Raising my stem/handlebars

geardad

Jun 2, 2006
I'd like to raise my handlebars as potential solution for riding discomfort I've been having, but I'm a little cautious about loosening/tinkering with the headset assembly.

Can anyone point me toward a good tutorial (I am searching for same myself) or offer any advice?

I have a trek 730 whose stem has a hex bolt at the top, I presume holding part or all of it snugly.

is it simply a matter of loosening that bolt, raising the bars, and snugging it back down again, or is there more to it than that, with hazards potential?

thanks for any help!

gd

geardad said:
I'd like to raise my handlebars as potential solution for riding discomfort I've been having, but I'm a little cautious about loosening/tinkering with the headset assembly.

Can anyone point me toward a good tutorial (I am searching for same myself) or offer any advice?

I have a trek 730 whose stem has a hex bolt at the top, I presume holding part or all of it snugly.

is it simply a matter of loosening that bolt, raising the bars, and snugging it back down again, or is there more to it than that, with hazards potential?
There is a MINIMUM INSERTION LINE which is about 3" from the bottom of the stem that should not be exceeded, otherwise that's about the only precaution.

BTW. To state what should be obvious, use a 6mm ALLEN WRENCH (vs. an SAE ALLEN WRENCH ... there are/were a few bolts which used a 5mm, but they are rare, IMO ... obviously, some of the older stems used a hex headed bolt).