Raleigh Chopper

and Helen Wafflycat wrote:
> And I was denied that ... sob ... weep...

You were denied soap? Were you a smelly child as well as poor then? ;-)

(Mind you, I managed to go a month without a bath once. I'm not sure quite *how* I kept persuading
my parents that I'd had one).

Thomas Paine

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 12:57:51 +0000 (UTC), "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>

>> I was even more poor - I was denied Matey bubble bath on the grounds it
>was too
>> expensive.
>>

>> helen s
>>

>> ~~~~~~~~~~
>

>That is close to cruelty. Everyone should have Matey bubble bath!!
>
>I Peter.

Nah . cruelty was my dad fed up with me getting regulary filthy was putting me in the Sheep Dip,
after the Sheep.

G.Harman.

On 26 Mar 2003 06:57:25 -0800, [email protected] (David E. Belcher) wrote:

>But enough of Monty Python, and back to the Raleigh Chopper - I had the inevitable 3-speed version
>in a rather dodgy purple colour, though a deluxe model was apparently available with a 5sp.
>derailleur; never saw one myself.

David

But there were Choppers and Choppers. The older models had handle bars that could be raked towards
the... erm... cyclist. Wheelies were far easier on these older machines than on the newer, fixed
bar bikes.

IIRC, the older models had a gear shifter similar to that found in a car, whereas the newer bike had
the T-shaped lever.

Whatever. I eventually broke both of mine by overdoing my Evil Knevil impersonations. The rear end
of the seat (both bikes) sort of unwelded itself from the rest of the frame.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:35:43 GMT, [email protected] (g.harman) wrote:

>Nah . cruelty was my dad fed up with me getting regulary filthy was putting me in the Sheep Dip,
>after the Sheep.

Sheep dip, lad? Sheep dip? When I were a lad the sheep were sand blasted. By 'eck, times were 'ard -
as were the sheep.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:

> I was even more poor - I was denied Matey bubble bath on the grounds it was too expensive.

Snap! My gran used to buy me one bottle a year at Xmas!

Toby Barrett <[email protected]> wrote:

> My brother's had rod brakes (this was the mid 1970s); mine had cables at least, but all the other
> kids on the street took delight in pointing out that the sloping top-tube meant it was "a girl's
> bike". Oh the deprivation!
I had the same problem but it was self inflicted , my first new bike was a Moulton Super 4 in a
wonderful shiney metallic red, complete with white saddle and saddle bag. Never mind that it was far
superior to any other bike in the neighbour hood , it was a "girlie bike" :-(

> Eventually, I got a second hand Chopper (just as they were going out of fashion) which got passed
> on through the family. My Father tells me that it is still in the cellar at home. Perhaps I should
> get hold of it and have it renovated?

I'm looking for a Super 4 ...

Smudger <[email protected]> wrote:

> I remember doing the South Wales Echo 50 mile ride in the 80's. I was on a Dave Lloyd Campy
> equipped road bike, close to the front with a load of other club riders treating the charity ride
> as a race!

My motorclub used to marshal the feeding station on that, either at the bottom of Crack Hill or at
Ewenny pottery.

Marc <[email protected]> wrote:
> wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> I was even more poor - I was denied Matey bubble bath on the grounds it was too expensive.
>
> Snap! My gran used to buy me one bottle a year at Xmas!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/years/1983/toys2.shtml

Enjoy

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
Bernard Shaw

"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 26 Mar 2003 06:57:25 -0800, [email protected] (David E. Belcher) wrote:
>
> >But enough of Monty Python, and back to the Raleigh Chopper - I had the inevitable 3-speed
> >version in a rather dodgy purple colour, though a deluxe model was apparently available with a
> >5sp. derailleur; never saw one myself.
>
> David
>
> But there were Choppers and Choppers. The older models had handle bars that could be raked towards
> the... erm... cyclist. Wheelies were far easier on these older machines than on the newer, fixed
> bar bikes.

correct, the adjustable stem. a coveted customisation on a mkII.

> IIRC, the older models had a gear shifter similar to that found in a car, whereas the newer bike
> had the T-shaped lever.

yep, sadly they were not interchangable. had to change all the gubbins, too.

> Whatever. I eventually broke both of mine by overdoing my Evil Knevil impersonations. The rear end
> of the seat (both bikes) sort of unwelded itself from the rest of the frame.

my chopper went down hill from the time the 'bars snapped off just above the stem (slow distracting
tear movement in the 'bars mid wheelie followed by impressive crash) and I lamely put some drops on
it in an attempt to convert it into a 5sp racer. didn't happen. it just looked mad with the high
backed seat.

it went into the shed jammed indignantly behind it's usurper: a red gilera 50 :)

hmm, I'm having thoughts about a full custom MK1 10sp with alloy wheels ...

Albert

In message id <[email protected]> on 26 Mar 2003 08:09:32 -0800,
Robert Goodman wrote in uk.rec.cycling :

>[email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> >I had the Chipper. This was the Chopper without the gears. I was a poor child ;-)
>> >

>> I was even more poor - I was denied Matey bubble bath on the grounds it was too expensive.
>>
>> Sob ... sob ...
>>
>> helen s
>
>Did you find any cheaper way of making heaps of suds? Like using shampoo or household detergent, or
>blowing thru a soapy washcloth?

Or baked beans for lunch?

<<I was even more poor - I was denied Matey bubble bath on the grounds it was too expensive. >>

But it cleaned the bath as well - there aint a mark in sight!

Didn't that make it better value (though a bit worrying for the skin?)

RC