Raleigh redux vs haro beasley

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Losgrinn, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Losgrinn

Losgrinn New Member

Hey,
    I have come off a long hiatus from mountain biking due to cost and health issues. I got given a really crappy, small and old bike that was rigid last year and I actually grew to love it. Now I have a bit of money and I want to upgrade to something that actually fits me. Finding a rigid bike in my price range took a long time but I found two bikes I am really interested in. I am out of the loop about bikes and bike parts from not biking for 8 years and I am having a hard time making a decision. Wondering if you guys might have some insights to help me make a decision.

I am not doing any major downhill biking anymore due to too many previous concussions but these days I am doing light trail riding and street riding. I really like both the Haro beasley and the Raleigh redux for the price and style. I would be able to put in another $100 into a bike if it was worth it.

Any help would be awesome, thanks!

(sorry it wont let me post links)

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Which redux?
    The Raleigh is from the ”urban” series, I’d be concerned about using it for trail riding. Even If you think you’re going ”gently”.
    Check the fine print. Many of similar bikes come with a disclaimer ”for casual use only”.
    Haven’t used Tektro mechanicals, but I wasn’t impressed with Tektro hydros.
    1x drivetrains are all the rage these days. I can just about get away with a 1x9/10 on my commuter, but I don’t want one on my MTB. For my kind of riding and fitness level, 1x8 would not give both the range and ratios that I like.
    Haven’t used any Promax brakes.
    Both have fairly primitive front dropouts and axles. Make sure you use closed-mechanism quick-releases closed well to avoid wheel ejection from braking.

3. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

I'm going to assume he's looking at the entry level models of both.

I think the Haro comes with Shimano Tourney derailleurs and the Raleigh with Shimano Acera, if that is true you want the Raleigh because the derailleurs are two grades better than the Tourney.

If those are not the correct derailleur models please list the model names of both and we can tell which is the better group.