Raleigh Chopper

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Smudger, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    I was at a boot sale in Southampton last Sunday and there was a bloke selling a yellow Raleigh
    Chopper for £400. It was in good nick though.

    Tags:

  2. "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > I was at a boot sale in Southampton last Sunday and there was a bloke selling a yellow Raleigh
    > Chopper for £400. It was in good nick though.

    I remember these bikes from my childhood, with their 3 speed car-style gear shifters, which now
    appear to have a cult following!

  3. Tim Dunne

    Tim Dunne Guest

    "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I remember these bikes from my childhood, with their 3 speed car-style
    gear
    > shifters, which now appear to have a cult following!

    Not much cop for touring, though...

    Tim

    --
    Sent from Brum, UK... ...scheduled completion Sept 2003 'What's keeping the White House white? Is it
    chalk, is it fog, is it fear?' Steve Skaith, 'America For Beginners' Look, mum, an anorak on a bike!

  4. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]pol.co.uk...
    >
    > > I was at a boot sale in Southampton last Sunday and there was a bloke selling a yellow Raleigh
    > > Chopper for £400. It was in good nick though.
    >
    > I remember these bikes from my childhood, with their 3 speed car-style
    gear
    > shifters, which now appear to have a cult following!

    Absolutely. Look at this:

    http://www.rcoc.co.uk/

  5. Albert

    Albert Guest

    "Tim Dunne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > I remember these bikes from my childhood, with their 3 speed car-style
    > gear
    > > shifters, which now appear to have a cult following!
    >
    > Not much cop for touring, though...
    >
    > Tim

    I disagree.

    when you are 10, a raleigh chopper will take you anywhere you want to go

    I *loved* my raleigh chopper and didn't care when everyone else bought grifters.

    I stayed faithful to my chopper for years until I saw the raleigh ultraburner....

    /goes wistful .... gold it was, with black mag wheels ...

    Albert

  6. Tim Dunne

    Tim Dunne Guest

    "Albert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > when you are 10, a raleigh chopper will take you anywhere you want to go

    Good point, well put :)

    > I *loved* my raleigh chopper and didn't care when everyone else bought
    grifters.

    I was a Grifter man meself...

    Tim
    --
    Sent from Brum, UK... ...scheduled completion Sept 2003 'What's keeping the White House white? Is it
    chalk, is it fog, is it fear?' Steve Skaith, 'America For Beginners' Look, mum, an anorak on a bike!
    Check out www.nervouscyclist.org

  7. Albert

    Albert Guest

    "Tim Dunne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Albert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > when you are 10, a raleigh chopper will take you anywhere you want to go
    >
    > Good point, well put :)
    >
    > > I *loved* my raleigh chopper and didn't care when everyone else bought
    > grifters.
    >
    > I was a Grifter man meself...
    >
    > Tim

    they were *tuff* .. I think they were made from scaffold tubing.

    and that thick foam padding on the handlebars, mad.

    grifters were excellent for wheelies, better than a chopper by far, but only if you had the strength
    to get them up on the back wheel :)

    Albert

  8. Scott Leckey

    Scott Leckey Guest

    "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I was at a boot sale in Southampton last Sunday and there was a bloke selling a yellow Raleigh
    > Chopper for £400. It was in good nick though.

    I caught a snippet of a TV programme a day or two ago. I didn't see which prog it was or even which
    channel. A bloke on there collected Choppers. IIRC, he had about 40! We saw a view of his seaside
    garden with all of the bikes out on display. Amazing!

    Scott Leckey

  9. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I was at a boot sale in Southampton last Sunday and there was a bloke selling a yellow Raleigh
    > Chopper for £400. It was in good nick though.

    I had the Chipper. This was the Chopper without the gears. I was a poor child ;-)

    Peter.

  10. >I had the Chipper. This was the Chopper without the gears. I was a poor child ;-)

    I was even more poor - I was denied Matey bubble bath on the grounds it was too expensive.

    Sob ... sob ...

    helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  11. "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > I was at a boot sale in Southampton last Sunday and there was a bloke selling a yellow Raleigh
    > > Chopper for £400. It was in good nick though.
    >
    > I remember these bikes from my childhood, with their 3 speed car-style
    gear
    > shifters, which now appear to have a cult following!

    I was never allowed to have one - my Mum thought they were dangerous (unbalanced and could tip over
    backwards). Did this actually ever happen to anyone?

  12. Toby Barrett

    Toby Barrett Guest

    "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> I was at a boot sale in Southampton last Sunday and there was a bloke selling a yellow Raleigh
    >> Chopper for œ400. It was in good nick though.
    >
    > I had the Chipper. This was the Chopper without the gears. I was a poor child ;-)

    Ditto. My friend Mark had a brand new Raleigh Chopper, but my brother and I got second hand bikes of
    unrecalled provenance. My brother's had rod brakes (this was the mid 1970s); mine had cables at
    least, but all the other kids on the street took delight in pointing out that the sloping top-tube
    meant it was "a girl's bike". Oh the deprivation!

    Eventually, I got a second hand Chopper (just as they were going out of fashion) which got passed on
    through the family. My Father tells me that it is still in the cellar at home. Perhaps I should get
    hold of it and have it renovated?

    Toby

    --
    Remove spamtrap to reply by mail

  13. Peter

    Peter Guest

    > >I had the Chipper. This was the Chopper without the gears. I was a poor child ;-)
    > >

    > I was even more poor - I was denied Matey bubble bath on the grounds it
    was too
    > expensive.
    >
    > Sob ... sob ...
    >
    > helen s
    >

    > ~~~~~~~~~~
    > Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending
    > reply!
    >
    > Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
    keyboaRRRDdd
    > ~~~~~~~~~~

    That is close to cruelty. Everyone should have Matey bubble bath!!

    I remember a friend getting a Grifter. I pleaded for one. No chance. I also pleaded for a Super Tuff
    Burner (gold with black mag wheels). Didn't get one of those either. Ah well.

    Peter.

  14. Thus spake [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter)

    > >That is close to cruelty. Everyone should have Matey bubble bath!!

    > Someone understands! It makes the burden of a deprived childhood so much easier to bear.

    We had Matey but only as a special treat.

    Killing the bubbles with a bar of soap was good fun...

  15. [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >I had the Chipper. This was the Chopper without the gears. I was a poor child ;-)
    > >

    > I was even more poor - I was denied Matey bubble bath on the grounds it was too expensive.

    Bath? Luxury! We had to make do with a deep puddle in the middle of the road! But enough of Monty
    Python, and back to the Raleigh Chopper - I had the inevitable 3-speed version in a rather dodgy
    purple colour, though a deluxe model was apparently available with a 5sp. derailleur; never saw one
    myself. From memory, the Chopper was damned hard work, especially uphill, as it weighed a ton, and
    certainly wasn't built for speed. After that it was drop-bar bikes all the way, finally getting my
    first Reynolds-framed (only 501 Cr-Mo, mind) road bike for my 16th birthday!

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

    P.S. Just for the record, I was regularly bought Matey bubble bath as a kid!

  16. Murk

    Murk Guest

    "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I was at a boot sale in Southampton last Sunday and there was a bloke selling a yellow Raleigh
    > > Chopper for £400. It was in good nick though.
    >

    > I had the Chipper. This was the Chopper without the gears. I was a poor child ;-)
    >
    > Peter.

    Weren't there three bikes in the range? The Chipper was the smallest and the Chopper the biggest,
    but I think there was a Tomahawk in-between. My mate had one of those. I remember three of us
    climbing on it, two on the big saddle and one on the bars between saddle and handlebars (where the
    gears were on the Chopper), in our town centre and embarking on a frantic two mile descent. The
    brakes were useless against our collective mass, even the smoking bottoms of our shoes were pretty
    ineffectual. We flew past our estate and out on to waste ground where a front wheel sized hole
    brought us to an abrupt stop. We flew over the bars into a mangle of arms, legs, cuts and bruises,
    laughing hysterically, and desperate to do it again -).

    Thanks for bringing back the memory.

  17. Peter

    Peter Guest

    < snip >

    Reynolds-framed (only 501 Cr-Mo, mind) road bike for my 16th birthday!

    > David E. Belcher
    >
    > Dept. of Chemistry, University of York
    >
    > P.S. Just for the record, I was regularly bought Matey bubble bath as a kid!

    Some kids were just spoiled ;-)

    Peter.

  18. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Albert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Tim Dunne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Albert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > > when you are 10, a raleigh chopper will take you anywhere you want to
    go

    > > Good point, well put :)
    > >
    > > > I *loved* my raleigh chopper and didn't care when everyone else bought
    > > grifters.
    > >
    > > I was a Grifter man meself...
    > >
    > > Tim
    >

    > they were *tuff* .. I think they were made from scaffold tubing.
    >
    > and that thick foam padding on the handlebars, mad.
    >
    > grifters were excellent for wheelies, better than a chopper by far, but
    only
    > if you had the strength to get them up on the back wheel :)

    I remember doing the South Wales Echo 50 mile ride in the 80's. I was on a Dave Lloyd Campy
    equipped road bike, close to the front with a load of other club riders treating the charity ride
    as a race! About fifteen miles in a fat rugby player type bloke overtook me on a battered Grifter.
    Very humbling.

  19. [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > >I had the Chipper. This was the Chopper without the gears. I was a poor child ;-)
    > >

    > I was even more poor - I was denied Matey bubble bath on the grounds it was too expensive.
    >
    > Sob ... sob ...
    >
    > helen s

    Did you find any cheaper way of making heaps of suds? Like using shampoo or household detergent, or
    blowing thru a soapy washcloth?

  20. Stephen \

    Stephen \ Guest

    "Murk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I was at a boot sale in Southampton last Sunday and there was a bloke selling a yellow Raleigh
    > > > Chopper for £400. It was in good nick
    though.

    > > I had the Chipper. This was the Chopper without the gears. I was a poor child ;-)
    > >
    > > Peter.
    >
    > Weren't there three bikes in the range? The Chipper was the smallest and the Chopper the biggest,
    > but I think there was a Tomahawk in-between. My mate had one of those. I remember three of us
    > climbing on it, two on the big saddle and one on the bars between saddle and handlebars (where the
    > gears were on the Chopper), in our town centre and embarking on a frantic two mile descent. The
    > brakes were useless against our collective mass, even the smoking bottoms of our shoes were pretty
    > ineffectual. We flew past our estate and out on to waste ground where a front wheel sized hole
    > brought us to an abrupt stop. We flew over the bars into a mangle of arms, legs, cuts and bruises,
    > laughing hysterically, and desperate to do it again -).
    >
    > Thanks for bringing back the memory.

    IIRC I think it specifically said on the warning on the seat not to do that!!

    I had a Strika (small grifter) with no gears and the pedal-backwards drum brake. It was excellent
    until I wore down the tires with loads of skids (so easy on the back brake) and my dad ordered some
    new ones cheap from a neighbour that worked in the industry. When they turned up they were white
    slicks and the Strika never looked as good again. I think I gave it to my brother and got a racer.