Raised junctions

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Lardy Ninja, Mar 11, 2003.

  1. Lardy Ninja

    Lardy Ninja Guest

    This is slightly off topic but does anyone know why when side roads meet a main road, the junctions
    are sometimes raised to the same level as the pavement? This is supposed to be a safety feature but
    I have no idea what makes it safer than a normal junction where the road stays below the the
    pavement level. Any ideas or links to research?

    LN

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] (lardy ninja) wrote: ( This is slightly off topic but does anyone know why when
    side roads ) meet a main road, the junctions are sometimes raised to the same level ( as the
    pavement? This is supposed to be a safety feature but I have no ) idea what makes it safer than a
    normal junction where the road stays ( below the the pavement level. Any ideas or links to research?

    The intention is apparently both the psychological effect of a gate, and the speed limiting effect
    of what I am old enough to know as a sleeping policeman. The technical term for this traffic
    calming is an "entry treatment", and what you have is a raised entry treatment. See "vertical
    deflections" at:

    http://www.roads.dft.gov.uk/roadnetwork/ditm/tal/traffic/02_94/index.htm#vertical

  3. Ianb

    Ianb Guest

    "lardy ninja" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > This is slightly off topic but does anyone know why when side roads meet a main road, the
    > junctions are sometimes raised to the same level as the pavement? This is supposed to be a safety
    > feature but I have no idea what makes it safer than a normal junction where the road stays below
    > the the pavement level. Any ideas or links to research?
    >
    > LN

    Yes it is "safety" for when the car driver swerves to avoid that stealth cyclist he will not damage
    his cars suspension on the council owned Kerb!

    Ian B

  4. On 11 Mar 2003 05:08:41 -0800, [email protected] (lardy ninja) wrote:

    >This is slightly off topic but does anyone know why when side roads meet a main road, the junctions
    >are sometimes raised to the same level as the pavement? This is supposed to be a safety feature but
    >I have no idea what makes it safer than a normal junction where the road stays below the the
    >pavement level. Any ideas or links to research?
    >
    >LN

    It's known as a plateau junction. The idea is that perceived priority and convenience is returned to
    pedestrians. ie No bumping up and down at each junction. Safety benefit derives from the
    driver/cyclist/road user feeling he/she is moving into ped territory rather than peds feeling
    intimidated by having to move into car territory.