Rain jackets?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Alan Walker, Jun 10, 2003.

  1. Alan Walker

    Alan Walker Guest

    I'm looking for a waterproof, breathable jacket, waist/hip length, with a hood, in
    conspicuous colours.

    The GroundEffect "Storm Trooper" appeals.

    Does anyone have any comments, good or bad, about this jacket, or recommendations for
    something better?

    Cheers

    Alan Walker

    Tags:

  2. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    Alan Walker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for a waterproof, breathable jacket, waist/hip length, with a hood, in conspicuous
    > colours.
    >
    > The GroundEffect "Storm Trooper" appeals.
    >
    > Does anyone have any comments, good or bad, about this jacket, or recommendations for
    > something better?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Alan Walker

    Alan would have to recommend the Netti D2 jacket, made with entrant material with sealed seems, zip
    off sleeves and plenty of vents. come in about $199 and available in blue or yellow. Not had much
    experience with Ground effect but know they sell direct and buying in NZ dollars should make them
    pretty competitively priced.

    Cheers

    David

  3. Russell Lang

    Russell Lang Guest

    "Alan Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for a waterproof, breathable jacket, waist/hip length, with a hood, in conspicuous
    > colours.
    >
    > The GroundEffect "Storm Trooper" appeals.
    >
    > Does anyone have any comments, good or bad, about this jacket, or recommendations for
    > something better?

    Beware of hoods while riding. If it obscures your view you could be in trouble. My experience
    (before helmets) lead to a terminally bent bicycle and chipped teeth. I think the parked car may
    have suffered a bent bumper bar.

  4. Gags

    Gags Guest

    Alan,

    I was pretty keen on the Ground Effect gear but unfortunately they don't make anything in XL. I even
    emailed the company asking if they had any plans in future of expanding into XL but I am outa
    luck.......at 6'5"
    (196cm) and 98kg, I am bigger than "average" and for some reason, a lot of cycling apparel seems to
    be made for the "below average" sized rider with the so called "longer tail" barely reaching
    my bum, let alone covering it. I guess that it might have to do with the average size of pro
    cyclists which I think is pretty small (I seem to recall Miguel Indurain being the biggest
    rider in the Tour de France a few years back at 185cm or something like that). Anyway, I
    ended up with an XXL Netti Jacket - unsure of model but it has vents under sleeves and is
    made of the "Entrant" fabric. I am pretty happy with it having used it throughout winter in
    Canberra last year.

    Good Luck,

    Gags

    "Alan Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for a waterproof, breathable jacket, waist/hip length, with a hood, in conspicuous
    > colours.
    >
    > The GroundEffect "Storm Trooper" appeals.
    >
    > Does anyone have any comments, good or bad, about this jacket, or recommendations for
    > something better?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Alan Walker

  5. Ideal

    Ideal Guest

    http://www.bikesportz.com.au/frames_home.htm

    have just released a wide range of rainwear from basic right through to stormwear can't for the life
    of me remeber the brandname though , but they looked good & had some big sizes too, they even had
    some waterproof gloves with spectacle wipes on the thumb . Being imported they were very
    competitively priced too. Give them a ring & find a dealer near you.

    Gags wrote:
    > Alan,
    >
    > I was pretty keen on the Ground Effect gear but unfortunately they don't make anything in XL. I
    > even emailed the company asking if they had any plans in future of expanding into XL but I am outa
    > luck.......at 6'5"
    > (196cm) and 98kg, I am bigger than "average" and for some reason, a lot of cycling apparel seems
    > to be made for the "below average" sized rider with the so called "longer tail" barely
    > reaching my bum, let alone covering it. I guess that it might have to do with the average
    > size of pro cyclists which I think is pretty small (I seem to recall Miguel Indurain being
    > the biggest rider in the Tour de France a few years back at 185cm or something like that).
    > Anyway, I ended up with an XXL Netti Jacket - unsure of model but it has vents under
    > sleeves and is made of the "Entrant" fabric. I am pretty happy with it having used it
    > throughout winter in Canberra last year.
    >
    > Good Luck,
    >
    > Gags
    >

    > "Alan Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I'm looking for a waterproof, breathable jacket, waist/hip length, with a hood, in conspicuous
    >>colours.
    >>
    >>The GroundEffect "Storm Trooper" appeals.
    >>
    >>Does anyone have any comments, good or bad, about this jacket, or recommendations for
    >>something better?
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>
    >>Alan Walker

  6. "Alan Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for a waterproof, breathable jacket, waist/hip length, with a hood, in conspicuous
    > colours.
    >
    > The GroundEffect "Storm Trooper" appeals.
    >
    > Does anyone have any comments, good or bad, about this jacket, or recommendations for
    > something better?

    Hi Alan

    It really depends on the type of use you intend to put the jacket to, and the budget. For shorter
    rides and brief showers the Stormtrooper looks to be a good jacket for the money at $NZ299 (about
    $A270) but I have no direct experience of it. I have their Flash Gordon jacket which is a good
    windproof but only suited to short showers. In sustained rain it will let water through. I save it
    mainly for lightly loaded day rides out of the winter months.

    For real wet weather I replaced my ageing WE Goretex Cyclecag with a jacket by Mont called the
    Hammerhead. http://www.mont.com.au/shellwear_detail.asp?shellwearID=SW14

    It's made of their own fabric called Hydronaute and works as well as Goretex. Checked The Wilderness
    Shop in Box Hill and they have it for $429. Its advantages over the Stormtrooper would appear to be:
    two way front zip, adjustable wrist tabs, a large zip-off hood (will actually go over your helmet,
    handy when off the bike in rain), waist, hem and hood draw-cords. It feels a more robust fabric,
    similar to Goretex and doesn't flap about much. It is a more bulky jacket to pack away compared to
    things like Netti Entrant etc. I'm happy to put up with that minor nuisance when I'm on longer
    multi-day tours, and in the depths of winter.

    Cheers Peter

  7. Keith

    Keith Guest

    [email protected] (Alan Walker) wrote ...

    > I'm looking for a waterproof, breathable jacket, waist/hip length, with a hood, in conspicuous
    > colours.
    >
    > The GroundEffect "Storm Trooper" appeals.
    >
    > Does anyone have ... recommendations for something better?
    >
    > Alan Walker

    Mountain Designs produce their Cyclite. I bought one for cycling and rowing and it is superb.
    Pricey, but it has almost all the features one could hope for given the present state of fabric
    technology.

    One day there will be a fabric which is (a) insulated, (b) stetchy (c) waterproof and (d) breathes.
    Until then, the cyclite is the best there is in Australia.

    Here's the direct link: http://www.mountaindesigns.com/Index.cfm?Action=Products&Subaction=productL-
    ist&ParentCategoryID=28&CategoryID=30

    Or do a Google search om Mountain designs, then go to <Mens> then <Outerwear>

    Keith

  8. Keith wrote:

    > [email protected] (Alan Walker) wrote ...
    >

    >>I'm looking for a waterproof, breathable jacket, waist/hip length, with a hood, in conspicuous
    >>colours.
    >>
    >>The GroundEffect "Storm Trooper" appeals.
    >>
    >>Does anyone have ... recommendations for something better?
    >>
    >>Alan Walker
    >

    > Mountain Designs produce their Cyclite. I bought one for cycling and rowing and it is superb.
    > Pricey, but it has almost all the features one could hope for given the present state of fabric
    > technology.
    >
    > One day there will be a fabric which is (a) insulated, (b) stetchy (c) waterproof and (d)
    > breathes. Until then, the cyclite is the best there is in Australia.
    >
    > Here's the direct link: http://www.mountaindesigns.com/Index.cfm?Action=Products&Subaction=produc-
    > tList&ParentCategoryID=28&CategoryID=30
    >
    > Or do a Google search om Mountain designs, then go to <Mens> then <Outerwear>
    >
    > Keith

    I'll second the motion for Mountain Designs .. if you can afford it. Got my jacket in 97 or 98 .. it
    still works a treat, even survived 3 years cycle courier-ing. It cost me a mint at the time, but
    balanced against the cost of taking days of with a cold, I'm well ahead.

  9. "Keith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Mountain Designs produce their Cyclite. I bought one for cycling and rowing and it is superb.
    > Pricey, but it has almost all the features one could hope for given the present state of fabric
    > technology.

    I looked at the MD and, yes, it is a great jacket with all the right features.

    But then I found the Mont Hammerhead in their Hydronaute fabric which has the same
    waterproof/breathable quality as Goretex. Almost identical features to the MD Cyclite, with a
    pricetag that is $170 lower. for the money I reckon it's a fantastic jacket. Kept me warm and dry
    cycling in continuous rain and hail in the mountains around The Bluff. Check it out.

    Cheers Petr