Rainbow Lyra/Longo help...

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Disgruntled Goa, Jun 18, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I'm looking for a new recumbent. I've ordered a USS Optima Orca but I'm on the point of canceling
    due to the time Optima are taking with my order. (15 weeks now and counting) Anyway, as a
    replacement, I'm looking at either the Rainbow Lyra (USS SWB) or the Longo. Has anyone seen/ridden
    either of them? I'm 6'8" and 20stone (2.05m, 125kg) and I'm concerned about the strength and amount
    of flex on the frame. Which of the two would be the better option for me? I like the looks of the
    Longo, but what's the handling on it like? Are the 20/20 wheels much twitchier? Will the longer
    wheelbase be more stable? Comments from anyone with similar set-up bikes welcome!

    http://www.rainbowligfietsen.nl/modellen/Longo/index.html
    http://www.rainbowligfietsen.nl/modellen/Lyra/index.html

    TIA.

    --
    DG

    Bah!

    Tags:

  2. Seamus

    Seamus New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003
  3. On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:44:02 +0100, Disgruntled Goat <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I've ordered a USS Optima Orca but I'm on the point of canceling due to the time Optima are taking
    >with my order. (15 weeks now and counting) Anyway, as a replacement, I'm looking at either the
    >Rainbow Lyra (USS SWB) or the Longo.

    No experience, sorry, but there are a few others which seem similar: the Challenge Distance, Nazca
    Pioneer and the Zox 26. Also try contacting some Dutch shops - you can probably find someone who has
    one of the above in stock.

  4. Only ridden the Longo twice around the block, but found it quite pleasant, without obvious vices.
    Borrowed an USS Lyra for two days, and didn't like it quite as much; the combination of indirect
    steering and a front wheel close to the seat results in slightly vague steering. I'd say the Longo
    is the better bike in USS. Actually, I wouldn't recommend any SWB with indirect steering. Must say I
    cycled through gale force winds on the Lyra without any mishap, so it's not unsafe or anything, but
    it does feel a bit sloppy (bit like an old Lada, if you ever driven one). Could be I got a bit
    spoiled on the Baron, which is both sharp and stable...

    Mark van Gorkom.

    P.S.: Optima are well known for their speedy delivery....not!

  5. On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 18:00:15 GMT, [email protected] (Mark van Gorkom) wrote:

    >Only ridden the Longo twice around the block, but found it quite pleasant, without obvious vices.
    >Borrowed an USS Lyra for two days, and didn't like it quite as much; the combination of indirect
    >steering and a front wheel close to the seat results in slightly vague steering. I'd say the Longo
    >is the better bike in USS

    Interesting. I like it's looks. Holland is a bit far to test one and they don't have a UK
    dealer, though.

    >. Actually, I wouldn't recommend any SWB with indirect steering.

    Why's that?

    > Must say I cycled through gale force winds on the Lyra without any mishap, so it's not unsafe or
    > anything, but it does feel a bit sloppy (bit like an old Lada, if you ever driven one).

    I'm not a driver, but I think IKWYM.

    >Could be I got a bit spoiled on the Baron, which is both sharp and stable...
    >
    >Mark van Gorkom.
    >
    >P.S.: Optima are well known for their speedy delivery....not!

    I just had a call from the shop today. Only 15 weeks to deliver. But I have had a nice explanation
    and apology from Optima. Now to see of it's any good or not.
    --
    DG

    Bah!

  6. Disgruntled Goat wrote:
    > Interesting. I like it's looks. Holland is a bit far to test one and they don't have a UK
    > dealer, though.

    Look at it from a different perspective: fly with one of those awfully cheap low-cost airlines to
    The Netherlands, take a train to one of the towns they do "open bike days" (one day of riding on all
    available bikes for something like 20 pounds) make a decission, order and fly again some weeks later
    to collect it (or take a ferry). Probably your still cheaper than going through a UK dealer, had
    more to try and a lovely experience.

    Kees

  7. >>. Actually, I wouldn't recommend any SWB with indirect steering.

    >Why's that?

    I've yet to encounter indirect steering that didn't develop some play after a while (or had it
    right from the start). No great problem on a LWB (where you don't expect razor-sharp handling to
    begin with), but on a SWB, esp. with the front wheel close to the seat, direct steering is MUCH
    more precise.

    Mark van Gorkom.