Raleigh Mega Max: A Lot On The Heavy Side

Jim

Guest
My daughter has a Raleigh Mega Max. I was shocked to find yesterday that it
seems heavier than my Harry Hall touring bike (complete with 'guards and
pannier rack).

It is built like a tank. No wonder the poor thing was struggling on a long
ride (10 miles or so for a 7 yr. old last summer) on it.

Just wondered what bikes other people's kids have (my daughter is 8 now). I
love the look of the Islabike range, but they are way too expensive for us
(like £200 for one of their standard kids bikes - my bike was £250, and that
was 3rd hand, and 15 years old!).

Jim wrote:
> My daughter has a Raleigh Mega Max. I was shocked to find yesterday
> that it seems heavier than my Harry Hall touring bike (complete with
> 'guards and pannier rack).
>
> It is built like a tank. No wonder the poor thing was struggling on a
> long ride (10 miles or so for a 7 yr. old last summer) on it.
>
> Just wondered what bikes other people's kids have (my daughter is 8
> now). I love the look of the Islabike range, but they are way too
> expensive for us (like £200 for one of their standard kids bikes - my
> bike was £250, and that was 3rd hand, and 15 years old!).

OK, taking the view that you need cheap...

Is your daughter tall enough to handle an old Moulton "Mini" ? Should be
lighter than a multi-geared tank, and may pick up one cheaply if lucky
But may fail the "bling" and "friends credibility" test.

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Classic ebay territory. Kids don't wear bikes out - they grow out of them.
And many barely use them before they do. Use 'advanced search' to specify
'used' (not new) and within 25 miles of your postcode, plus 'aluminium'
('search title & description') then google any likely candidates. A little
homework and a little patience will get you a good bike for 20 or less. (Not
great...very few exist at that level, not surprisingly.)

Good luck.