Raleigh 18-23 tubing

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Patrick Herring, May 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Does anyone know what Raleigh 18-23 frame tubing is like e.g. is it some sort of re-branding of
    something from Reynolds i.e. good, or actually a cheap Raleigh alternative to something from
    Reynolds i.e. bad?

    p.s. I got 136 in the BBC IQ test this evening - ha! - so why am I not earning £100k+ in the City?

    --
    Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK http://www.anweald.co.uk
     
    Tags:


  2. Don't know about the tubing, but I always thought living near the Peak District rather than London
    automatically indicated a high IQ! :p

    ....exits left, pursued by a cyclist.....

    ---------------------------
    Peter Connolly Acute Computing Derby UK

    "Patrick Herring" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know what Raleigh 18-23 frame tubing is like e.g. is it some sort of re-branding of
    > something from Reynolds i.e. good, or actually a cheap Raleigh alternative to something from
    > Reynolds i.e. bad?
    >
    > p.s. I got 136 in the BBC IQ test this evening - ha! - so why am I not earning £100k+ in the City?
    >
    > --
    > Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK http://www.anweald.co.uk
     
  3. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    Patrick Herring wrote:

    > p.s. I got 136 in the BBC IQ test this evening - ha! - so why am I not earning £100k+ in the City?

    Because the average IQ of >50k earners was ninety something. Sounds likea load of ole bollocks to
    me. The 'non earners' had the highest average of 107, although nobody seemed to notice that this
    does involve most students as well as those on the dole.

    --

    -Alex

    ----------------------------------
    [email protected]

    http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
    ----------------------------------
     
  4. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Sun, 4 May 2003 23:28:18 +0000 (UTC), Alex Graham <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Because the average IQ of >50k earners was ninety something. Sounds likea load of ole bollocks to
    >me. The 'non earners' had the highest average of 107, although nobody seemed to notice that this
    >does involve most students as well as those on the dole.

    And OAPs

    James

    --
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg
     
  5. Thus spake [email protected] (Patrick Herring)

    > Does anyone know what Raleigh 18-23 frame tubing is like e.g. is it some sort of re-branding of
    > something from Reynolds i.e. good, or actually a cheap Raleigh alternative to something from
    > Reynolds i.e. bad?

    IIRC it was one above 'gas pipe' and minimally superior to standard 'gas pipe'. I think I had it on
    my Raleigh Sprite, which was similar to the 'Wisp' which was available at the time.[1] There again,
    it might have been '18-30' tubing. ..

    [1] 1978. Wisp was 5-speed lady's mixte. Sprite was 10-speed lady's mixte I bought as a special from
    JE James on Bramall Lane.

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected] Edgware.
     
  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Patrick Herring <[email protected]> typed:
    >
    > p.s. I got 136 in the BBC IQ test this evening - ha! - so why am I not earning £100k+ in the City?

    Probably added your score up wrong (or should that be right) ;-)

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "All truth goes through three steps: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
    Finally, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer
     
  7. Hello, This tube is as simply put as steel pipe suitable for making a cheap heavy tube for any
    job you might have in mind such as, gas pipe, water pipe, or simple basic cheap horrible bikes.
    Bye, John.

    --
    You MUST reply to one of the email address below---- NOTE:YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEND A REPLY TO
    THIS MESSAGE [email protected] [email protected]
    [email protected] John, Pauline & Hannah. Thornbury, South Gloucestershire. UK.
    http://www.pbase.com/john28july
     
  8. Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:

    | Thus spake [email protected] (Patrick Herring)
    |
    |
    | > Does anyone know what Raleigh 18-23 frame tubing is like e.g. is it some sort of re-branding of
    | > something from Reynolds i.e. good, or actually a cheap Raleigh alternative to something from
    | > Reynolds i.e. bad?
    |
    | IIRC it was one above 'gas pipe' and minimally superior to standard 'gas pipe'. I think I had it
    | on my Raleigh Sprite, which was similar to the 'Wisp' which was available at the time.[1] There
    | again, it might have been '18-30' tubing. ..

    Thanks. I've just tried lifting the bike made of said tubing and it's significantly heavier than my
    Reynolds bike even without a saddle and a back wheel. I think I'll turn down the offer of another
    free frame for a re-build.

    | [1] 1978. Wisp was 5-speed lady's mixte. Sprite was 10-speed lady's mixte I bought as a special
    | from JE James on Bramall Lane.

    Somehow I don't see JE James selling such a bike nowadays - it's either a racer or something covered
    in mud (or rather, that would look not inappropriate if covered in mud). Ah, wait a minute, I've
    just remembered they have two shops now. The above description is of the "techie" one - the only one
    I go into since I can actually buy bike parts in it - the other one has whole ranges of "n+1 steps
    above Halfords" bikes.

    --
    Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK http://www.anweald.co.uk
     
  9. [email protected] (Patrick Herring) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > | [1] 1978. Wisp was 5-speed lady's mixte. Sprite was 10-speed lady's mixte I bought as a special
    > | from JE James on Bramall Lane.
    >
    > Somehow I don't see JE James selling such a bike nowadays - it's either a racer or something
    > covered in mud (or rather, that would look not inappropriate if covered in mud). Ah, wait a
    > minute, I've just remembered they have two shops now. The above description is of the "techie" one
    > - the only one I go into since I can actually buy bike parts in it - the other one has whole
    > ranges of "n+1 steps above Halfords" bikes.

    2 shops in Sheffield? They only had the one when I lived there (as well as the ones in Rotherham and
    Chesterfield). Not that I ever used it - I lived nearer to the now-vanished Freewheel, and usually
    took my business there, but occasionally popped to Butterworth's if I was feeling flush enough to
    treat myself to Campag bits!

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York
     
  10. [email protected] (David E. Belcher) wrote:

    | [email protected] (Patrick Herring) wrote in message
    | news:<[email protected]>...
    | >
    | > | [1] 1978. Wisp was 5-speed lady's mixte. Sprite was 10-speed lady's mixte I bought as a
    | > | special from JE James on Bramall Lane.
    | >
    | > Somehow I don't see JE James selling such a bike nowadays - it's either a racer or something
    | > covered in mud (or rather, that would look not inappropriate if covered in mud). Ah, wait a
    | > minute, I've just remembered they have two shops now. The above description is of the "techie"
    | > one - the only one I go into since I can actually buy bike parts in it - the other one has whole
    | > ranges of "n+1 steps above Halfords" bikes.
    |
    | 2 shops in Sheffield? They only had the one when I lived there (as well as the ones in Rotherham
    | and Chesterfield).

    Yes, they have two shops both in Bramall Lane across the road from each other. Apart from the extra
    space they do look a bit like they're intended to separate the serious bikers from the riff-raff.

    | Not that I ever used it - I lived nearer to the now-vanished Freewheel, and usually took my
    | business there,

    So did I; most annoying that it closed, and also the O-Zone one which was almost as near to my work.

    | but occasionally popped to Butterworth's if I was feeling flush enough to treat myself to
    | Campag bits!

    That would be the Leppings Lane Butterworths rather than the Abbeydale Road Butterworths, I assume.

    --
    Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK http://www.anweald.co.uk
     
  11. [email protected] (Patrick Herring) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > | but occasionally popped to Butterworth's if I was feeling flush enough to treat myself to
    > | Campag bits!
    >
    > That would be the Leppings Lane Butterworths rather than the Abbeydale Road Butterworths,
    > I assume.

    Again, I wasn't aware that they had 2 branches. But yes, it was the one by Hillsborough footie
    ground (being a quick stroll from a Supertram stop).

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York
     
  12. [email protected] (David E. Belcher) wrote:

    | [email protected] (Patrick Herring) wrote in message
    | news:<[email protected]>...
    | >
    | > | but occasionally popped to Butterworth's if I was feeling flush enough to treat myself to
    | > | Campag bits!
    | >
    | > That would be the Leppings Lane Butterworths rather than the Abbeydale Road Butterworths, I
    | > assume.
    |
    | Again, I wasn't aware that they had 2 branches. But yes, it was the one by Hillsborough footie
    | ground (being a quick stroll from a Supertram stop).

    Ah, not off the same tree just two Mr Butterworths in this case. The above one sold me some nice
    Campy Record shifters from their box-of-bits for my rebuild, just so I could say my bike's equipped
    with Campagnolo gear. The other Butterworths is, I believe, also good but not to that level.

    --
    Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK http://www.anweald.co.uk
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...