere nearly as wet as I was?

Dunno. I was in my cage this morning and grateful because it got its first wash for weeks! Did you,
Huw, get your first wash for weeks this morning? Well, I hope not, anyway!

Trev

[email protected] wrote: ( Dunno. I was in my cage this morning and grateful because it got )
its first wash for weeks!

My bike got its first wash this morning since bringing back an appreciably thick coating of chalk
dust from a rambling kite-watch in the Chilterns. It may not actually be much lighter as a result,
but it is so much cleaner that it feels as though it is going faster.

"the Mark" <[email protected]> wrote:
> ... and it took me most of the day to dry my gear. The people who come in their steel boxes said I
> was mad. I don't care I enjoyed the ride.

Same here: it seems too cold and wet looking out the window. You tog-out and go outside, still
seems miserable. But 10 seconds into the ride, everything is great! and as you warm-up you can
even appreciate the cooling rain. But the traffic is always heavier, the drivers always
sadder.. Fcuk 'em!

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 19:10:23 +0000 (UTC), "the Mark" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The best thing about the day was I was given a bottle of champaigne at work for the effort I put in
>last month :). I must have looked stupid riding home with the fancilly wrapped bottle sticking out
>of my bum bag.

Don't do it too often, Mark. I ruined an extremely nice Salomon bum bag by stuffing a wine bottle
into it once too often.

Whatever, and ignoring your self-confessed stupidity, congrats on the bubbly bounty.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

On 01 Apr 2003 20:27:52 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>Good for you! The days when the sun shines - but it's not too hot, and the breeze is just right
>make up for the sh**ty days - honest.
>

Today: Wearing just my cycling shoes, a t-shirt and a pair of non-bib cycling shorts I trundled
along to the newsagents to pay my overdue paper bill.

According to Sod's Law (sub-paragraph 4b) I was caught in a brief shower. The result: my hair ended
up looking like a rat's nest - 'tis regrowing after my shaving it all off several months ago.

So, feeling a little sorry for myself, I trundled some more, this time along to my LBS (local
barber's shop) and had a nice and neat grade three - which should last me for about six months.

Sod's Law (section 27) states that I'm bound to catch a cold. But at least my hair will look okay
when I'm sneezing.

End of whimsical post.

James

--

On 02 Apr 2003 17:19:59 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>Bad move - obviously you weren't a boy scout in a previous existance. Saving grace - non-b*bshorts.
>I expect you cut a fine dash in them ;-)
>
I went to Cubs once, and I mean just once. I bumped into a bloke with who I'd had a bit of a scrap
that same day at school. He was a long-standing member of the pack so guess who was asked not to
come the following week? The only dashing involved was my getting on the big ring and little(ish)
cog in order to avoid getting even more wet.

We did have a non-affiliated scout troupe at school. By non-affiliated I mean that we did scout-type
things but without and dibs, dobs or woggles.

>Rat's nest hair-dos are very trendy, James.
>
Not at my age or when some of the front bits of hair are no longer present.

>Ah ha, the Mitchell Bros 'ard man look??
>
Mitchell Bros. Who?

James

--

James Hodson wrote:
>
> On 01 Apr 2003 20:27:52 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:
>
> >Good for you! The days when the sun shines - but it's not too hot, and the breeze is just right
> >make up for the sh**ty days - honest.
> >
>
> Today: Wearing just my cycling shoes, a t-shirt and a pair of non-bib cycling shorts I trundled
> along to the newsagents to pay my overdue paper bill.
>
> According to Sod's Law (sub-paragraph 4b) I was caught in a brief shower. The result: my hair
> ended up looking like a rat's nest - 'tis regrowing after my shaving it all off several
> months ago.
>

Often rain means it is warmer weather in the winter and spring as opposed to no rain and the
temperature dips.

Having a shaved head for 10 years - before most other guys did was great
- now with 2 year's grow, I have a rat's nest at the best of times. A senior manager passed by the
other day in the hall and said, I don't know if I like your new hairstyle better than your
brushcut or not! -- to which I replied, "Nobody likes this hairstyle -- (long hair not tied back
just hanging and blowing in the wind) -- and I take a lot of heat for it!

> So, feeling a little sorry for myself, I trundled some more, this time along to my LBS (local
> barber's shop) and had a nice and neat grade three - which should last me for about six months.
>
> Sod's Law (section 27) states that I'm bound to catch a cold. But at least my hair will look okay
> when I'm sneezing.
>
> End of whimsical post.
>
> James
>
> --
> A credit limit is NOT a target.

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 11:01:44 GMT, drifter <[email protected]> wrote:

>Having a shaved head for 10 years - before most other guys did was great
>- now with 2 year's grow, I have a rat's nest at the best of times.

My problem was in performing the initial shave. Due to my bang on the bonce - hereinafter in u.r.c
to be known as botb® - my right arm doesn't work too well. So, after the almighty defolification, I
had several nasty scars on the right side of my newly-exposed skull. Very nasty, albeit in a rock
'ard and mean-looking way.

FWIW: Re. botb: [email protected] was my old e-mail addy before I broadbanded myself. When I
got digital TV I chose botb@ntl etc as my telly's e-mail addy. botb, this time, standing for butty
on the box.

Why butty? Don't ask. If I told you I'd have to kill you... or not.

James

--

> who have travelled in their nice little heated steel boxes complain about the weather despite
> being nowhere nearly as wet as I was?

Because you had more fun. I often don't remember getting wet.

TerryJ

Status
Not open for further replies.