Rainex on Oakleys?

Bob Banks

Guest
After a 2 hr ride in the rain yesterday and barely being able to see at times through my Oakleys, is
it ok to put "rainex" on the lenses? Thoughts/suggestions?

I've been doing on my mframes for years. Works a treat.

Never put em on iridium (sure it will work though) butr have on clear, yellow and persimmone
(pink ones!)

-j

"Bob Banks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After a 2 hr ride in the rain yesterday and barely being able to see at times through my Oakleys,
> is it ok to put "rainex" on the lenses? Thoughts/suggestions?

Bob Banks <[email protected]> wrote:
: After a 2 hr ride in the rain yesterday and barely being able to see at times through my Oakleys,
: is it ok to put "rainex" on the lenses? Thoughts/suggestions?

I don't know much about RainEx(?) other than I've used it for a while on my car's windscreen. I
assume it is a petro-chemical derived substance and contains solvents, etc. I would be a bit
circumspect about putting some on $200 Oakleys too. Perhaps you can experiment with cheap sunnies,
or contact the Rainex people directly for advice.

Whatever word you get, could you please post it here.

Thanks and cheerz, Lynzz

Not sure about glasses but RainX is defintely not recommended for plastic motorcycle windshields -
it causes them to craze. More than a few people have ruined their windshields that way. But it
might have a lot to do with the exact chemical formulation of the plastic (i.e., polycarbonate vs.
acrylic vs. ?)

James

[email protected] (Bob Banks) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> After a 2 hr ride in the rain yesterday and barely being able to see at times through my Oakleys,
> is it ok to put "rainex" on the lenses? Thoughts/suggestions?

A dealer told me to not put even Windex on the plastic lenses. If alcohol can hurt them, I'd be wary
of whatever the solvent is in Rain-X.

From Oakley's web site:

3. CAN OAKLEY LENSES BE BUFFED? The Iridium coated lenses should be treated with special care. When
not wearing your Oakley glasses they should be stored in the Micro Bag received with your
glasses. Use only the Micro Bag to clean the lenses. If you need to use a cleaning solution, use
a mild soap with warm water, ***do_not_use_any_solvents_or_chemicals***. The Micro Bag consists
of extremely fine fibrous threads tightly woven together. The actual thread substance and
construction method are of a sponge-like quality that lifts grease, moisture and dirt from the
lenses. The Micro Bag is machine washable and should be kept clean. [Emphasis added.]

Kirby.

"Bob Banks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After a 2 hr ride in the rain yesterday and barely being able to see at times through my Oakleys,
> is it ok to put "rainex" on the lenses? Thoughts/suggestions?

Cheap anti-fog: shaving cream. Wipe it on, wipe it off.

In article <[email protected]>, Tim McNamara
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Cheap anti-fog: shaving cream. Wipe it on, wipe it off.

Jeeze. I have never had my face fog up.

On my Oakleys.. I use something called Cat ****. Good stuff if you can get by the name.

FWIW

I have used Rain-X on my Oakleys for nigh on two years now after getting a non-answer from Oakley on
its advisability. I detect no deleterious effects on my Oakleys that are worn nearly daily and
certainly for every ride. I have my mirror, a Third Eye Micro-Mirror in my Oakleys and can't imagine
using any other. I carry a spare frame, lens and mirror in my stuff.

news:[email protected]...

"Kirby Krieger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> A dealer told me to not put even Windex on the plastic lenses. If alcohol can hurt them, I'd be
> wary of whatever the solvent is in Rain-X.

Windex is really bad for coated optics. It isn't alcohol but ammonia that is the problem. Ammonia
attacks optical coatings and I believe it can also cloud polycarbonate. Eyeglass labs use isopropyl
alcohol to clean all kinds of lenses so I assume this is safe for all coatings and materials.

ride with the wind... Bruce
--
Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company

In article <[email protected]>, "H. M. Leary"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Tim McNamara
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Cheap anti-fog: shaving cream. Wipe it on, wipe it off.
>
> Jeeze. I have never had my face fog up.

No, on your glasses. And the mirror in your bathroom.

> On my Oakleys.. I use something called Cat ****. Good stuff if you can get by the name.

Shaving cream works just as well at a fraction of the cost.

<[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, "H. M. Leary"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, Tim McNamara <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Cheap anti-fog: shaving cream. Wipe it on, wipe it off.
> >
> > Jeeze. I have never had my face fog up.
>
> No, on your glasses. And the mirror in your bathroom.
>
> > On my Oakleys.. I use something called Cat ****. Good stuff if you can get by the name.
>
> Shaving cream works just as well at a fraction of the cost.

I give in to your expertise.

I live in SE Pennsylvania, and have ridden to such places as Bird-in Hand, Intercourse, Paridise and
evan Moscow and Berlin, but for the life of me, where are Echolalia and Frippery......:)

HAND