Raleigh Dyna-tech

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by David Belbin, Mar 22, 2003.

  1. David Belbin

    David Belbin Guest

    I have just bought a second hand Raleigh Dyna-tech 701. Is there anywhere on the web that I could
    find the frame spec for this bike? Does anyone know if there was a technical reason why Raleigh
    stopped producing the bonded frame design?

    --
    Regards David.

    Tags:

  2. It could be because of too frequent failures.

    A friend of mine has 3 of them crack. Mind you he is a big mileage cyclist but not heavy. About 12
    stone. He had three fail and eventually they replaced the last failure with a non-bonded frame. I
    don't know how he's got on with that.

  3. David Belbin

    David Belbin Guest

    >It could be because of too frequent failures.<
    That's what I didn't want to hear!! Has anyone got one which has not cracked? When did Raleigh go
    back to steel? Any info., including frame spec of a 701, would be appreciated. David.

    "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It could be because of too frequent failures.
    >
    > A friend of mine has 3 of them crack. Mind you he is a big mileage cyclist but not heavy. About 12
    > stone. He had three fail and eventually they replaced the last failure with a non-bonded frame. I
    > don't know how he's
    got
    > on with that.

  4. Me

    Me Guest

    Hey, kinda off topic but I went to the Science Museam in London (the one with all the airplanes and
    the London Eye Capsul in the big exibition hall and if you go upstairs into the MATERIALs section,
    where they have all the Titanium stuff, they have a Dyna-tech on display as one of the first
    mainstream applications of Ti. I think skis were next to it. Also had a little blurb about Raeligh
    Special Products on the card.

    Anyway, it was cool to look at...

    -j

    news:[email protected]...

  5. David Belbin wrote:
    > I have just bought a second hand Raleigh Dyna-tech 701. Is there anywhere on the web that I could
    > find the frame spec for this bike? Does anyone know if there was a technical reason why Raleigh
    > stopped producing the bonded frame design?

    I have one of the low-end Dyna-techs in the shed. I think the 701 was in effect 531 or even 753,
    though Raleigh had Reynolds make special tubing for the Dyna-techs.

    I think they vanished for the same reason most mass-maunfacturers abandoned steel in the mid-late
    90s: fashion. Aluminium looks chunky and sells. Steel doesn't.

    Hey... David Belbin... Queens', 1984- ... canoe fiend?

    --
    John Stevenson [email protected]

  6. David Belbin

    David Belbin Guest

    >Hey... David Belbin... Queens', 1984- ... canoe fiend?<
    Not me, but I believe he represented GB, a few years ago. Regards David.

    "John Stevenson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > David Belbin wrote:
    > > I have just bought a second hand Raleigh Dyna-tech 701. Is there anywhere on the web that I
    > > could find the frame spec for this
    bike?
    > > Does anyone know if there was a technical reason why Raleigh stopped producing the bonded frame
    > > design?
    >
    > I have one of the low-end Dyna-techs in the shed. I think the 701 was in effect 531 or even 753,
    > though Raleigh had Reynolds make special tubing for the Dyna-techs.
    >
    > I think they vanished for the same reason most mass-maunfacturers abandoned steel in the mid-late
    > 90s: fashion. Aluminium looks chunky and sells. Steel doesn't.
    >
    > Hey... David Belbin... Queens', 1984- ... canoe fiend?
    >
    > --
    > John Stevenson [email protected]

  7. Alfaro

    Alfaro New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2003
    Hello guys:

    Reynolds WERE NOT involved with the Raleigh Dyna-tech frameset . All the material was purchased direct from IMI in the UK by Raleigh. In the case of Titanium it was grade CP2

    Hope this help.