Raised by the Pack

alienator

Jun 10, 2004
I don't normally advise anyone to read Bicycling magazine as there's almost never a good reason to read it, but this month I noticed they actually have a decent article, "Raised by the Pack", a story about a kid, from a troubled home, who was given a leg up by the Tucson cycling community and Tucson community in general. One person mentioned, Ralph Phillips, is the owner of Fairwheel Bikes, perhaps the best LBS I've ever been to. Ralph's contributions to the kid in the story are typical of the kinds of things that Fairwheel Bikes does. Another person mentioned in the article is a bit of an oddball.......to put things nicely. He's the Gray Wolf, a guy infamous in Tucson cycling circles. It's impossible to describe the Gray Wolf, so instead I've posted an interview done with him by the people from the Missing Saddle blog.

If you get a chance, the article is a worthy read.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaeeMh7qFhY]YouTube - Gray Wolf Part 1[/ame]

There's nothing wrong with Bicycle Magazine. I find it more informative and much more of a provider of accurate information than a number of people on this forum.

So, what's wrong with Bicycle Magazine?

GT Fanatic said:
I find it more informative and much more of a provider of accurate information than a number of people on this forum.

That probably says enough right there. When a professionally published monthly magazine can be said to be more informative than what some of the people post for free in their spare time on an internet forum, well....... that is something. :rolleyes:

I think that Bycycling Magazine is informative, but it tends to get repetative after a couple of years.

kdelong said:
I think that Bycycling Magazine is informative, but it tends to get repetative after a couple of years.
The repetitiveness tends to be the case with a lot of magazines lately, not just Bicycling. After a few years with not much new to write about, they just reprint articles - or snippets of them - from previous years.

all magazines, even Hustler, gets repetitive after a while but yet we keep opening them up...

cool story Alien.

frenchyge said:
That probably says enough right there. When a professionally published monthly magazine can be said to be more informative than what some of the people post for free in their spare time on an internet forum, well....... that is something. :rolleyes:

I rest my case...

cyberlegend1994 said:
The repetitiveness tends to be the case with a lot of magazines lately, not just Bicycling. After a few years with not much new to write about, they just reprint articles - or snippets of them - from previous years.

True. I subscribe to Guitar World and I can't tell you how many times I'm reading about Dimebag Darrell, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Stevie Ray Vaughan, or Keith Richards. While they're all (or were...) great musicians, sometimes I'd just like to read about someone else...

I also subscribe to a few automobile magazines and dropped the subscriptions on a few because they all had coverage of the same cars as each other in the issues for the same month. If I read about a Shelby Mustang in the May issue of Motor Trend, I don't need to read about it in the May issues of Car & Driver and Automobile, too.

Agree with Alienator that it was a good article. Often I find that Bicycling has interesting pieces like this; stuff about the human side of the sport. I enjoy the monthly feature on LBS as well.

The stuff that I don't like is all the hype about the latest and most-expensive bikes on the market. The reviews and "test reports" have some really stupid statements in them about stiffness, speed, ride, performance, etc on the latest wonder-bikes.

Personally, I wouldn't pay much for the subscription, but it's included in the annual membership fee for the LAB (League of American Bicyclists).

I liked the article.

My wife gave me a subscription this past Christmas. Beginning in January, they have sent us a monthly "reminder" to renew our subscription for next year, complete with a self addressed envelope. Highly doubt I will renew.

dhk2 said:
Agree with Alienator that it was a good article. Often I find that Bicycling has interesting pieces like this; stuff about the human side of the sport. I enjoy the monthly feature on LBS as well.

The stuff that I don't like is all the hype about the latest and most-expensive bikes on the market. The reviews and "test reports" have some really stupid statements in them about stiffness, speed, ride, performance, etc on the latest wonder-bikes.

Personally, I wouldn't pay much for the subscription, but it's included in the annual membership fee for the LAB (League of American Bicyclists).

I agree on the hype about the most expensive bikes on the market, but let's be honest, nobody wants to read about a "Next" that you'd find at Walmart for $159.99.

I've been dabbling in Competitor (Texas) which is a free magazine with topics on all different aspects from the world of sports from Chris McCormack's (World Ironman Champion) interview while at Auburn to xterra to the obvious cycling and running. It has plenty of adds, Lance's new Oakley Jawbone riding shades, to the usual bikes and whatnot but it being free it's hard to complain about that. If you guys could get it, I'd recommend a looksee.

*Scott Schaeffer, tan those freaking legs

President, Texas Mountain Biking Association. a written piece on him, a Teamsmacker no doubt, in this July's Competitor.

That's one cool dude. 12 lbs. ?? nice.

GT Fanatic said:
There's nothing wrong with Bicycle Magazine.
So, what's wrong with Bicycle Magazine?

You gotta read 'em first brotha. ;) "BICYCLING"

gman0482 said:
That's one cool dude. 12 lbs. ?? nice.

He's somethin' alright. That hill he takes in a bus, the one that goes up to his house? That hill hits an insane 3-4%. I love his utility belts. They'll be the next big thing in cycling. All the Pro Tour guys will be usin' em.......and carrying milk. No water.

gman0482 said:
You gotta read 'em first brotha. ;) "BICYCLING"

Got a free 1-yr subscription from Performance Bicycle. I've gotten 4 issues and don't see a problem with the magazine. I find there to be some decent articles and some good information. It isn't the bible of bicycle info by any stretch, but I don't find it to be a poor magazine.