Raleigh Grand Sport--good starter bike?

norcio

Sep 30, 2007
Hey all, I am totally new to the cycling scene but can't wait to get into it. I have been taking spin classes at the gym for the past year ever since my girlfriend began teaching them... but for some reason I have a difficult time doing cardio exercise indoors. So about 3 months ago i decided to look into purchasing a road bike and get into the sport. Now that I have the cash to buy one, I'm looking for a little advice :)

I went to the local bike shop where I live because I have heard a lot of good things about the shop and the owner. It also seems that a lot of the riders in my hometown like to buy from there as well. I explained to the store owner that I wanted to get a better-that-average, entry level bicycle under $1000. I was on the track team in college (just graduated in May) so I explained to him that I'm in pretty good shape already, and have decent endurance. So with those details in mind, he recommended the Raleigh Grand Sport double.

http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=5&itemid=414

I've been searching the internet for reviews on this bike, but can't find anything that helps. Does anyone have experience with this bike, or know anything about it? I like to do my homework on purchases like this, so any advice is welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

Forgot some details:

• $899 for the bike (original price $1100)
  • mentioned that this model had an Ultegra rear derailer (which for some reason doesn't show up on the website)
  • He fitted me, I got to test ride it, but really have nothing to compare it to :confused:
Thanks for the feedback!

I haven't used the Grand Sport 2008 that you mentioned which seems to be great.
But I like my Scattante R-560 Road Bike very much. Shimano 105 components mounted onto a double butted aluminum frame delivers hill flattening power while remaining lightweight and strong. TruVativ cranks provide stiff, efficient power and the Formula Element wheelset will have you riding strong for hours on end. I think it's a good sport bike for me. I got it for $900 that sold for $1250. You can look up
http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?deal_id=61774