raising the H bar

Gadge

Jun 19, 2007
I need to raise the handle bar on my bike. As it has an "AHEADSET"
I can lower the height by removing the spacers but I need to raise the height by a couple of inches. Are there aheadset extensions that can be pruchased and if so what is the correct term as I cannot find anything on the web.

AHEAD is the brand name of the headset.. but anyway. At this point since the steerer tube has been cut the only way to raise your handlebars is to get a stem that angles up, unless you want to replace your fork with a new one and get it cut longer.

Eden said:
AHEAD is the brand name of the headset.. but anyway. At this point since the steerer tube has been cut the only way to raise your handlebars is to get a stem that angles up, unless you want to replace your fork with a new one and get it cut longer.
He can get a "stemless stem raiser" to increase the length/height of the steerer.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/stems/index.html

Check that out - learn something every day. I've always been told don't cut the steerer too short cause once you do, nothing can be done. Still I think if an angled stem would do it I'd go that way. Adding an extra piece seems a bit flimsy?

Eden said:
Still I think if an angled stem would do it I'd go that way. Adding an extra piece seems a bit flimsy?
Agree. You lose a little stiffness with the adapters, but probably not enough to worry you unless you were looking for a super stiff setup anyway.

For non-competitive, recreational, or club riding, a steerer tube extender would do just fine.

n

Thanks guys,

After edens initial post i panicked as I've just bought this bike and the idea of a new set of forks was worrying.
Anyway, I've got the part on order and it should be with me tomorrow

Thanks again,

Gadge

I fit a couple of these a month, Stem Risers, they come in Black and Silver: