Raleigh Compact Conversion Questions.

duhhuh

Apr 17, 2005
OK guys, I have an older Raleigh Technium Pre that I literally was paid to take. It is in good shape and is currently fitted like this...
50/40 front and 14/28 six speed on the rear. The rear derailer is a Suntour Accushift 3040 with an indexed shifter. The front is the Suntour friction.

What I want to do...
Change the front crank for a 50/34 compact
Change the rear freewheel to a seven speed ( I have the freewheel already to go on a Weinmann rim and I know I have to change the shifter the rear shifter only had six detents.)

Now the questions...
1) The 7 speed freewheel is a Shimano Hyperglide. The Raleigh has brazeons for the downtube shifters. Will Dura Ace, or Ultegra seven speed indexed brazeons shift it correctly?

2) The front derailer is a Suntour don't know the model, but if it shifts 50/40, will it shift 50/34 OK?

3) The rear derailer is the Accushift 3040, will it shift the 7 speed OK.

4) Will a short cage Dura Ace rear derailer shift the 7 speed with the compact crank?

I have some of the stuff and have a line on the rest, what I need the most help with is will this stuff work together?

Post Script: I have another bike (Trek 1500) so I can have this thing down for a while to work on it. But I really like the thing and want to kick it up a notch. I live in WV, am 56 with a couple of herniated discs, so I need something more than the 40/28 combo on the hills around here. Thanks everybody in advance.