Raleigh M-40 self destructs

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Pat, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat

Pat Guest

x-no-archive:yes

I went to take out my beater bike today for a ride, only to find the plastic parts holding the
    cables on to the handlebar for the grip shifters have broken. Both sides broke in exactly the same
    place. I knew it was hot in my garage, but this is ridiculous! If I can't get some cheap replacement
    grip shifters, I guess I will have a single speed bike. Has this happened to anyone else?

Pat in TX

Tags:

2. Mark Hickey

Mark Hickey Guest

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I went to take out my beater bike today for a ride, only to find the plastic parts holding the
    >cables on to the handlebar for the grip shifters have broken. Both sides broke in exactly the
    >same place. I knew it was hot in my garage, but this is ridiculous! If I can't get some cheap
    >replacement grip shifters, I guess I will have a single speed bike. Has this happened to
    >anyone else?

Kind of hard to picture what broke, but if both broke at the same time, I'll bet you a dollar to a
    donut that they were both lubed with some sort of petrochemical (aka "oil"). Oil will embrittle the
    plastic in a grip shift and it will then break very easily.

I've had the same shifters on my own bike for probably 5 years now, and wore the original grips down
    to nothing, and am now working on the second set. They still work as well as they did when they were
    new - because there's really not much to wear out.

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

3. Pat

Pat Guest

x-no-archive:yes

>
    > Kind of hard to picture what broke, but if both broke at the same time, I'll bet you a dollar to a
    > donut that they were both lubed with some sort of petrochemical (aka "oil"). Oil will embrittle
    > the plastic in a grip shift and it will then break very easily.
    >
    > I've had the same shifters on my own bike for probably 5 years now, and wore the original grips
    > down to nothing, and am now working on the second set. They still work as well as they did when
    > they were new - because there's really not much to wear out.
    >
    > Mark Hickey

I don't know what to call it, but I am talking about an 'L' shaped piece of plastic where the
    cable inside its housing joins on to the grip shifter at the handlebar. I bet you are right,
    because when a person turns the grip shifter, this 'L' shaped plastic takes a lot of pressure to
    pull on the cable.

Pat in TX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.