Raised "tables" on side roads

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by DaveR, Aug 14, 2004.

  1. DaveR

    DaveR Guest

    Hi All,

    I'm looking for some help from some
    of you wise citizens out there.

    My local authority has started to install
    features at the points where an urban side
    road joins a main road. These features are
    bumps that briefly bring the road up to the level
    of the pavement and are typically paved
    with red brick. (i.e. as if the pavement continued
    uninterrupted across the side road but turned red)
    These are fine except that they have a concrete
    kerb running along then of ~2-4cm high. A cyclist turning
    left into one of these is streets is likely to hit this kerb at
    a shallow angle and stands a pretty good chance
    of having their front wheel skid out from under them,
    particularly in the wet. (No I haven't done it yet!)

    So my question is: does anyone know where I can
    get a copy of road planning guidelines or whatever
    that say that although the raised tables are fine,
    having such kerbs is NOT A GOOD IDEA? I feel the LA
    are more likely to listen if I advise them quoting an
    "official document" rather than just my experience
    (or inviting some of them to try cycling over them
    themselves!)

    Dave

    Tags:

  2. j

    j Guest

    "DaveR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm looking for some help from some
    > of you wise citizens out there.
    >
    > My local authority has started to install
    > features at the points where an urban side
    > road joins a main road. These features are
    > bumps that briefly bring the road up to the level
    > of the pavement and are typically paved
    > with red brick. (i.e. as if the pavement continued
    > uninterrupted across the side road but turned red)
    > These are fine except that they have a concrete
    > kerb running along then of ~2-4cm high. A cyclist turning
    > left into one of these is streets is likely to hit this kerb at
    > a shallow angle and stands a pretty good chance
    > of having their front wheel skid out from under them,
    > particularly in the wet. (No I haven't done it yet!)
    >
    > So my question is: does anyone know where I can
    > get a copy of road planning guidelines or whatever
    > that say that although the raised tables are fine,
    > having such kerbs is NOT A GOOD IDEA? I feel the LA
    > are more likely to listen if I advise them quoting an
    > "official document" rather than just my experience
    > (or inviting some of them to try cycling over them
    > themselves!)
    >
    > Dave

    Here it is, under "vertical deflections"

    hth

    John

  3. j

    j Guest

    "DaveR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm looking for some help from some
    > of you wise citizens out there.
    >
    > My local authority has started to install
    > features at the points where an urban side
    > road joins a main road. These features are
    > bumps that briefly bring the road up to the level
    > of the pavement and are typically paved
    > with red brick. (i.e. as if the pavement continued
    > uninterrupted across the side road but turned red)
    > These are fine except that they have a concrete
    > kerb running along then of ~2-4cm high. A cyclist turning
    > left into one of these is streets is likely to hit this kerb at
    > a shallow angle and stands a pretty good chance
    > of having their front wheel skid out from under them,
    > particularly in the wet. (No I haven't done it yet!)
    >
    > So my question is: does anyone know where I can
    > get a copy of road planning guidelines or whatever
    > that say that although the raised tables are fine,
    > having such kerbs is NOT A GOOD IDEA? I feel the LA
    > are more likely to listen if I advise them quoting an
    > "official document" rather than just my experience
    > (or inviting some of them to try cycling over them
    > themselves!)
    >
    > Dave

    http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/page/dft_roads_504
    775-01.hcsp

  4. DaveR

    DaveR Guest

    j wrote:
    > "DaveR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Hi All,
    >>
    >>I'm looking for some help from some
    >>of you wise citizens out there.
    >>
    >>My local authority has started to install
    >>features at the points where an urban side
    >>road joins a main road. These features are
    >>bumps that briefly bring the road up to the level
    >>of the pavement and are typically paved
    >>with red brick. (i.e. as if the pavement continued
    >>uninterrupted across the side road but turned red)
    >>These are fine except that they have a concrete
    >>kerb running along then of ~2-4cm high. A cyclist turning
    >>left into one of these is streets is likely to hit this kerb at
    >>a shallow angle and stands a pretty good chance
    >>of having their front wheel skid out from under them,
    >>particularly in the wet. (No I haven't done it yet!)
    >>
    >>So my question is: does anyone know where I can
    >>get a copy of road planning guidelines or whatever
    >>that say that although the raised tables are fine,
    >>having such kerbs is NOT A GOOD IDEA? I feel the LA
    >>are more likely to listen if I advise them quoting an
    >>"official document" rather than just my experience
    >>(or inviting some of them to try cycling over them
    >>themselves!)
    >>
    >>Dave

    > http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/page/dft_roads_504
    > 775-01.hcsp