Rain Saturday & Sunday favors Ullrich

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by ESMD, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. ESMD

    ESMD New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2003
    In my opinion, rain Saturday for the TT greatly favors Ullrich's in-the-seat, higher gear, lower RPM, properly distributed weight on the bike riding style and hurts Armstrong with his out-of-the seat, lower gear, higher RPM, poorly distribution weight riding style. Armstrong's riding style and manic pedal aggression on the slick streets could easily put him on his butt for the 3rd time. I didn't think Ullrich had a chance to beat Armstrong, but with rain both Saturday, and for the finish Sunday, a major upset could brewing. Either way it has been a great race this year!

    Tags:

  2. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    Except that Jan has to make it around the wet course 66 seconds faster than Lance. Advantage Lance.

    Bob C.

    "ESMD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In my opinion, rain Saturday for the TT greatly favors Ullrich's in-the-seat, higher gear, lower
    > RPM, properly distributed weight on the bike riding style and hurts Armstrong with his out-of-the
    > seat, lower gear, higher RPM, poorly distribution weight riding style. Armstrong's riding style
    > and manic pedal aggression on the slick streets could easily put him on his butt for the 3rd time.
    > I didn't think Ullrich had a chance to beat Armstrong, but with rain both Saturday, and for the
    > finish Sunday, a major upset could brewing. Either way it has been a great race this year!

  3. Mack Mad

    Mack Mad Guest

    "ESMD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In my opinion, rain Saturday for the TT greatly favors Ullrich's in-the-seat, higher gear, lower
    > RPM, properly distributed weight on the bike riding style and hurts Armstrong with his out-of-the
    > seat, lower gear, higher RPM, poorly distribution weight riding style. Armstrong's riding style
    > and manic pedal aggression on the slick streets could easily put him on his butt for the 3rd time.
    > I didn't think Ullrich had a chance to beat Armstrong, but with rain both Saturday, and for the
    > finish Sunday, a major upset could brewing. Either way it has been a great race this year!

    I see it the other way.

    First of all there will be nearly no reason for Lance to get out of the seat the next two days.
    There aren't any climbs or elevation changes in the course to necessitate it. And on a TT the goal
    is to stay in the bars 100% of the time. So this is not an issue.

    Ullrich's pedalling style creates a bunch more torque than Lance, thus a greater chance that one of
    his pedal strokes slips the rear wheel. Lance's torque is a bit lower and would have less of a
    tendency to slip.

    For example: If you are climbing on a wet road, you don't slip when you are spinning at a high RPM,
    you slip when you are trying to push a bigger gear than you should and get out of the saddle. Since
    Lance won't have to get out of the saddle, it only leaves RPM and torque to consider.

    Lance also is an excellent bike handler and does mountain biking and cyclo-cross frequently. Some
    wet roads aren't going to phase him, so look elsewhere for your chink in his armor.

  4. Tom Paterson

    Tom Paterson Guest

    >From: ESMD

    Armstrong's
    >riding style and manic pedal aggression >on the slick streets could easily put him on his butt for
    >the 3rd time.

    Maybe he'll channel the pre-cancer Lance of 1993:

    http://www.shbc.org/shbc/1993WC.html

    Ever see the vid of that race? Mr. Lance can ride in the wet ok. --Tom Paterson

  5. >From: ESMD [email protected] Date: 7/25/03 5:10 PM Pacific

    >In my opinion, rain Saturday for the TT greatly favors Ullrich's in-the-seat, higher gear, lower
    >RPM, properly distributed weight on the bike riding style and hurts Armstrong <<

    What is the huge, obvious thing you are forgetting?

    Rain=Cooler weather.

    Cooler weather=non-dehydrated, overheating Armstrong.

  6. Tony Austn

    Tony Austn Guest

    If there is rain, there will be wind coming onshore off the ocean. Wind will make all of times much
    closer to each others.